Graphic Designers come in!

So I am looking into being a graphic designer.. What is it like? How are the jobs? How is the learning process? I am not good with Photoshop or Illustrator at all. Is that something I should learn before? Any personal experiences would be helpful :D

It's fun, if you like designing and have a creative mind and passion it. The jobs are great if you have a BS, or your skill set is HIGHLY advance that they will overlook your non BS degree. The learning process is as easy as you want it to be, if you are not going to school for it, watch some YouTube tutorials, download the programs and start playing with it. Learn as much as possible of Adobe Creative Suites as possible (Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign), and again, if you have the passion for it, it will be a cake walk.

I took a course on it, but the teacher was soo damn slow, I said **** it, and learned it on my own, less than 2 weeks, :lol:. I've been doing this for about 3 years, working my way up, I'm not big time, I got a handful of clients and enjoy freelance graphic jobs. Most of my jobs are mobile app based though, but I want to move more into web as well.

It's fun, if you like designing and have a creative mind and passion it. The jobs are great if you have a BS, or your skill set is HIGHLY advance that they will overlook your non BS degree. The learning process is as easy as you want it to be, if you are not going to school for it, watch some YouTube tutorials, download the programs and start playing with it. Learn as much as possible of Adobe Creative Suites as possible (Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign), and again, if you have the passion for it, it will be a cake walk.
I took a course on it, but the teacher was soo damn slow, I said **** it, and learned it on my own, less than 2 weeks, :lol:. I've been doing this for about 3 years, working my way up, I'm not big time, I got a handful of clients and enjoy freelance graphic jobs. Most of my jobs are mobile app based though, but I want to move more into web as well.

wait so your working independently?

I'm getting my degree in Graphic Design, also work freelance whenever I have time to pick up a project but ultimately I'm trying to get into advertising.
What's your goal fam? Why graphic design? Are you looking into Web design, packaging design, Interactive design like apps, or just overall creative directing? They're all pretty closely intertwined but there's a different earning curve for each.
If you are just thinking about gettin a foot in and seeing what you like, I recommend getting your basic art skills up. Do some drawing and photography classes, just to get a good understanding of layouts and whatever. Technology changes every year but if you know what looks good and if you're able to work with your hands right away, you're going to have a uch easier time, believe me. If you're really eager to get into the programs then DEFINITELY get you photoshop and illustrator game going. The toughest parts are details but the basic principles of the programs aren't too hard to learn. Get at me if you need anything.

wait so your working independently?
Yes.

I want to do this FT, as a career. A lot of good money could be made, as long as you have the degree and skill to back it up. It can also venture into other industry like the mobile app industry which is where Im headed right now. I also have app (Android) development experience so that helps. I can (graphically) design and create my own apps.

Last edited:
I took Comp Graphics 1 when I was in HS. I enjoyed it.
There is a learning curve but nothing hard.

And yea, you def. gotta get good with Illustrator and Photoshop to be a graphic designer :lol:

i absolutely understand that. what i was wondering was if i should somewhat learn it before taking those actual courses.

I'm getting my degree in Graphic Design, also work freelance whenever I have time to pick up a project but ultimately I'm trying to get into advertising.
What's your goal fam? Why graphic design? Are you looking into Web design, packaging design, Interactive design like apps, or just overall creative directing? They're all pretty closely intertwined but there's a different earning curve for each.
If you are just thinking about gettin a foot in and seeing what you like, I recommend getting your basic art skills up. Do some drawing and photography classes, just to get a good understanding of layouts and whatever. Technology changes every year but if you know what looks good and if you're able to work with your hands right away, you're going to have a uch easier time, believe me. If you're really eager to get into the programs then DEFINITELY get you photoshop and illustrator game going. The toughest parts are details but the basic principles of the programs aren't too hard to learn. Get at me if you need anything.

Yes.
I want to do this FT, as a career. A lot of good money could be made, as long as you have the degree and skill to back it up. It can also venture into other industry like the mobile app industry which is where Im headed right now. I also have app (Android) development experience so that helps. I can (graphically) design and create my own apps.

I was thinking of taking online courses on graphic design and does it actually make it difference than physically taking it? i was looking into 9 months of courses and they give you a certificate at the end.

It's a dead end career. Good luck getting hired in this field

elaborate please.

nerd.gif

I'm not in Graphic Design but my close cousin who is like a brother that is in Graphic Designing. I personally don't like fast track programs as they seems like a scam 9 outta 10. Speaking with my cousin who is now in advertising, he said the best thing is experience and marketing yourself. Internships is a good start, problem is most place won't let you intern unless your attending a college. I would say go the traditional route as far as schooling. It a good field once you can connections and build relationships but it can be very fickle. Either your good at it, good at marketing yourself or both.....the latter is the most likely to survive.

Graphic Design is a very broad field as it can be taking many directions, you might want to narrow that down a bit.

I was thinking of taking online courses on graphic design and does it actually make it difference than physically taking it? i was looking into 9 months of courses and they give you a certificate at the end.

Don't do it. The certificate is not going to help you in terms of credentials, and the whole point of taking a course is to meet like minded people, as well as getting constructive critiques from your peers. Everything you're going to be learning in those 9 months, you could find on the internet if you looked hard enough yourself.
However, if you ARE thinking about taking online courses, I suggest something along the lines of http://teamtreehouse.com/.
It's not a program, and you go at your own pace, also it's monthly and you choose what you want to learn.
A certificate or a degree helps but for the most part, as a designer, 75% of getting any work is from your portfolio, the other part is who you know.
If you're going to take classes, do some research before, try to find out who's teaching the course and look up their work. A bit part of Graphic design is networking, you don't just take the classes to learn, you take them to make connections with like-minded people.

Graphic design is not an occupation you choose because you want to make money, it's something you pursue because you love the work.

it really depends what kind of graphic design youre wanting to get into. 

im a designer for a clothing brand, its dope and fun, its cool seeing people wear your designs, but it does get tedious and repetitive. thats about the worst of it.

Back
Top Bottom