Getting hops?

anyone know some tips? or something that helps build muscles in order to do so. mainly looking to get more hops for volleyball(spiking and blocking) andbasketball (dunking)

^^plyometrics (go search it up on google)...its a type of workout where you work on your explosion...its pretty ******ed and I hate doing it...

I would run hills if I were you in order to build your calf muscles...

and go lift weights...upper and lower

Plyometrics(sp?) Jumping exercises
Ex.
Like jump on to a box jump off as soon as u hit the ground jump as high as u can

Get a cone or something u can jump over and stand on one leg and jump over it back and forth side to side then after like 30 45 seconds switch legs

plyos are very good, they are key to helping you jump higher. Look up a bunch of plyo workouts and build a schedule and add actual weightlifting workouts aswell.

Plyos are quite stressful on the joints unless you warm up PROPERLY and warm DOWN.. also make sure you do them on a gym floor or carpeted surface etc..

You could also look at doing HIIT.. it might help a little in terms of building some strength in the legs.

But the main thing is technique, stretching, warming up and down.

Ive been mainly doing squats. Im 5'11 and cant eevn touch rim. or jump with 2 feet together and touch backbord. smh at me.

Ive been mainly doing squats. Im 5'11 and cant eevn touch rim. or jump with 2 feet together and touch backbord. smh at me.

Yea just squats aint going to work. You gotta do work out your glutes and like i said do plyos with your body weight, helps a lot. Once you get all thattogether and are commited to getting real hops and wanting to dunk then you could easily do it. You just have to be confident and stick to a program.

Make sure you stretch and work on your flexibility. Work your core. If you have those two components, it will just enhance all of the other work you do. Ialways start there.

JUMP , jump and jump The more the better and remember to build your hip strength by running up a stair twice a day

Originally Posted by realxfresh

wow. how much do you weigh? I assume your a little overweight. trim down a lil' then start working on explosion.

In high school I could barely graze the rim. I did stadium stairs one hour a day, full speed up, jogging down, for 6 days a week, two months during the summer.I came back my junior year and could throw down a volleyball but never dunked a regulation ball
tired.gif

But I became so quick off the dribble and was way more explosive. Hardwork pays off.

Originally Posted by realxfresh

damn need to lose weight or if your skinny , do legs workout: squats, deadlift, running on stairs, and do 100 jumps a day touching the bball net

i probably depends on the person, but i think flexibility is huge...stretch for like a total of an hour a day...no joke..i did this before my soph year ofcollege football and my speed, quickness, and durability improved ten fold...but outside of that..squats, squat jumps, overhead squats, box jumps, jump somerope, there are numerous of ways to improve, but for the most part you are either born with hops or not

What are the chances of a person being 5'9 with a 34-35' vertical that can grab the rim being able to dunk?

^ I know some 5'9 people who can dunk. I'm sure he has more than 35 inches vertical though

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

^ I know some 5'9 people who can dunk. I'm sure he has more than 35 inches vertical though

Do they happen to be African Americans?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Just be black...thats how i got hops.

Yea you damn black people are lucky while us white people have to work out everyday to try and dunk like you guys. I mean its possible for anyone to dunkas long as you are commited. I dont even know why i talk about this stuff, if i was commited i would be able to do 360 between the legs, i cant even dunkbecause im too lazy to get up and work out.

SMH at myself

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Do they happen to be African Americans?
laugh.gif

I know a white sub 5'9 dude who can dunk too, and this kid Alex who is some sort of Asian (do Phillipinos count as Asians?). People should get overthis whole black people are born better to jump thing. Dr. Squat is a 50ish yr old 5'5 white man and can still stand underneath the basket and go up with 2hands and dunk, does nothing but power lifting so he's using almost entirely slow twitch muscles. Force= mass x acceleration. He has tons of force, lessacceleration. Keon Clark applies a lesser amount of force, but more acceleration i.e can apply a greater percentage of his absolute strength in a shorteramount of time.

If I read correctly in The Vertical Jump Bible, dude explained there were research conducted on how generally Blacks actually are born with more fast twitchmuscles, longer achilles tendon and things of that nature. Hold up while I go search.

Let's take a look at what science has to say. There are 4 areas that I'd like to talk about
that may have a significant impact on athletic ability. These include:
1. Motor development
2. Body-fat
3. Body structure
4. Muscular characteristics
First lets examine motor development. Motor development basically has to do with
coordination and skill in movement as well as muscle recruitment. Being able to move
and coordinate your body in a variety of manners while executing complicated physical
tasks involve motor development. Remember the talk about the nervous system? Motor
skill and motor development are strongly correlated with efficiency of the nervous
system. It should make sense that those with superior motor development and skill might
also have superior muscle motor unit recruitment abilities. Remember the more muscles
you can recruit and the more muscles you can control, the more power you can develop
and the bigger advantage you have in a power or speed dominant movement.
If we analyze what science has to say about this, evidence suggests that blacks are more
advanced than white children in motor development during the first two years of life.
They have better muscular control and coordination. Several studies that have compared
black and white American infants suggest strong racial differences in motor development.
Fourth, fifth, and sixth grade black boys and girls run the 35-yard dash faster than their
white peers. Also, black adolescents in high school have a higher vertical jump than
white adolescents. This should come as no surprise. In a review by Robert Malina in The
Canadian Journal of Sport Sciences (1988), the author compiled several studies of motor
performance between black and white males between 1938 and 1976. Even over this
extended period of time, the results are remarkably consistent. That is, blacks did better
in tests of motor ability at all time points. Blacks performed better in the dash (sprint).
How much of a difference in motor performance can be attributed to environmental vs.
genetic causes? Probably not a whole lot. Just like different races of people have
different external physical characteristics, this data seems to indicate they also have
different internal physically related performance characteristics. The efficiency of the
nervous system is internal and would allow an athlete to have better coordination, skill,
and power in athletic movements.
The next factor we'll look at is body-fat. Another fact is that black athletes have, on
average, much less body-fat then whites. In one study that examined 74 black and 62
white males an average of 16.5 years old showed that black subjects performed
significantly better at the vertical jump and 40-yard dash than the white subjects. (4.8 vs.
5.0 seconds) Interestingly enough, in this study, when you account for body-fat
differences between the 2 groups and factor the added fat weight of the anglo group into
sprint performance there were no significant differences between the 2 groups in sprint
times. It should be obvious that the leaner you are, the less "dead weight" you have to
carry around and when you jump or run even a few pounds of fat can make a difference.
Now how about structure? The length of the upper and lower extremities between
blacks, whites, and Asians is obviously different to anyone with 20/20 vision. Asians
(East Asians: Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese) tend to be smaller with relatively short legs
and arms with long torsos. Blacks tend to have relatively long legs and arms with short
torsos and whites are somewhere in between.
As early as 1939, it has been reported that as a group, blacks tend to have longer arms
and legs (as a percentage of height), narrower hips, and more slender calves than whites.
Having certain structural characteristics, like small hip bones, long Achilles tendons, high
muscular attachment points, low body-fat, large muscles, and long legs does give an
athlete an advantage when it comes to sports requiring running and/or jumping. These
physical characteristics can give one a physical leverage advantage. If you take a look
around I'm sure you'll find that many possessing this structure, regardless of race, tend to
do well in activities involving speed or leaping ability. In fact, Olympic coaches from
many countries simply go looking for athletes with the right structural characteristics for
a particular sport. What looks right flyes right! If you're 6 foot and 400 lbs at 14 years
of age you'd probably make a good sumo wrestler or football lineman. In much the same
way there is a structure that tends to be ideal for jumping. The color of the skin has little
relevance when analyzing one's structure. It just so happens that more blacks tend to
have this particular structure than whites. For evidence, look at the sports of volleyball
and high-jumping. In these sports there are plenty of white athletes who have have mindboggling
leaping ability and they also tend to share the same ideal structural
characteristics.
Next, we'll take a look at muscle fiber type. Do blacks, as a group, tend to be endowed
with more fast-twitch muscle fiber? There is one scientific report that measured skeletal
muscle characteristics in a black and white population. It examined 23 black male
African students. These were untrained sedentary individuals. They were matched for
age, body weight, and body mass index. Muscle biopsies from the outer muscle of the
thigh revealed that the white subjects had 8% more Type I (slow twitch) muscle fibers
and 7% less Type IIA (fast twitch) fibers than black subjects. That is really not a very
large difference at all. Blacks also have, on average, a modest but significantly higher
level of testosterone (3-19%). Could this affect athletic performance? Possibly. It would
make it easier to build muscle mass. Furthermore, it may aid an athlete's training by
increasing training intensity, recovery ability, and lend towards a modest reduction in
body-fat. This could translate into better performance.
The take-home message from all of this is that yes, blacks may have genetic advantages
for speed and jumping activities when compared to whites.

frown.gif
Lucky.

Either way, I'm still busting my guts to dunk no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom