Fact of Fiction: ATL is an Urban Cinema Classic.

Guess I'm in the minority when it comes to Dope. Thought it was really good. Not really a "hood" movie though.

In Too Deep is up there for me. Definitely flawed, but one of my favorites from pre-2000. Sentimental value I guess.

Same with Light it Up. LOVED that flick as a when I was younger.

Hell I think Save the Last Dance is underrated. That also falls into the teen urban genre for me though.

Flicks like New Jersey Drive, Juice, Fresh. Menace II Society, etc are a different urban genre. More raw.

I'll probably need to see it again. My knee jerk reaction is Dead Presidents is a classic but I'm in between when I give it more thought. Haven't seen it in a few years.

Speaking of what happened to that wave during the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s when they were making all of these urban flicks..

One of my personal favs

(JamieR)__SouthCentral(1).jpg

OG Bobby Johnson :pimp: :smokin
Ohh man another classic Bruh. It's so many dog.

Guess I'm in the minority when it comes to Dope. Thought it was really good. Not really a "hood" movie though.

In Too Deep is up there for me. Definitely flawed, but one of my favorites from pre-2000. Sentimental value I guess.

Same with Light it Up. LOVED that flick as a when I was younger.

Hell I think Save the Last Dance is underrated. That also falls into the teen urban genre for me though.

Flicks like New Jersey Drive, Juice, Fresh. Menace II Society, etc are a different urban genre. More raw.

All those clasics listed.......... then my ***** talkin bout Save The Last Dance?

Boy if you don't.......

All those clasics listed.......... then my ***** talkin bout Save The Last Dance?

Boy if you don't.......
I got tugged in the theater during Save the Last Dance, so maybe I'm a little biased.

But I'm not taking it back. I actually like the movie
laugh.gif

Dope was weird to me, cosign with the dude that said it seemed forced. Things went awry when he encountered the blow, it just seemed so unrealistic. Despite the title, it seemed that the tone of the movie should not have taken such a dark twist. Interesting twist at the end though.

I thought Dope was cool, even though them forcing ***** 600 times like the whole 400 Degreez album was a bit much

Boyz n the hood
menace 2 society
Set it off
Dead presidents
Paid in full
Players Club
New Jack city
Juice
Shottas

Hood Classics best picture winners -Action/Drama

The best man
Soul Food
The Wood
love and bastkeball
barbershop
Love jones
Two can play that game
Boomerang
Waiting to exhale
How Stella got her groove back

Hood Classic best picture winners -romance/family drama

Friday
Coming to America
Harlem nights
House party
The wash
Next Friday
Delirious
Kings of Comedy
Pimp chronicles

Hood classic best picture winners - comedy

Boyz n the hood
menace 2 society
Set it off
Dead presidents
Paid in full
Players Club
New Jack city
Juice
Shottas

The best man
Soul Food
The Wood
love and bastkeball
barbershop
Love jones
Two can play that game
Boomerang
Waiting to exhale

Friday
Coming to America
Harlem nights
House party
The wash
Next Friday
Delirious
Kings of Comedy
Pimp chronicles

I agree with this list. I know these might not be "hood classics", but I know a lot of guys in the hood who love Training Day and He Got Game 

Boyz n the hood

menace 2 society

Set it off

Dead presidents

Paid in full

Players Club

New Jack city

Juice

Shottas

The best man

Soul Food

The Wood

love and bastkeball

barbershop

Love jones

Two can play that game

Boomerang

Waiting to exhale

Friday

Coming to America

Harlem nights

House party

The wash

Next Friday

Delirious

Kings of Comedy

Pimp chronicles

I agree with this list. I know these might not be "hood classics", but I know a lot of guys in the hood who love Training Day and He Got Game 

spike Lee's he got game is in da genre... training day tight ropes da line.

Honorable mentions

Im bout it (vhs)
Fresh (very underrated and overlooked )
Strapped

Last edited:
"Where ya been boi boi I aint seen ya in a while" in big boi's voice made this movie.

And Juice and Menace 2 Society are the goat hold movies. You can't top O-Dog or Bishop.

New Jersey Drive gets honorable mention because damn that **** was just too real, that dude with the webbie fro really tried to smoke my dude in the projects but bad aim. Straight outta Brooklyn might be the saddest hood movie, dude really got his pops murked because he wanted to rob a drug dealer.

Last edited:
Man yall calling stuff classics just because they are old. Lol

Bruh said phat beach is a classic LOL

now 3 strikes is a underground classic

And nobody mentioned the wood which is an overall classic

Last edited:
I always forget how many I've actually seen until threads like this are made :lol:

Jersey drive is amazing. That whole era up until like the early '00s was great

Back
Top Bottom