Great Read in the Times Today about the Future of the NBA by David Falk (MJ's agent/friend)

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by Ja's 2¢, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Ja's 2¢

Ja's 2¢ formerly vcshoxj6

2. koolbarbone

koolbarbone

Interesting.

3. 0cks

0cks

Hope he is right. My hoop dreams are dunzo anyways.

4. i nasmatic i

i nasmatic i

I'm still iffy on the age limit.

Generally, it would bring in more polished players helping the NBA push a better product overall but then there are beasts like Durant that don't needto spend more than a year in college (if that).

5. blaxoid

blaxoid

I agree with all the points he makes. In the end its all to make a more competitive league.. at the moment there are too many roles players collecting heaps ofmoney for doing nothing.

6. RyGuy45

RyGuy45

7. flasheightzero

flasheightzero

stern's too smart to let a strike happen, his number one concern is the popularity of the NBA worldwide, and losing a season would be a major setback tothat.

there's gonna be big changes at the next cba talks, but a strike's not a real threat

8. straight lux

straight lux

that article makes you think whats to come in the next few years...another lockout?! i hope not!

9. coolnificent

coolnificent

and for every Durant and LeBron there will be 14 Kwame's [​IMG]

If what I just typed had nothing to do with this post please disregard [​IMG]

10. dmbrhs

dmbrhs

I'm not at all iffy. If the greatest players in NBA history could go to college, then so can tomorrow's stars. The NBA did a great thingturning to the rookie pay scale (which the NFL needs more than the NBA, by the way), but the guaranteed contracts are ruining the league. Teams throw agazillion dollars at some bum who put up decent stats because he's a free agent that summer, and then he shows up and puts up half the effort. In order tocompete, teams have to throw the money around, but they shouldn't be penalized for cutting that player.

11. Yep Contacts should be only guaranteed for 3 seasons at max, MLE cant be applied for more than a single season, then you must skip a year using it.

12. jdb1523

jdb1523

I still say contracts should be on an annual basis, and I'm still yet to see any articles/evidence of issues against it. This levels the playing field forguys 'taking the year off' or 'having a contract year' since, literally, everyone would be playing for one. I think the result would be agreater competition amongst players (great for the fanbase), as well as an avoidance of bloated, extended contracts (Wally Szczberiak, Brian Cardinal, BenWallace, Raef LaFrentz). Furthermore, teams wouldn't have to put up with *+%*!%$! situations like TMac and Arenas. The negotiating power needs to return tothe TEAMS, like in the '80s and early '90s, and not to the prima donna PLAYERS who act like they have a 'right' to get this money. There israrely a sense of privilege to play for a team or loyalty to them, and this is what the League needs to be returned to.

13. RyGuy45

RyGuy45

^ Good points. Thing is though if you go with all 1-year contracts you are going to see loads of players being even more ball hogs and stat queens cause theyknow they have to. I agree play overall could improve but there are so many non star players in this league who think they are stars and would treat each yearas their personal tryout.....positively and negatively.

14. jdb1523

jdb1523

^Those are also good points, I didn't even think of that to be honest, and I think you could be right. At the same time though, being reckless in theattempt to 'stat pad' would only hurt their contract for the upcoming year. I know my idea is only theoretical...but, you know [​IMG] I know what youmean though, and I guess we can only wonder.

15. cadillacflow

cadillacflow

I agree with you and Ry. But.........wouldn't that mean players would be able to leave a team after 1 year. That would totally mess up any team chemistryand the team play would be terrible in the NBA, you would probably have an almost completely new team every year.

16. 703 hwy

703 hwy

2-3 yr minimum then you can come into the league, would eliminate a lot of clutter.

17. xtapolapacetl

xtapolapacetl Banned

18. pr0phecy718

pr0phecy718

19. DownByLaw

DownByLaw

20. eeibaby

eeibaby

[​IMG] @ the second part.
    Foreal, telling me Bron, KB, DWade don't make that much money?

But on the other note first person that came to mind when I read that first sentence was Rashard Lewis [​IMG]

21. kdwallace

kdwallace

Exactly.

This league has turned into a joke with the contracts, and as usual the fan pays for it. I'm all for even average dudes getting what they can get, but honestly the big men (especially) have contracts now that are embarrassing.
    I also wonder how much the league enjoys the fact that 90% of all player trades are essentially cap deals, getting rid of salaries, gaining expiring contracts, etc. as opposed to actual dealing talent.
    Yeah, he's absolutely right.

We need to wind the clock back 10 years and then adjust for inflation - salaries have gone nuts since then.

I was thinking about this yesterday when I saw that Szcerbiak makes $13m! I like the guy and he's decent but he should be making $1m - which is still greatmoney. It's just gone crazy.