First Look: Air Jordan 2K9 / 2009 (real pix)

what the hell...

I need some more pics, different angles, and different colorways in that shoe to make some final judgment.

Ehhh come to think of it, they aint THAT bad you know.. but for me? im done with JB for 2008 & movin on to Skateboarding shoes & nike classics. Thelast pack ima cop is the 11/12 pack & thats the end of the road for JB.

Sorry, Iversons are made by Reebok and must be posted in the Other Brands foru- wait.... that's the new AirJordan?

There's never been a better time to quit collecting.

Of this unholy Fantaposite / Reebok Spectacle / Jordan XIV amalgam, I will say this:

The upper will be revised. That's not even open to conjecture. The outsole, however, is historically less likely to change.

Longtime NT users, and there are fewer of you left after these pictures than there were before, I'm sure, will no doubt recall our first glimpse at the AJXVII in 2000:

89f1516badb2fb2b4bc1da3994fee732952e76e.jpg

I've no doubt the product will improve and we've certainly seen worse in recent years. (The XIX and XXI spring to mind.)

Personally, I'm curious to find out how this rates as a sustainability product compared to the Jordan XX3. The brand has a nasty habit of introducing oneill conceived gimmick after another in Air Jordans that, for obvious reasons, never stick.
In the glory years, the product followed a steady progression. The best performance aspects of preceding models were carried forward. You can see how the IVevolved into the V, VI, VII, and VIII, how the XI grew out of the IX and X, paving the way for the internal lacing system of the XIII. The carbon fiber shankplate and zoom air of the XI became mainstays. (until the XV, of course, though that was the antithesis of a performance product.) Lately, what failures havethey attempted to pawn off as the next big thing? Carbon comfort insole? One and done. "Tech flex?" The only place you can find it now is thechinese fingertraps at the dollar store. "IPS?" With the XXIII, they waved the white flag on that one. Somehow, I don't see this"revolutionary" heel design remaining a part of the line beyond 2009 - assuming, of course, there is aflagship beyond 2009.

You get the sense that an actual engineer designed the prosthetic leg being mimicked here. Why they thought they could simply slap that on to the heel andhave it work the same way is simply beyond me. That's like affixing a pair of wings to the family truckster with a hot glue gun and assuming thatyou've invented a flying car. The prosthetic leg was well engineered for its intended purpose. Slapping a curved scrap of rubber on the heel of a shoeand gluing it to some polyurethane as a cheap analogue probably won't achieve quite the same effect for basketball players. I'd love to be provedwrong. To me, it just looks like a repackaged shox column that, like the prosthesis it emulates, was clearly not designed with lateral stability in mind.

Originally Posted by ao17

smh.gif
Why are these even retailing for $190? Nobody's gonna pay good money for this crap.

False. Doesn't matter if they look good, JB is gonna still sell plenty because of their name. Its too early to tell, but those do look pretty bad. At leastthey stopped the numbered line at 23.

I'm actually hoping this would be the final production sample or pretty close to it so I can take it easy on my wallet. I'm salivating at theopportunity to actually be fiscally responsible and keep my eyes on worthwhile retros such as the Penny 3 (or any of the rumored Jordan retros). Thanks, JB!

Recent years, every new model that's released is letting people know how they screwed last year's.

Don't they have people providing feedback before they decide to release something?

They fix one thing and screw something else in the process.

All in all, these gimmicks they're trying to sell don't fly.

Back
Top Bottom