GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD- Recap

big east is a lock this year,,,nice to see us get some respect...lets not drop down like we have in the past and stay among the top teams
<br>email me: okay.w0w@gmail.com<br>or aim: y0fallback

yeah last year was ridiculous...8 to unranked, something like that, right? lets stay in the top 5 this time around

Team Pizziaolo
- RED SOX FOR LIFE -​

they put up the rankings on espn today. we're at #5 right now (unc, ucla, memphis, kansas are ahead of us)

haha, yeah i figured that much, i just wanted to put up the rankings for those that didn't see it yet.

I won't worry if we struggle early on

the rotation and success with the offense will take some time

oh yeah,,,

we scrimmage Va Tech this comin week

it's a closed scrimmage/practice tho
HOYAS
"I told you last year that if I die and I can't go to heaven, then they can take my body back to Georgetown. Well, I'm here to tell you that I ain't dead yet."

Mods,

let this live :\
ohwell.gif

I mean it is the best thread created..look at the first post

:nerd:
nerd.gif

:lol:
laugh.gif

:frown:
frown.gif

:nerd:
nerd.gif
HOYAS
"I told you last year that if I die and I can't go to heaven, then they can take my body back to Georgetown. Well, I'm here to tell you that I ain't dead yet."

and the thread lives :pimp:
pimp.gif
HOYAS

supposedly we took 3/4 quarters from Va Tech

and Austin, Dajuan and Roy were the standouts
HOYAS

Jay Bilas:

Ball friendly Hoyas: I had a chance to watch Georgetown practice last Friday and overall, the Hoyas are without a doubt the most "ball friendly" team I have seen over the past two seasons. Every Hoya is comfortable with the ball in his hands and participates fluidly in every skill development drill. The Hoyas do a good deal of individual skill work in practice that is tailored to John Thompson III's offensive system, and the benefit is evident. The one player that surprised me the most in that regard is sophomore forward Vernon Macklin, who has made marked improvement in his ball skills. (Don't go too far with that Macklin is not ready to take over at the point, by any means! But his improvement since high school is impressive.)

Georgetown's offense is really fun to watch. The Princeton principles and options, matched with superior and skilled athletes, is just the way Pete Carril envisioned it. Carril wrote a book called "The Smart Take from the Strong". Well, JT III's Hoyas are smart AND strong. Cuts are hard and sharp, and when the offense gets the defense to chase, something good usually follows. I especially like to watch the wing action, where a wing cutter can snap back in the post while the corner man fills behind. That is really hard to guard.

Don't look for any lopsided scores from Georgetown in these goofy exhibition games. JT III doesn't like to play them. Instead, Thompson decided to play closed-door scrimmages against George Mason and Virginia Tech. That allows the coach to worry less about winning the game and more on combinations, defenses and experimentation. The coaches can stop the scrimmage to make a teaching point, and they can also ask the other coach to give them periods of zone or full-court pressure to get some work against it.

HOYAS

No early let downs this year, please.

Team Pizziaolo
- RED SOX FOR LIFE -​

Prior to coming to this country," Coach Thompson said, "Nikita briefly participated with a professional team in Europe. He was not compensated but the NCAA has ruled that he will have to sit out the first ten games of the season."

The 6-8, 205 lb forward from Minsk, Belarus will be able to practice with the team but cannot play before the Fordham game at the Verizon center on December 31.

dont think we'll be missing him tho :lol:
laugh.gif

seems like Hollis Thompson is ours too :pimp:
pimp.gif
HOYAS

allen3xis, any idea if he is related to Yegor Mescheriakov? He played ball at GW, same squad and class as Shawnta Rogers.

yeah brothers...I'll be back tomorrow, hopefully we play well

Game Notes
--William & Mary, the second oldest university in the nation (1693), has never appeared in an NCAA tournament and has received only one NIT berth (1983).
--With a considerable pre-sale of tickets, Georgetown is aiming for an attendance record for a home opener. The previous record for a home opener is 9,226 versus Morgan State on Nov. 30, 1982.(The 1993-94 opener with Maryland was considered a neutral site game.)
--Three of the first five U.S. presidents were students at W&M: Washington, Jefferson, and Monroe. (The University of Virginia was not founded until 1825.)
--Georgetown begins its 11th season at Verizon Center this year. By contrast, the Hoyas played at Capital Centre/US Air Arena for 16 seasons from 1981 through 1997.

Preview
Year four of the remarkable John Thompson III era opens Saturday, where the biggest opponent right now might be the high expectations of a Final Four team with four returning starters and arguably the nation's #1 center in Roy Hibbert. Expectations don't win games, however, and the Hoyas must return to the here and now and get to work. Unlike his predecessors, Thompson III has been more adept at matching up good non-conference tests for his team at the right time, and so it is with a William & Mary team that might surprise a few people this year...as long as it's not Georgetown.

The W&M basketball experience is more than a few miles from that in Washington. Last season's 15-15 record was only the fifth 15 win season in 102 years of Tribe basketball. With four returning starters, W&M is working towards its second post season bid ever and embarks on a challenging non-conference slate to do it. Both teams could be something to watch in a few months.

The Tribe's guard play should be solid. Guards Nathan Mann and David Schneider missed only five starts between them last season, accounting for nearly half the three pointers launched last season. Mann played only nine minutes in the W&M exhibition game this week and must do a good job of distributing the ball against Georgetown's defenses. As a whole, W&M's guards need to shoot better, as neither shot above 39 percent last season.

Small forward Alex Smith is expected to get the start Saturday. Smith started in only four games last season but shot a respectable 53 percent coming off the bench. Smith, who played in the Pan American Games this summer for Panama, led the Tribe with 15 points in its pre-season win, and will be a point of emphasis in the W&M game plan. Power forward Laimis Kisielius averaged 11.3 points last season and 40 percent from three point range, two statistics that W&M will need plenty of to stay in contention in this game. Inside, center Peter Stein figures to have his hands full with Roy Hibbert, and needs to stay on the court more than his 21.1 minute per game average in 2006-07. If Stein falters, expect 6-9 Chris Darnell or 6-10 Steven Hess to see time as well.

W&M faces some challenges in this game: the Tribe does not shoot well, has trouble rebounding, and may be a step slow for the Georgetown defensive sets. What they do bring to the table is an efficient team, a team that does not make many mistakes, and one with a promising bench that should see action in this game. Georgetown fans should watch for 6-7 Kyle Carrabine (3.5 ppg) and 6-9 newcomer Marcus Kitts.

Georgetown looks to bring its rotation into form in anticipation of its meeting next weekend with Michigan. Wallace and Sapp should continue their strong backcourt play, with fans eager to see what role senior Tyler Crawford and freshman Austin Freeman will play in these early games. On the front line, all eyes will be on Dajuan Summers as the next Jeff Green, but take a look as well at Vernon Macklin. The 6-9 sophomore could see extended minutes and should be able to use the non-conference slate to improve his game experience. If teams box-in on Hibbert and get him in foul trouble, Macklin will be called upon in a big way this season.

Keys to the game?
1. Outside Shooting. William & Mary hit on 60 percent of its threes in its pre-season game--look for an early volley from outside..
2. 20 and 10. Two good numbers to start Roy Hibbert's senior season.
3. Rebounds. No W&M player averaged more than four rebounds a game last season. Georgetown's size in the middle should give it a decided edge in the category.

It was 364 days ago when a 10 point win over Hartford set the wheels moving on a exciting centennial season for Hoya Hoops. No one knows what 2007-08 will bring, but the pieces are about in place for another memorable run. There will be stumbles and a few groans along the way, but if John Thompson III has preached anything these last 104 games, it is patience. Give the Hoyas some time to grow, and the sky's the limit. Let the game(s) begin!

HOYAS

anyone going to the game on thursday??? i'll be in the student section.

^yo allen, how can i get that hoyas sig??

lol I just went in and made it

some gray color whatever font that is and large sized. lol, i know nothin about sigs

Back
Top Bottom