Frustrated Recent College Grads - CHECK IN

Originally Posted by PoloLax

It's rough. Real rough.

No matter what people are saying about the economy rebounding, it's all lies.

To all of you saying get on your grind and it's not has hard as it seems or all my friends have jobs, etc. Please consider yourselves lucky and don't try and discourage others.

I have been grinding for a year now. Internships, volunteer opportunitites, networking up to my ears, resumes after resumes, working dead end jobs, etc. Everything you can possibly do. I've done and more. And to be honest I live in area that hasn't felt the recession as bad as other parts of the country, so I can only imagine.

I'm back in school but I feel this is a waste too. I just don't know what else to do.

Job opportunities lag behind the state of the economy. The economy may be rebounding, but the new jobs probably won't come around for a while.

A lot more sympathizing and encouragement in this thread than I expected. Good looks NT

I dont want to call it schadenfreude but knowing I'm not the only one struggling doesnt make it seem as bad. Although that doesn't change anything. We all will find something if we just keep looking. Again, once the new fiscal year starts in October companies will have new budgets to work with.

I've been finding a few promising jobs out of state so relocation is looking like a more viable option. Honestly, aint nothing or no one keeping me here. I love my parents but I dont need to be around them. A few good friends but no one I need to see that often. No special someone. Other than a sense of familiarity I wouldn't be missing much. Plus I got some friends in the general area I'm thinking about going so it wouldn't be that bad.

A lot more sympathizing and encouragement in this thread than I expected. Good looks NT

I dont want to call it schadenfreude but knowing I'm not the only one struggling doesnt make it seem as bad. Although that doesn't change anything. We all will find something if we just keep looking. Again, once the new fiscal year starts in October companies will have new budgets to work with.

I've been finding a few promising jobs out of state so relocation is looking like a more viable option. Honestly, aint nothing or no one keeping me here. I love my parents but I dont need to be around them. A few good friends but no one I need to see that often. No special someone. Other than a sense of familiarity I wouldn't be missing much. Plus I got some friends in the general area I'm thinking about going so it wouldn't be that bad.

Sad to say but our generation has so many people across the world in college and not enough with true job/ trade skills. All of us in the college boat for the most part are over qualified by the amount of money we have invested/spent on degrees rather than even a portion of that even going to things like a trade school, licenses and certificates to get straight into a field. Once we get a certain age and pass through school it's on to a another set of ideals to the incoming freshman while we hope our plan from 4-5 yrs ago is still afloat amongst turbulence in the working field.

Sad to say but our generation has so many people across the world in college and not enough with true job/ trade skills. All of us in the college boat for the most part are over qualified by the amount of money we have invested/spent on degrees rather than even a portion of that even going to things like a trade school, licenses and certificates to get straight into a field. Once we get a certain age and pass through school it's on to a another set of ideals to the incoming freshman while we hope our plan from 4-5 yrs ago is still afloat amongst turbulence in the working field.

just graduated this summer. i know some people who were on the job hunt during the school year and ended up with jobs pretty quickly. but who knws, one of my homies found a job real quick, while some people have been searchin for days. Ive been home for a month now, and might have a prospect for a job (actually gotta call in tomorrow) but we'll see haha.
the part of your parents rollin home and asking you what you did all day is the worst. "ummmm...look for jobs?" realistically, basically nothing haha. shooot. but i gotta make some chedd soon! living with the parents again is frustrating

ps
your degree, whatever its in will mean a lot because opens way more doors for you. If you stayed at your job and became a manager, I feel like you can only advance so far. limiting yourself, ya know?

dont worry man, stay on your grind, and youll eventually find something. gluck du

just graduated this summer. i know some people who were on the job hunt during the school year and ended up with jobs pretty quickly. but who knws, one of my homies found a job real quick, while some people have been searchin for days. Ive been home for a month now, and might have a prospect for a job (actually gotta call in tomorrow) but we'll see haha.
the part of your parents rollin home and asking you what you did all day is the worst. "ummmm...look for jobs?" realistically, basically nothing haha. shooot. but i gotta make some chedd soon! living with the parents again is frustrating

ps
your degree, whatever its in will mean a lot because opens way more doors for you. If you stayed at your job and became a manager, I feel like you can only advance so far. limiting yourself, ya know?

dont worry man, stay on your grind, and youll eventually find something. gluck du

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Ever consider relocating? My dude who got his Masters couldn't find a job in his city (Syracuse, NY) but he recently got hired by an advertising firm down in Florida. Another friend of mine moved to Baltimore from San Antonio after college for work. One of my best friends moved to San Francisco from Long Island with what little money he had after graduation and just got hired by a PR firm after interning at another PR firm during the summer.

People shouldn't be afraid to relocate if it'll benefit them. If there's an opportunity elsewhere, take it by the horns. More people need to consider it seeing how in certain markets the unemployment rate is through the roof.
I'm actually looking at a few jobs down south.  The cost of living down there is so much cheaper but I hear it often shows in the salary too.  But I know 30K in the south goes A LOT further than 30K in DC.  Definitely looking into it.

The real ironic thing is DC has one of, if not, the lowest unemployment rate in the country (if I'm not mistaken).  That just kinda adds insult to injury. 

With all those Government jobs I find it hard to believe anyone in the DMV area can't find a job.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Ever consider relocating? My dude who got his Masters couldn't find a job in his city (Syracuse, NY) but he recently got hired by an advertising firm down in Florida. Another friend of mine moved to Baltimore from San Antonio after college for work. One of my best friends moved to San Francisco from Long Island with what little money he had after graduation and just got hired by a PR firm after interning at another PR firm during the summer.

People shouldn't be afraid to relocate if it'll benefit them. If there's an opportunity elsewhere, take it by the horns. More people need to consider it seeing how in certain markets the unemployment rate is through the roof.
I'm actually looking at a few jobs down south.  The cost of living down there is so much cheaper but I hear it often shows in the salary too.  But I know 30K in the south goes A LOT further than 30K in DC.  Definitely looking into it.

The real ironic thing is DC has one of, if not, the lowest unemployment rate in the country (if I'm not mistaken).  That just kinda adds insult to injury. 

With all those Government jobs I find it hard to believe anyone in the DMV area can't find a job.

yo at s0lefunk, I just graduated from UMD with a BA in economics in may...the world is so small but just like you i was feeling down all summer and finally in august things went my way and i got a good job for what its worth in this economic climate. after all the HR stuff I finally started today, but I def. feel your pain man. graduating from one of the top public schools in the nation, I never thought it would take this long to get a job, but patience is really all you can preach man. A lot of my peers kept telling me that and eventually things went my way, your break will come man.

yo at s0lefunk, I just graduated from UMD with a BA in economics in may...the world is so small but just like you i was feeling down all summer and finally in august things went my way and i got a good job for what its worth in this economic climate. after all the HR stuff I finally started today, but I def. feel your pain man. graduating from one of the top public schools in the nation, I never thought it would take this long to get a job, but patience is really all you can preach man. A lot of my peers kept telling me that and eventually things went my way, your break will come man.

double post...yuku sucks...but yeah I think things should def. start to pick up in October with companies starting the new fiscal year. Especially if you're trying to go the government route...

double post...yuku sucks...but yeah I think things should def. start to pick up in October with companies starting the new fiscal year. Especially if you're trying to go the government route...

In the same boat as everyone else..graduated in June from UW, trying to get in PR/marketing/sales. Job hunt is tough out here! :/

In the same boat as everyone else..graduated in June from UW, trying to get in PR/marketing/sales. Job hunt is tough out here! :/

i recently moved back home after finishing up my minor over the summer. i have barely started grinding on the job search and it's already depressing. and like someone said, the worst thing is when your parents ask how your day went. literally, i wake up, eat lunch, and look for jobs for a couple of hours and by the time i am done, it's only 4 or 5 pm. i've sent so many resumes and cover letters and i haven't gotten a call back. granted, most of these jobs ask you not to call in for an update on your status. but, i guess we have to keep on it. once the new fiscal year starts, hopefully things will brighten up for us. just stay on the grind!

to make things better, let's post our majors/minors and what we're trying to get into so we can help each other out on the job search. i'll start:

major: social sciences w/ specialization in research & policy
minor: management

i'm currently looking at jobs in the HR field, primarily as an HR assistant.

i recently moved back home after finishing up my minor over the summer. i have barely started grinding on the job search and it's already depressing. and like someone said, the worst thing is when your parents ask how your day went. literally, i wake up, eat lunch, and look for jobs for a couple of hours and by the time i am done, it's only 4 or 5 pm. i've sent so many resumes and cover letters and i haven't gotten a call back. granted, most of these jobs ask you not to call in for an update on your status. but, i guess we have to keep on it. once the new fiscal year starts, hopefully things will brighten up for us. just stay on the grind!

to make things better, let's post our majors/minors and what we're trying to get into so we can help each other out on the job search. i'll start:

major: social sciences w/ specialization in research & policy
minor: management

i'm currently looking at jobs in the HR field, primarily as an HR assistant.

I feel u OP, Im in the same boat. I just graduated in August and i already be feeling like a bum chillin at home sometimes while my friends that didnt go to school are working their full time jobs
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
........only good thing is i got a lil money saved up n i got free time to workout and catch up with chicks im trying to smash....

I feel u OP, Im in the same boat. I just graduated in August and i already be feeling like a bum chillin at home sometimes while my friends that didnt go to school are working their full time jobs
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
........only good thing is i got a lil money saved up n i got free time to workout and catch up with chicks im trying to smash....

Look at alternative %$%# with benefits. Any of the Americorps joints... anything. I'm going to do Teach For America, but I'm applying with their partner companies now to take advantage of the 2 year deferral. Think outside the box, consider things that aren't necessarily in line with your degree. Even if it's temporary, there are still things out there.

Look at alternative %$%# with benefits. Any of the Americorps joints... anything. I'm going to do Teach For America, but I'm applying with their partner companies now to take advantage of the 2 year deferral. Think outside the box, consider things that aren't necessarily in line with your degree. Even if it's temporary, there are still things out there.

Originally Posted by FranSanity217

Another Terp on the board is always
pimp.gif
.  Is your s/n based on your real name cause I think I might know you.  Actually, check your inbox. I got some questions that you'd be perfect to ask.

Finding them isn't the problem.  Getting that interview is.  Then the job... 

The golden rule of thumb for these Gov't jobs is to assume your resume is one of a hundred on any given posting.  Usually, the ones who graduated with honors find more lucrative opportunities in the private sector so instead of being outclassed, you are competing with a hundred others with similar credentials as you.  Then you got the overqualified layoffs who will take severe pay cuts because they need money.  With a lot of places placing greater emphasis on experience along with academic achievement, the market seems to favor these candidates over recent grads with little/no job specific experience.  Basically, these employers are making sure to get the best bang for their buck.  I almost want to call it exploitation...

Originally Posted by FranSanity217

Another Terp on the board is always
pimp.gif
.  Is your s/n based on your real name cause I think I might know you.  Actually, check your inbox. I got some questions that you'd be perfect to ask.

Finding them isn't the problem.  Getting that interview is.  Then the job... 

The golden rule of thumb for these Gov't jobs is to assume your resume is one of a hundred on any given posting.  Usually, the ones who graduated with honors find more lucrative opportunities in the private sector so instead of being outclassed, you are competing with a hundred others with similar credentials as you.  Then you got the overqualified layoffs who will take severe pay cuts because they need money.  With a lot of places placing greater emphasis on experience along with academic achievement, the market seems to favor these candidates over recent grads with little/no job specific experience.  Basically, these employers are making sure to get the best bang for their buck.  I almost want to call it exploitation...

Back
Top Bottom