tryna give my dude a L
nah all the time issa got piped down
but my dude
who truly living his best life
try to get him out the paint
with the std
nah
u gonna have to try harder than that

WTF conclusion Issa come to at the end tho?? I guess supposed to a cliffhanger...

And yea chlamydia nothin but a hiccup. Flourish on sir. Outchea smanglin some prime yambs...

Yeah Issa has that Marky Mark face going on at the end of the episode.
6B9F4803-20E5-4705-A64D-7D9D279CB77F.gif

Everything about Nathan is vague. He def. got something to hide :lol:

He's close to a regular this season, but there's really not much disclosed about him other than 1-2 sentence answers :lol:

1. Houston

2. Barber

He says all the things Issa wants to hear...

YEP. Says all the things. This guy might just be a seasoned finesser :lol:. He aint lie one time just aint telling everything

great episode. So many quotables.

I had to watch it twice. Still waiting on them to reveal that derek isnt the dad...the friends growing apart dynamic was all too real. Issa's "warning" before candace came over was sheer hilarity. Kelli and Chad make the show.

Chad lowkey bitter right now. lol Called issa a *** but his wife left him for cheating yet encouraging Lawerence to do the same thing Issa was doing. Keep in mind Issa was/is wild awkward and she talked her own way out of smashing. How many sexual encounters even actually happened? All I can think of was the weird headed dude and Daniel.

Insecure Flourished When It Got Rid of Lawrence. Now He’s Back.
d023c24e-a287-49fa-a947-14164849dc4b.jpeg

Jay Ellis and Issa Rae in Insecure.
HBO

https://slate.com/culture/2018/09/insecure-lawrence-return-season-3.html

When it was revealed that Season 3 of Insecure would not feature Lawrence, I was both elated and concerned. Part of what made the show appointment viewing and a social media phenomenon was the #TeamLawrence-vs.-#TeamIssa dynamic. Each Sunday night, Americans from all walks of life tuned in to HBO to watch Issa and Lawrence make poor decisions; yet despite these misadventures, viewers took to social media to defend the indefensible. #TeamIssa rationalized their namesake’s cheating while #TeamLawrence tried to explain his boneheadedness by arguing that we must view his actions as a response to his girlfriend’s breach of trust. Learning that Jay Ellis’ character would not be returning made me wonder if the show would be able to continue to build momentum without him. So I was concerned—but, truth be told, I was also elated.

While my friends call me Law, I am very protective of my name because, well, as Marlo said on The Wire, my name is my name. Season 2 of Insecure had folks out here thinking that my given name was synonymous with selfishness, passive-aggressive communication, and poor decision making. So while I was concerned about what Lawrence’s departure meant for the popularity of the show (especially when it came to the Team Lawrence crowd), I was happy that my name would no longer be associated with a character I found to be objectively terrible. Turns out there was no reason to be concerned. The show spent the first four episodes of Season 3 proving that it did not need Lawrence to have a compelling narrative, and now it appears that he may be back (along with Chad’s endlessly memeable straw sipping).

Insecure’s willingness to follow the narrative arc of a beloved character and allow them to fade into the background is a move that many shows do not have the confidence to make.
At its best, Insecure is a show about young black women in an increasingly gentrified Inglewood, California, whose lives are sometimes a mess but who make it livable because they love and support one another. However, last year, the show began to center Lawrence’s character in a way that made for excellent social media fodder but often left Issa and her crew on the periphery. This season has been a course correction. Thus far, the episodes have been about reacquainting us with the two characters who make the show work: Issa and Molly.

We’ve seen Issa slowly find an apartment, no small feat in Los Angeles, and she has finally come to terms with the ubiquitous white supremacy of We Got Y’all, her place of employment since Season 1. A highlight of this season thus far was watching Issa walk away from the nonprofit—even if her departure was ill-advised given her financial situation. In a similar vein, breakout star Yvonne Orji’s Molly is a wonderful character who spent too much of Season 2 clutching her teddy bear wondering what was going on with Sarunas J. Jackson’s Dro. This season, she sent him packing and, as a result, we spend time seeing both Issa and Molly doing things that are not centered around the men in their lives.

Insecure’s willingness to follow the narrative arc of a beloved character and allow them to fade into the background is a move that many shows do not have the confidence to make. Power, Starz’s urban soap opera staring Omari Hardwick, 50 Cent, and Naturi Naughton, is as addictive as it is terrible, and an example of a show that, at least in the past, has refused to kill off characters. As a result, the narrative is frustratingly stagnant while characters’ motivations are increasingly nonsensical. Prentice Penny, showrunner for Insecure, and Issa Rae understand that new characters keep the story fresh, but on a show that runs for 30 minutes with only eight episodes a season, old favorites must fade away to make room for those who are new.

This week’s return of Lawrence will test my theory. We saw him in the Season 2 finale parting ways with Issa and moving into an uncertain future with a sense of closure. It was the perfect ending for the Jay Ellis character. Now he is back and the next episode appears to feature him prominently. This could be a step backward; however, it could also work since the show was intentional about showing us that Issa was far more emotionally stable without my namesake in the picture.

I’ll tune in this week to see what they have in mind with Lawrence. If he has not learned anything from the first two seasons, I may have to legally change my name to Law. My given name would have an irreparably negative connotation in these pop culture streets.

It's interesting how Insecure shows the dynamic of male/female relationships w/ their peers.

On one hand, you have the men...still going strong even after MAJOR life changes. Marriage, separation/divorce/babies. However, with the women, you could just feel the pain Kelly was going thru (hell of an acting job) when Issa's girls had the heart-to-heart outside of the baby shower. Not to mention Tiffany's "new" friends. Guys aren't like that.

This show plays out super-realistically with some of the situations the characters find themselves in.

Dro was being awkward when Issa said hi to Lawrence. You not paying attention.

You Hive dudes need to give it a rest.
Why you even need the second part? You can very easily just disagree and then point out the scene in which you were referring, as you had already done in the first sentence. Why you so ****in extra bro?

It's interesting how Insecure shows the dynamic of male/female relationships w/ their peers.

On one hand, you have the men...still going strong even after MAJOR life changes. Marriage, separation/divorce/babies. However, with the women, you could just feel the pain Kelly was going thru (hell of an acting job) when Issa's girls had the heart-to-heart outside of the baby shower. Not to mention Tiffany's "new" friends. Guys aren't like that.

This show plays out super-realistically with some of the situations the characters find themselves in.

I think the women planning the party were hella messy. Like that whole "Oh, you brought 'back-up' cupcakes" line. If Kelli hauled off and slapped shorty for the disrespect she would've been wrong, when shorty knows exactly what she's doing. They be the main girls trying to play the victim after they've completely passive aggressively antagonized an otherwise chill situation.

Why you even need the second part? You can very easily just disagree and then point out the scene in which you were referring, as you had already done in the first sentence. Why you so ****in extra bro?

I think the women planning the party were hella messy. Like that whole "Oh, you brought 'back-up' cupcakes" line. If Kelli hauled off and slapped shorty for the disrespect she would've been wrong, when shorty knows exactly what she's doing. They be the main girls trying to play the victim after they've completely passive aggressively antagonized an otherwise chill situation.

U ain't lying... :lol:

There was tension in there from the jump. Even from Tiffany's talk w/ Issa in the car, you could tell that she'd already "moved on." However, you could see the love/appreciation from her husband towards Lawrence JUST by him showing up. On top of it all, L got dude a gift. :lol:

Yup. That "yeah I hope so" line from Tiff about staying friends was laced with "probably not tho" attitude.

It's less her friends leaving her out and more her leaving her old friends behind. The way she did Kelli was ****ed up. She did everything she was supposed to as a friend only to walk in there and immediately get disrespected by 'The Crazy Crew'.

rewatching the last episode and i just remembered that article/interview where issa was talking black women getting with asian dudes.
That Molly/Andrew storyline probably go a long way?

Props to you for picking up on that playa.

Series is gonna end soon. Dude is gonna fall into the cat that saves Molly's hurt *** trust and believe. She's gonna have a moment where she's awaken and gonna realize how all love is right and "black love" is a social construct to pigeonhold black women and prevent them from reaching "true happiness"

When it comes to Nathan it's obvious my man got some skeletons back in H-tine and made it a point of his to get back in contact with Issa and start the finesse game to get the authorities off his ***.

The way he went about that **** is exceptional. When you first meet a chick you show them a great time in a unconventional way. Let them speak, say very little but say the "right things" mixed in with great questions. Proceed to go completely ghost and it's a guarantee next time you see her them guts are yours.

I forgot about that Asian men and black women thing in her book.

She slipped that in the show without the haters immediately picking up on it and hating hard.

Chinese men and black women was what she said in her book. Don’t know if y’all read it, but it was actually more satire than anything. But like others has said, good slip in to include it in the show.

Back
Top Bottom