Happy 19th birthday NikeTalk!

6E5E662A-4124-4A33-92EC-572A497E8C30.jpeg

On this, NikeTalk's 19th anniversary, I'd like to throw it back to a (slight edited down) post I made on NT's 5th bday, back in 2004. Even back then, some were saying how we'd changed and NT wasn't the same. Sound familiar? The feeling of community is still here, and that's because of our members.

Happy birthday guys, happy birthday NikeTalk!

full
Well said - then and now.

Back in 2004, NikeTalk was still on its original platform, ezboard. Fourteen years and three platforms later, it's clear that NikeTalk is less a location or destination than a culture. It is where we are - as long as we're together.

Although NikeTalk has transcended hosts and software platforms, I'd be remiss if I didn't take a moment to acknowledge just how close we actually came to losing both last year. When Wikia/Fandom imploded, we had only a few months to convert over a decade and a half of data encoded in a proprietary format to a new platform, find a new host, and build a new website.

@HellaSteph, and the company she founded, saved NikeTalk. Today, thanks to her efforts, NikeTalk looks and runs better than ever - and we're just getting started. Later this year, we're planning a significant software upgrade, which will introduce a few key new features (including one very popular request) and further improve the site's functionality.

In 2019, we'll also release new NT gear, in furtherance of our community's longstanding commitment to charitable fundraising, and organize a community meet-up event to celebrate next year's twentieth(!) anniversary.

When Nelson founded NikeTalk in 1999, both of us were regular visitors of a number of independently operated websites run by and for fellow sports & sneaker enthusiasts. At the time, that small but vibrant collecting community, which we were a part of, cried out for change. We wanted accountability. We wanted respect. We wanted security. We wanted better. NikeTalk was less about leading than being led, less about speaking than about listening.

When we set out together, we did so in pursuit of a direction - not a destination. I had no idea that the journey would last more than half my life, or that I'd give up sneaker collecting nine years in - and keep going for another decade and counting. I had no idea that we'd travel together with like-minded friends from all around the world, that we'd raise over $400,000 for charity, that we'd outlast the very platform that hosted our community (and the second platform that hosted our community, and the third platform that hosted our community), that our collective influence would carry so far, or that some of our fellow members would go from talking about sports, music, and sneakers to playing in the NBA, recording hit songs, or designing signature sneakers for the some of the world's premiere athletes.

Thank you to Nelson C, our extraordinary team, and to all of you for leading us here.

It's an honor to walk this path with you.

Well, most of you...

Of course I can't thank anyone without thanking Method Man. No one has held it down like him. No one has put in as much time into maintaining Niketalk as he has, no one on this site has put the community's interest first and foremost as much as him, he hasn't just held it down, he's held it together. I'm truly the Pippen to his Jordan.
I was touched, humbled, and honored to read those words ten years ago - and that's even more true today, after everything we and NikeTalk have been through together.

All that we've done, we've done as a team.
I'm grateful to assist.

tumblr_n37dd3aJ6C1tvseoho1_400.gif

I saw a post on Instagram recently of someone who used to post frequently here and I commented "why don't you post on NT anymore "
He replied "lol, it's just easier to put it all here and message boards are pretty much extinct"

I don't visit other message boards so I don't know if that's true.
But I think that for everyone who has been here for quite some time , this is more than a message board.
I think if I ever met some of you, I would already consider you friends even though we had never even met previously.
I'm not sure how long this place will be around, but as long as it's here , I'll always enjoy being a part of this community.

Message boards are indeed dead but NT will be here for a long long time.

As much as the old heads like to bash new members, it's those same ones keeping it alive, just as much as the old heads.

Always wanted to know why, or how, SC was able to get official Nike collabs and we didn't.

How fitting if the rumored "bred" 11 returns coinciding with the 20th anniversary. We should get an official collab next year as well.

Been doing this NT thing since 2005-06
Under a different name (malkid14)

Stumbled on it by accident, thank God that accident happen.

NT will always be the #1 site for the nexus of information.

Happy Birthday NT :pimp:

As others stated I don't really do social media so this is my only outlet.

Can't believe we outlasted every other sneakerboard and some even had backing from companies, but it's always been us and our weird community :lol:

Not going to lie... excited, curious and anxious about next year to see if we do it big for the big 20 year anniversary.

Back
Top Bottom