Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure....Good or Bad?

Originally Posted by HankMoody

There was already a huge thread about this I think. Give me a second to find it...

found it:

16 pages: http://niketalk.yuku.com/...ecipeints-Thought?page=1
Thats about Kentucky, I had no idea there was another state doing this as well 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by GhengesK

I don't think starving the crackheads and meth addicts is a wise thing to do.

This...lol, I give until august for me to find my car on bricks in the morning and my house broken into, the when its christmas time its gonna be super crazy in hialeah!
happy.gif
Addicts be trippin out om holiday season, ppl down here already murduring eachother in the middle of south beach, now heres something for them to be even more angry about.

Originally Posted by GhengesK

I don't think starving the crackheads and meth addicts is a wise thing to do.

This...lol, I give until august for me to find my car on bricks in the morning and my house broken into, the when its christmas time its gonna be super crazy in hialeah!
happy.gif
Addicts be trippin out om holiday season, ppl down here already murduring eachother in the middle of south beach, now heres something for them to be even more angry about.

You guys do realize the perverse incentive created by such a law? It should be called the "trade in marijuana for crack, meth and heroin act." THC stays in a person's system for weeks while cocaine and opiates and methamphetamine will usually be out of an addict's system within days. This encourages someone who might have only smoked marijuana to take up stronger, more dagerous and more addictive drugs.

Will the CEO's of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, GM, AIG and Goldman Sachs and every other bailed out firm be willing to piss in a cup on demand. They are all welfare recipients after all.

Will tobacco, caffeine and alcohol be on that list of banned substances?

The definition of "recipient of government benefits" is very elastic. I understand the underlying logic of drug testing people who receive tax payer to beneficiary payments. However, as Senator Orrin Hatch proposed, everyone who gets  Unemployment benefits should be drugs tested. In theory at least, those benefits are a form of insurance and not welfare payments as is social security and medicare and workers' compensation. Should we test anyone in those programs. What about anyone whose mortgage was bundled and sold to a GSE? What about any who every drives on government funded roads.

Finally, I hope that you younger people here take a lesson from this. Big government means less privacy for you. The more benefits that you get from the public treasury, the more they attach strings to those benefits and one day a "free" man might be treated about the same as an inmate in a penitentiary today.

You guys do realize the perverse incentive created by such a law? It should be called the "trade in marijuana for crack, meth and heroin act." THC stays in a person's system for weeks while cocaine and opiates and methamphetamine will usually be out of an addict's system within days. This encourages someone who might have only smoked marijuana to take up stronger, more dagerous and more addictive drugs.

Will the CEO's of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, GM, AIG and Goldman Sachs and every other bailed out firm be willing to piss in a cup on demand. They are all welfare recipients after all.

Will tobacco, caffeine and alcohol be on that list of banned substances?

The definition of "recipient of government benefits" is very elastic. I understand the underlying logic of drug testing people who receive tax payer to beneficiary payments. However, as Senator Orrin Hatch proposed, everyone who gets  Unemployment benefits should be drugs tested. In theory at least, those benefits are a form of insurance and not welfare payments as is social security and medicare and workers' compensation. Should we test anyone in those programs. What about anyone whose mortgage was bundled and sold to a GSE? What about any who every drives on government funded roads.

Finally, I hope that you younger people here take a lesson from this. Big government means less privacy for you. The more benefits that you get from the public treasury, the more they attach strings to those benefits and one day a "free" man might be treated about the same as an inmate in a penitentiary today.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Will tobacco, caffeine and alcohol be on that list of banned substances? (does anyone else find it ironic that the OP and the person who is so gung ho about this law counts "beer" among his trinity of good things in life. Beer is, despite all of the history, mystique and marketing surrounding it, a mind altering substance).

I don't drink nor do I view beer like that, but thanks.....You know what they say about how you shouldn't ASSUme, right? 
indifferent.gif

Will tobacco, caffeine and alcohol be on that list of banned substances? (does anyone else find it ironic that the OP and the person who is so gung ho about this law counts "beer" among his trinity of good things in life. Beer is, despite all of the history, mystique and marketing surrounding it, a mind altering substance).

I don't drink nor do I view beer like that, but thanks.....You know what they say about how you shouldn't ASSUme, right? 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by SGpinoy

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

....so when that crackhead gets kicked off welfare, whos' going to feed those kids the crackhead had? think it over, ill wait.
nerd.gif

Im assuming child services would step in and take the child, right?

Originally Posted by Cant Nobody Stop Me

....so when that crackhead gets kicked off welfare, whos' going to feed those kids the crackhead had? think it over, ill wait.
nerd.gif

Wouldnt they deem you unfit to raise your children and take them away?

........maybe, maybe not. that system is hella flawed as it is currently.

.....my only point is that solutions like these only solve problems on the surface. (c'mon man yall are smarter than this). id much rather the resources going towards this be used to fund a more efficient program that makes sure the funds are used properly or more effectively.

eNPHAN had a great idea in welfare being set up more like WIC, instead of damn near a blank check to buy what you choose. <- that idea kills 2 birds with one stone. the kids still get to eat because the crackhead wont be able to sell a pound of flour, a dozen eggs, and boxes of cereal as easy as they can just loan their link card out for a rock.

this? this bs +$@ law? thats just some *@!$ to appease people who cant see the forest through the trees

Originally Posted by SGpinoy

nerd.gif

Im assuming child services would step in and take the child, right?

Originally Posted by Cant Nobody Stop Me

nerd.gif

Wouldnt they deem you unfit to raise your children and take them away?

........maybe, maybe not. that system is hella flawed as it is currently.

.....my only point is that solutions like these only solve problems on the surface. (c'mon man yall are smarter than this). id much rather the resources going towards this be used to fund a more efficient program that makes sure the funds are used properly or more effectively.

eNPHAN had a great idea in welfare being set up more like WIC, instead of damn near a blank check to buy what you choose. <- that idea kills 2 birds with one stone. the kids still get to eat because the crackhead wont be able to sell a pound of flour, a dozen eggs, and boxes of cereal as easy as they can just loan their link card out for a rock.

this? this bs +$@ law? thats just some *@!$ to appease people who cant see the forest through the trees

Not as good as the mandatory birth control for women on welfare that I'd like to see.

Not as good as the mandatory birth control for women on welfare that I'd like to see.

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

indifferent.gif

This was from, another thread about Missouri doing the same thing and everything but that point is the same. I will edit this pro forma response because, it seems like this drug testing for benefits in various states is catching on all over the country.

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

indifferent.gif

This was from, another thread about Missouri doing the same thing and everything but that point is the same. I will edit this pro forma response because, it seems like this drug testing for benefits in various states is catching on all over the country.

Back
Top Bottom