F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Poor Ocon.

This track turned out pretty good. They should keep it on the calendar for a while.
10 year contract! 😅

But, like I said before, it's not a good track to race... too dangerous. They need to make some tweaks. When you have that many incidences, that many red flags... it's not good.

10 year contract! 😅

But, like I said before, it's not a good track to race... too dangerous. They need to make some tweaks. When you have that many incidences, that many red flags... it's not good.

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if it was a one-time deal since I didn’t remember but I guess not. Lol.

Definitely need some tweaks. I am sure next race held there it will be safer and less dangerous. I am sure they learned a lot from the earlier red flag crash.

It's such a shame cuz Max is so good... but then he'll pull stuff like this. He's better than that, IMO. I wouldn't go so far as to call him 'dirty' cuz I've watched enough racing (not just in F1, but other categories) to have seen some properly dirty racers. I'd classify some of Max's moves as excessively aggressive, over the line, questionable, etc. Hope RBR will straighten him out internally, for his own sake and career.

Max had a rep from like 2016 for moving under braking but then things died down a bit butits probaly due to the fact that the Red Bull was in no man's land for a couple of years while Mercedes and Ferrari diced it out for the championship. It's just being brought back now that he's in the limelight again and fighting cars with similar pace.

His speed has improved but the antics and dirty driving hasn't changed IMO.

Max gonna pull a senna v. prost on turn 1

"Verstappen is trying to go through on the inside... and it's happened immediately! This is amazing!"

Max is gonna be in Abu Dhabi playing Burnout Paradise

Its pretty easy to see that MB has all the momentum going in to the last race.
Lewis has been the champ, this is nothing new to him. The pressure has and will continue to get to Max, i foresee a troubling race next weekend.

Popcorn will be ready.

Merc def has the momentum. Car has looked a lot stronger than the RBR over the last few races... and with the reprofiled Abu circuit, the turn heading onto the backstraight should benefit the Mercs. Title is Lewis' to lose.

10 seconds and still 2nd…..

Yeah, but that's just how the penalties are applied. I agree that it doesn't feel fair or consistent, but once you start having position-based penalties, it will get even worse... more inconsistent. This discussion has been going on for a long time, but I don't know how they can make it better. And they could not have given him a grid pen for Abu, so that was never an option.

Still thinking about this bizarre race. I think the most bizarre aspect of it was hearing Masi make offers to RBR. I dunno if this had been going on all this time cuz this was the first year they started broadcasting FIA-team radio. He's getting a lot of criticism, but I really do wonder how Charlie Whiting would have handled this. RIP.

These were the situations that came to my mind yesterday:
Spa 1998. Schumi was coming up to lap DC... DC slowed right down and, with all that spray, Schumi ran into him, ending both their races.
Completely different scenario to Max vs Lewis, but it was what popped into my mind the moment it happened. 😅

Spa (again) 2008. Lewis vs Kimi in the final laps with the track starting to get slippery. Lewis had the speed and overtook Kimi at the bus stop chicane, but did so cutting the chicane. Obvs, this was not legal, so Lewis had to give the place back. The problem was that Lewis immediately overtook Kimi at T1. IIRC, the rule was that Lewis had to wait one more corner before he was allowed to attempt an overtake again. Felt similar to me in that Max let Lewis through, but immediately re-overtook him.

Anyway... can't wait for Jolyon's analysis this week.

IIRC, Lewis got a 10s penalty for 'causing a collision' at Silverstone when he crashed with Max. Max DNF'd, while Lewis served his pen in the pitstop.

If from the outside looking in the race to the title is this exciting, the episode in Drive to Survive better be good.

Hopefully it isn't until somebody gets hurt badly before Max starts driving less recklessly.

Been looking at the break test footage all day, I still have no idea why Lewis didn't just overtook Max
soon as he saw him slowing down. There was enough space, why was his instinct to stick it out behind
him. It doesn't look right at all, the left side was wide open and he had 2 seconds to decide what to do.
Still the weirdest moment to me, very odd.

the broadcast on espn made it seem like they had told RBR about Max giving up his place but it wasn't yet communicated to Lewis.

this does kind of makes sense cause why wouldn't Lewis just pass him, it's hard to know for sure cause they do edit/limit the radio on the broadcast for dramatic effect.

IIRC, Lewis got a 10s penalty for 'causing a collision' at Silverstone when he crashed with Max. Max DNF'd, while Lewis served his pen in the pitstop.

which was fair but that was a racing incident which Lewis was mostly at fault. In this case, Max just just braked for no reason and brake tested Lewis and just dashed off. I guess you can't prove intention but come on. Who does that?

Ant brought up a good point yesterday and that was the DRS line. It's possible Max wanted Lewis to pass him right before the DRS line so that Max would have DRS to re-overtake him... hence why he applied the brakes so heavily. Just a guess, of course.

And to my knowledge (I could be completely wrong here), the crime is 'causing a collision'... so whether it was brake testing or driving someone off the road or missing your braking point and crashing into someone... the penalty for 'causing a collision' is a 10s penalty. I don't think they can give different penalties for based on how the collision happened. If that makes sense.

Perhaps what they can do in the future to prevent ppl from taking advantage of letting someone overtake while gaining a DRS advantage is to have it done at designated zones.

As for Max accelerating again, I think he accelerated when Lewis ran into him?

Yeah, if anything, I have a bigger issue with him creeping left, which I didn't notice at the time. Not good.

Back
Top Bottom