Hoop dreams .....

For fans of Hoop Dream, you will appreciate this book. Follows Coney Island high school ballers. Stephon Marbury is a younger cousin of one of the main characters and is described as cocky and arrogant at like 13
laugh.gif

Read it for Sociology in my college days.

15g2p9t.jpg

I saw this when i was like 13 in 2002..... I was like woah the game has changed since the mid 90's

It is also sad to think those kids never made it , and there fam had been killed in the streets since then.....

These guys still around ?

i hope atleast coaching somewhere...

This was in Chi town right ? in the height of the bulls era.

I tried to watch that 2007 doc Hoop Reality... film was poorly produced and really had no drive. I stopped watching after about 30 min.

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

I tried to watch that 2007 doc Hoop Reality... film was poorly produced and really had no drive. I stopped watching after about 30 min.

Understandable 
laugh.gif

Dudes had talent and couldn't make it. Which is the reality for a majority of dudes with this dream, best Doc I've ever seen. 

i saw this for the first time last year...

i don't know !#*% about sports but it made me sad for those two guys...

Originally Posted by Physicx

listened to the 30 for 30 podcast with steve james last week and just HAD to watch the film when i got home that day
Steve James is one of the most interesting and intelligent dudes that I've ever met, not to mention a great director. I was close friends with one of his sons growing up, so I spent a lot of time with their family. Watch the rest of his documentaries, they're all damn good.

OP do you hoop? You play college ball? Both of these dudes played college level ball. These 2 guys were RECRUITED to play highschool at St. Joes.(Isiah Thomas played there and people often compared Gates to him. OP go back and watch it closely these guys were the truth, now thing didnt workout for them on the biggest and highest level but man these dudes could go.

Seen this on netflix last year its amazing how the film follows them throughout high school like we witnessed these dudes grow up

Damn... just realized that was Collins who went to Kansas, beat my Memphis Tigers and D.Rose squad that year.

Wonder if there is a documentary following Rose from Simeon, to Memphis to NBA.

Would love to see more of his Tigers days and the *Record breaking season w/ Calipari & Co.

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

For fans of Hoop Dream, you will appreciate this book. Follows Coney Island high school ballers. Stephon Marbury is a younger cousin of one of the main characters and is described as cocky and arrogant at like 13
laugh.gif

15g2p9t.jpg

I remember finding this at the library back in the day and was like
eek.gif
.  Author described Marbury having handle as a kid dribbled like the "ball was on a string." 

Originally Posted by bauercans

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

laugh.gif

15g2p9t.jpg

I remember finding this at the library back in the day and was like
eek.gif
.  Author described Marbury having handle as a kid dribbled like the "ball was on a string." 

When Marbury would mooch off the author for some mcdonalds
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by tim teufel

Not knocking the documentary cause it showed two random kids trying to make it. Just saying they could have picked someone that at least had a shot to make it. These two dudes didn't have a shot once I saw each of them on the court
I think you completely missed the point of the doc. That WAS the point. You know how many inner city kids from Chicago had the same aspirations and were NOT even as good as Will and Arthur? You say they were scrubs, but fam, they played for storied Chicago programs. Arthur played at the same HS Isiah Thomas played. It was to show kids the reality of making a D1 or even the NBA.

It's amazing seeing the responses of people saying they just saw this for the first time last year. I feel old
laugh.gif

Still my favorite documentary to this day. You just want both of the players to make it and to have a good future, but in the end the odds are just too highly stacked against them.

I actually just seen this documentary a few months ago as well, you get really wrapped up in their
story and pull for them to be successful but the odds are completely stacked against them. Good
documentary overall

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

Damn... just realized that was Collins who went to Kansas, beat my Memphis Tigers and D.Rose squad that year.

Wonder if there is a documentary following Rose from Simeon, to Memphis to NBA.

Would love to see more of his Tigers days and the *Record breaking season w/ Calipari & Co.

I've watched, in person, a lot of great high school basketball players who went on to D1 and NBA success throughout the years in both Minneapolis and Chicago... and Sharron Collins is probably the best high school guard I have ever seen play live...

Back
Top Bottom