Filipino Culture Thread

For the American-born in here, how well do you speak/understand Tagalog? I was born and raised in Jersey but I understand almost fluently but admittedly my speaking is poor.
I understand Tagalog fluently but can't speak a lick lol.

Thankful that my lola spoke to me in Tagalog whether I did something good or bad lol. (RIP lola)

My parents spoke English to me so now when my Dad speaks tagalog to me I get weirded out lol.

Looks like my wife's aunt from the PI is going to try and get me a Nike Gilas Pilipinas shirt. I normally where an XL and I assume an XL is size Amel. So I figured I go with 2XL to play it safe?

I hope she doesn't get me knock off :smh:

Looks like my wife's aunt from the PI is going to try and get me a Nike Gilas Pilipinas shirt. I normally where an XL and I assume an XL is size Amel. So I figured I go with 2XL to play it safe?

I can check the sizing on my shirt when I get home later

Our fam moved to the US when I was 3. I can sorta understand but I'll sound like a 3 yr old trynna speak any dialect. I wish I was fluent. I asked my parents to speak Tagalog to my 1yr old son so he can be multilingual
If by some sheer miracle I find someone and have kids... I'll probably do the same thing and have my parents or my wife (if she's filipino) speak tagalog to my kids

Def. 2X is the way to go..............XL in any Asian country (Philippines isn't the only SE Asian country where XL feels tight as hell) is literally "men's petite L."

There is a reason why older Asian generations like to push "weigh issues" on the younger generation, and this contributes to it.

Last time I visited, my uncle and cousin were asking me what my waist size was. I thought that was weird. Probably thinking Americans need bigger clothes.

Last time I visited, my uncle and cousin were asking me what my waist size was. I thought that was weird. Probably thinking Americans need bigger clothes.
Crazy. This reminded me how my aunt's and uncle's asked me this growing up.

Probably trying to size you up and grab your old clothes :lol:

It’s weird now that I think of it, we all got the beer belly Titos they must be rocking the XXXXL shirts (if they’re wearing shirts :lol: )

For the American-born in here, how well do you speak/understand Tagalog? I was born and raised in Jersey but I understand almost fluently but admittedly my speaking is poor.
I can understand almost everything but once they throw slang in then I’m lost. I can speak enough to get by if I had to but there’s some words I know but when I need to say it I blank out :smh: :lol: .

You guys know what this is about? :lol:
AE79AC25-AA38-4CFC-8DFE-0274926DAB84.png

Sitting in the back of the car growing up in the US while my parents spoke, especially heading to and from Filipino parties, was how I learned how to translate/understand Ilocano. Unfortunately, my parents never made it an issue/priority to speak, so I can't communicate back in Tagalog nor Ilocano. They moved here when they were 20 in the 80s.

Although when I was recently in Manila with my cousins, they would go interweave Tagalog, Ilocano, and English. After a month, it became easier to understand both dialects and had I stayed a bit longer I felt I could have started to be fluent.

Gotta check that market on 30th in Astoria. Wish there was some Filipino talent at Riviera's... Place was wilidin' after the Colombian game lol.

You guys know what this is about? :lol:
AE79AC25-AA38-4CFC-8DFE-0274926DAB84.png

I got 2 titos who live in US and ever since grade school to high school they asked me to do that whenever they come back to states, is it just me or every guy that got their shoe size like that never actually receive sneakers lol

I got 2 titos who live in US and ever since grade school to high school they asked me to do that whenever they come back to states, is it just me or every guy that got their shoe size like that never actually receive sneakers lol
LOL sucks they leave you hanging like that.

my friends told me a filipino joke last night

essentially you ask someone use "chicken nut bread" in a sentence.

then you reply: my sister has asthma so sometimes "chicken nut bread"*with OD filipino accent"
it's better in person but had to share

Heard this a bunch of times as a kid from the titos

my friends told me a filipino joke last night

essentially you ask someone use "chicken nut bread" in a sentence.

then you reply: my sister has asthma so sometimes "chicken nut bread"*with OD filipino accent"
it's better in person but had to share

Legit lol'd.. never heard that one before.

I got one.. most of yall prob already know this one

What did the gargoyle say to the other gargoyle?

Is statue?

Back
Top Bottom