Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not sure I understand the point you're trying to make... are you saying that fully vaccinated people are getting infected at the same rate as unvaccinated people? Were your friends who tested positive fully vaccinated or they went to the event to get their (first or second?) dose?
Never said that, don't know where you're getting that from. I'm saying we were told breakouts were rare, and it's apparently not rare at all. Many people are under the assumption that the chances of getting infected while vaccinated are extremely slim.

Infected people spread and replicate the virus, vaccinated or unvaccinated.

The event was a day party that required proof of vaccination for entry, I believe both doses.

About 5 full days of feeling symptomatic and my first positive test, I still feel ehh. Feels like the flu with no fever really. Can't regulate my body temp, cough and congestion, watery eyes, and some bad body aches. I am WINDED today though. Had to take a breath during a sentence like I just ran a mile.

Still nothing bad or tragic and my symptoms haven't gotten progressively worse but don't feel like I'm turning the corner yet.

In comparison, the two other people I know tested positive at work have both been in the hospital and one is still struggling to talk a week after first showing symptoms. I couldn't see my family for my birthday and one brother and his wife aren't vaccinated but fortunately my mom and other brother are.. I preached to them to get vaccinated and for everyone to keep wearing your mask.

About 5 full days of feeling symptomatic and my first positive test, I still feel ehh. Feels like the flu with no fever really. Can't regulate my body temp, cough and congestion, watery eyes, and some bad body aches. I am WINDED today though. Had to take a breath during a sentence like I just ran a mile.

Still nothing bad or tragic and my symptoms haven't gotten progressively worse but don't feel like I'm turning the corner yet.

In comparison, the two other people I know tested positive at work have both been in the hospital and one is still struggling to talk a week after first showing symptoms. I couldn't see my family for my birthday and one brother and his wife aren't vaccinated but fortunately my mom and other brother are.. I preached to them to get vaccinated and for everyone to keep wearing your mask.
Get well soon.

Got my second jab Wednesday and felt beat up until today.

It’s basically no different than catching existing viruses we have lived with.

We have peer-reviewed research on the long term effects of Covid-19 and its recent variants?

I must have missed that. Post the evidence.
In any event nah, I'm Good. I don't want it AT ALL

I hate getting sick, I hate getting the flu and I hate any virus that can impact my health/mobility/senses. I'm not overweight nor do I shove alcohol, cigarettes and processed foods in my body so if you're cool getting covid-19, do you.

Some, if not most of us took the vaccine in hopes that we could avoid contracting it altogether.

No sympathy or empathy for those who continue to spread the virus around creating variants and making life more difficult for those who did their part to slow down the pandemic. I will lose no sleep after seeing what happens to them.

We have peer-reviewed research on the long term effects of Covid-19 and its recent variants?

I hate getting sick, I hate getting the flu and I hate any virus that can impact my health/mobility/senses. I'm not overweight nor do I shove alcohol, cigarettes and processed foods in my body so if you're cool getting covid-19, do you.

Some, if not most of us took the vaccine in hopes that we could avoid contracting it altogether.

No sympathy or empathy for those who continue to spread the virus around creating variants and making life more difficult for those who did their part to slow down the pandemic. I will lose no sleep after seeing what happens to them.
this this and THIS

I dont understand the i'd rather just fight it instead of getting the vaccine. Like fighting a deadly virus is going to be a walk in the park.

Getting sick is the worst especially when I got sick damn near every couple of months when I was a kid

I think you may have misunderstood what flyknitjb flyknitjb was saying. My understanding is that he was saying that if you catch COVID after vaccination, you are likely to have relatively mild disease similar to existing viruses since your immune system should recognize the virus, which should hopefully prevent severe disease and death.

I think you may have misunderstood what flyknitjb flyknitjb was saying. My understanding is that he was saying that if you catch COVID after vaccination, you are likely to have relatively mild disease similar to existing viruses since your immune system should recognize the virus, which should hopefully prevent severe disease and death.

This is what I’m saying. Chances of never being exposed to the virus in your lifetime is slim to none. Not getting infected at all isn’t what the vaccine does. For most people mild symtoms will be best case scenario. Stopping variants isnt just USA. The rest of the world will never be vaccinated enough to stop that threat.

Can someone break this down a bit and explain

first off,
drug efficacy = ability of drug to elicit a response, this is based on pharmacologic mumbo jumbo and population data/stats
drug potency = dose/concentration needed for maximum response, usually based relative to similar drug (ie drug x needs smaller dose to reduce blood pressure by the same amount as drug y, so drug x is more potent)

going point by point on his tweets:
1. based on those graphs out of Israel, apparently the vaccine efficacy went down for Pfizer in its' ability to do its thing the farther out you are from your second dose:
39% Pfizer VE for #COVID19 infection = 39% able to stop breakthrough/reinfection
40.5% for symptomatic = 40.5% able to stop symptomatic infection
88% for hospitalization = 88% able to prevent hospitalization
91% for ICU/low oxygen/ death. = 91% able to prevent extreme problems
-the numbers he's quoting is an average looks like, so the folks who got their 2nd dose in January are experiencing complications more than the people who got theirs more recent.

...waning potency, showing just 16% effectiveness against transmission among those 2nd-shot vaccinated in January, 44% VE if vaccinated in February, 67% VE if 2nd shot in March, 75% if vaccinated in April
so less potent = more drug/dose is needed to have the same response by your immune system. sounds like he's saying that if the standard is not being infected after the 2nd dose, the vaccine is weaker/not working as well for people who got theirs earlier vs those who got theirs more recent. he worded it weird though IMO

3. hospitalizations and severe complication outcomes went down by a few percentage points each compared to 2 weeks ago and compared to May

4. people who got their second shot in Jan are seeing higher rates of breakthrough infection, and it steadily trends down as the months go down up to now. but like he says there's bias there in that elderly/the most vulnerable got their second shots around that time so it makes sense that they would be more likely to have breakthrough infections

5. yikes Israel

6. he drops the hammer that if you split up point #4 by age group, under 60 with january 2nd shot have a similar rate of breakthrough infection as the elderly with january 2nd shot.

7. ability of vaccine to prevent infection (it looks like hes saying in general) went from May 94% -> June 64% -> now 40%. yikes. with the caveat that the Delta variant is recent and blowing up the numbers

8-13. dont let your guard down, might need boosters, news updates, etc.

IMO I'm gonna attribute this to the Delta variant. breakthrough infections for the fully vaccinated is worrisome but just gotta be smart like we been for the last year+. thank you for this distraction I should be working/studying right now :lol:

first off,
drug efficacy = ability of drug to elicit a response, this is based on pharmacologic mumbo jumbo and population data/stats
drug potency = dose/concentration needed for maximum response, usually based relative to similar drug (ie drug x needs smaller dose to reduce blood pressure by the same amount as drug y, so drug x is more potent)

going point by point on his tweets:
1. based on those graphs out of Israel, apparently the vaccine efficacy went down for Pfizer in its' ability to do its thing the farther out you are from your second dose:
39% Pfizer VE for #COVID19 infection = 39% able to stop breakthrough/reinfection
40.5% for symptomatic = 40.5% able to stop symptomatic infection
88% for hospitalization = 88% able to prevent hospitalization
91% for ICU/low oxygen/ death. = 91% able to prevent extreme problems
-the numbers he's quoting is an average looks like, so the folks who got their 2nd dose in January are experiencing complications more than the people who got theirs more recent.

so less potent = more drug/dose is needed to have the same response by your immune system. sounds like he's saying that if the standard is not being infected after the 2nd dose, the vaccine is weaker/not working as well for people who got theirs earlier vs those who got theirs more recent. he worded it weird though IMO

3. hospitalizations and severe complication outcomes went down by a few percentage points each compared to 2 weeks ago and compared to May

4. people who got their second shot in Jan are seeing higher rates of breakthrough infection, and it steadily trends down as the months go down up to now. but like he says there's bias there in that elderly/the most vulnerable got their second shots around that time so it makes sense that they would be more likely to have breakthrough infections

5. yikes Israel

6. he drops the hammer that if you split up point #4 by age group, under 60 with january 2nd shot have a similar rate of breakthrough infection as the elderly with january 2nd shot.

7. ability of vaccine to prevent infection (it looks like hes saying in general) went from May 94% -> June 64% -> now 40%. yikes. with the caveat that the Delta variant is recent and blowing up the numbers

8-13. dont let your guard down, might need boosters, news updates, etc.

IMO I'm gonna attribute this to the Delta variant. breakthrough infections for the fully vaccinated is worrisome but just gotta be smart like we been for the last year+. thank you for this distraction I should be working/studying right now :lol:
So basically, this Delta strain is going to be spread by everyone. The vaccine prevents severe cases, but the whole notion of reaching herd immunity through vaccination doesn't make sense to me if it doesn't provide immunity from infection.

waning potency, showing just 16% effectiveness against transmission among those 2nd-shot vaccinated in January, 44% VE if vaccinated in February, 67% VE if 2nd shot in March, 75% if vaccinated in April
Thanks for the breakdown.

I'm a little skeptical of these numbers. That seems like way too steep of a drop-off for immune protection, especially since lots of other studies have shown robust protection many months out. Unless there's something peculiar about delta.

My idea is that we release a delta booster in the fall but FDA only approves it for those who received the initial covid vaccine at least 3 months prior. Simultaneously the drug companies pull all the initial vaccines off the market. Everybody wins because then anti-vaxxers can say that they didn't get the vaccine because it was pulled rather than sound like idiots trying to explain some bogus conspiracy theory.

So basically, this Delta strain is going to be spread by everyone. The vaccine prevents severe cases, but the whole notion of reaching herd immunity through vaccination doesn't make sense to me if it doesn't provide immunity from infection.
We could still reach herd immunity even with just 50% protection from infection, but it requires a higher percentage of people to get the vaccine (maybe 90% as opposed to the 60% with the initial strains).

However keep in mind as well that vaccinated people, even if they only get 50% protection from getting infected with Delta, they probably also are much less likely to pass it on to somebody else. We don't know the exact numbers for this but it is highly likely that vaxxed people are spreading covid less avidly than antivaxxers. So we could still reach herd immunity if another 10-20% of people get vaccinated.

The numbers are discouraging in a vaccuum but the situation in Israel could be like jerusabama or something lol. Just gotta be smart. Herd immunity can come the problem is that the virus is still out there going strong because of the people who aren’t getting vaccinated. We can only do our parts.

Thanks for the breakdown.

I'm a little skeptical of these numbers. That seems like way too steep of a drop-off for immune protection, especially since lots of other studies have shown robust protection many months out. Unless there's something peculiar about delta.

also skeptical. Plus the way the data was presented makes it look really bad.

yeah. for sure, the news isn't good, but they're at 2 deaths per day as a country, so I'm not going to panic unless that number starts skyrocketing.

thinking about this more, Israel has a population of 9 million vs. USA 328 million. a smaller and (I'm assuming) more homogeneous society would make it "easier" to maintain a united response vs. the pandemic., unlike the US who has people who would rather get put on a breathing tube and be near death vs. a vaccine that "I heard has some issues" :stoneface:

edit 2: thinking about this more more, a smaller population is more prone to random chance and small outbreaks affecting a large portion of the people. i dunno I guess for me its too much of a reach to take their number and extrapolate it towards the US given all the differences.

edit: and if any israeli/ME NTers wanna chime in and let me know I don't know what I'm talking about and/or racist, please feel free :nerd: :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom