GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD- Recap

Not the #1 class at all.
Haven't seen the other kids, but I know Braswell is a bum.
looking to trade ds white/navy lebron 4's
for something decent. holla.

Clark has really shot up the rankins, some say he's the top perimiter defender in the class...

Sims will be everything we ever wanted Lee Scruggs to become

As far as Braswell, I don't know about a bum?? I realize he's had problems academically recently and his play hasn't lived up to the hype.
HOYAS
"I told you last year that if I die and I can't go to heaven, then they can take my body back to Georgetown. Well, I'm here to tell you that I ain't dead yet."

good stuff about monroe...hope he's really the player everyone says hes supposed to be

Team Pizziaolo
- RED SOX FOR LIFE -​

Jeff making some good impressions

"Jeff Green may have been the steal of the draft. He is crazy athletic and super smooth. He cant really shoot at all right now, but if he ever learns he is going to be unreal. I just really liked the way he carried himself. "

"I have some videos and pictures from the night, and I couldnt believe how good Jeff Green was. Hes a beast."

"- J Green is way more athletic than I expected."

"- Jeff Green was extremely impressive. It won't be long before he is *the* leader on this team. He was very vocal, especially defensively, and he played hard. He fits in very well with the fast-break offense - he sorta reminds me of a rich man's Antoine Walker or Billy Owens, or even Derrick McKey. One particular play he was behind Wilcox by a couple of steps and ended up beating him down the floor for an easy finish. He sorta reminds me of the kid in the neighborhood growing up who might not have been the biggest kid but his team always won. Green has that confident, competitive demeanor."

who do you guys want taking that 5th starting spot

Freeman, Ewing....Macklin?
HOYAS
"I told you last year that if I die and I can't go to heaven, then they can take my body back to Georgetown. Well, I'm here to tell you that I ain't dead yet."

@#%$ Monroe....His punk @#%$ should be in Durham right now......@#%$ Monroe, @#%$ JT3, @#%$'em all......

:rofl:
roll.gif
j/k Good pickup fellas

:tongue:
tongue.gif
TEAMYANKEES
TEAM SEMINOLES
antone smith , greg carr , preston parker ,andre fluellen ,tony carter,letroy guion , everette brown , paul griffin , geno hayes , myron rolle , marcus ball​

:lol:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
HOYAS

i think ewing will probably start off as the fifth, but as the season progresses, macklin might take it from him. he has a huge upside, but didn't show much last year. he's put on some muscle which should help him out in the paint. ewing is a force off the bench.

i'm not sure how the guard rotation is gonna work though. sapp and wallace will start, but how much pt will rivers, freeman, crawford, and wright get?

I know we have a lot..

the first one is Alabama on ESPN...and Michigan is probably on Full Court
HOYAS

Boss sent me this article...thought i'd share.

Quote:
Georgetown appeals to Monroe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's not to like about Georgetown right now?

The Hoyas are coming off a Final Four appearance.

A potential lottery pick in Roy Hibbert chose to stay in school because he likes it.

The Big East Player of the Year Jeff Green was the No. 5 pick in the draft and was praised for his unselfish play while playing for the Hoyas.

John Thompson III just received a long-term contract, proving that the Hoyas aren't as cheap as their reputation in coaching circles.

Nike's name attached to the Hoyas is still a strong tie that
players can relate to, especially in the summer scene.

John Thompson's Hall of Fam at practice and at games.

Georgetown big men alumni like Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo are still loyal.

So, should it be a surprise that the top big man in the class of 2008, Greg Monroe out of Louisiana, decided to commit to the Hoyas?

It's cool to be a Hoya again. Monroe, whose passing ability was as much a draw for the Georgetown coaches as anything else, should flourish as Hibbert's replacement next season.

The Big East doesn't need the New York-area schools to stay atop in the country. But the Big East did need a renaissance in the District. Georgetown is a national name. St. John's, Seton Hall and Rutgers are not. The Hoyas who are now shaping up to be a league title rival with Louisville for years to come. (Memo to Syracuse, Pitt, Connecticut, Marquette and Villanova: The chase to stay with Louisville and G'town is on.)

"We're fortunate that we're at a place, a terrific school, that people want to be," JT3 said. "Throw in the history of this program and that's been pretty good too."

The Hoyas' recruiting pool continues to widen and don't be surprised to see Georgetown knock on doors just about anywhere in the country.

"Getting to the Final Four should put to rest a lot of the [negative] recruiting about the style of play," JT3 said of the knock some opponents would try to play on the elements of the Princeton style that clearly hasn't inhibited Thompson's success. He always said better athletes, who could pass, catch, dribble and shoot would flourish in the style.

"Style of play is not an issue," JT3 said. "You see the way we play puts us in a position to win in a very good conference. The way we play helps to prepare our players for the next level. Look at someone like Jeff."

Green was praised for his versatility when he left Georgetown after three years there.

As for replacing Green, JT3 isn't looking at one player and dismisses the notion that Vernon Macklin, DaJuan Summers or Patrick Ewing Jr. will suddenly be able to do everything Green did.

So far in practice, the Hoyas are evolving with more of an emphasis on Hibbert's post production, Thompson said. The rest of the moving parts, notably the aforementioned wing/forwards, will find their way. The loss early in the season on the perimeter with Chris Wright's broken foot shouldn't be too much of an issue. The Hoyas are deepest on the perimeter with Jonathan Wallace (clearly the most underrated lead guard in the country), Jessie Sapp, Jeremiah Rivers and Tyler Crawford.

JT3 said Wright picked up the system quite quickly before he got hurt (and he's got a month more of likely sitting out) so his catch-up time won't be "dramatic."

Team Pizziaolo
- RED SOX FOR LIFE -

Tribe is done :frown:
frown.gif
so the countdown for Gtown hoops is on

found this bad boy in the closet yesterday

musta been about 11 or 12...circa 97 i think :pimp:
pimp.gif
284620394.jpg
HOYAS

damn, thats one crazy polo (its a polo right?)

Team Pizziaolo
- RED SOX FOR LIFE -​

Yah, shooting shirt

I'd kill to get one of the 96's ones with the Number and names on the back in that style
HOYAS

damn that thing is wild...back in the 90's tho so yeah i guess i could see it.

Team Pizziaolo
- RED SOX FOR LIFE -​

some open practice observations I found..

Roy looked great. Best shape of his life. Fluid on the floor. Hook shots were nothing but net.

Macklin worries me. Outside shot is just not there. Not sure he and Roy should play together.

Patrick was fantastic but it looked to me like one of his knees was bothering him a little.

Freeman looks solid -- shooting and physically. He is going to be a tough guy to cover on D.

Tyler's shot was falling and he was super confident. If he stays healthy he will get court time.

Rivers looked most improved to me physcially. Couldn't tell if his shot was much better.

Nikita was most lost of all the freshman in drills but seems to have a nice stroke.

Wallace was Wallace. Solid all the way. Good to see Chris Wright is healing quickly.

Sapp was actually much more consistent with his 3 today than I have seen him in the past. He's bulked up a little and is still his scrappy self. There's not much to say about him - he's still the guard that outplayed UNC and helped us make it to the Final 4.

Summers as I said looks like he's emerging as a leader. He looked solid and I can't wait to see him in the team. He was practicing in the squad with Hibbert, while PEJr and Macklin were the big men in the other squad.

HOYAS

na I wasn't there

got that off Hoyatalk

Quote:
sucks to say but JT3 hurt macklin imo
8)
glasses.gif
HOYAS

I'm not worried about Vernon not having an outside shot...he's 6'9. Stick your @#%$ in the post. If we need a big man to come in and shoot outside shots Pat can do that. Vernon needs to get himself established down on the block and get buckets and rebound.
The Black Zack Morris​

I agree I'm actually not worried about his offense at all

It wasn't pretty last year, but he cleaned up some plays last year and as long as the baby hook improved a little. That'll be enough.

He HAS to become a better defender, I mean his defense was just pathetic
HOYAS

^ word. i watched vern in the kenner league this summer. didn't really impress me. he might have had about a block a game or so. he was getting a lot of points just off of putbacks and this one post move where he'd post up on one side and spin quick and slash toward the hoop. he's bulked up a lot, but he's still real skinny (when he came in as a freshman, they had him listed as 6'10, 190 lbs, :lol:
laugh.gif
). i don't know if he can hang in the post too much.

Quote:
this one post move where he'd post up on one side and spin quick and slash toward the hoop.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
HOYAS

Back
Top Bottom