Houston Rockets Thread '19 Preseason - The Tweet Seen Around The World

I think we can all agree that Les never said anything and just fell back. He never tried making himself the face of the franchise.

Here’s a small excerpt from an article off of fanragsports and sb nation about his dealings with the NHL. I know I read an article on Probasketballtalk or Prohockeytalk about how he didn’t want another tenant at the Toyota center because it would conflict with scheduling shows and concerts he could book and felt that was more profitable.

“First, he raised the already above-market rent at the Toyota Center for the Aeros by an estimated 300 percent the season before the Minnesota Wild (who then owned the Aeros as their affiliate) were forced to relocate the club. He also wrote a clause in the current lease agreement for the Toyota Center that only enables an NHL club owned by him to play at the arena, effectively blocking another team from coming to town without his permission.

It seems that the NHL was unamused by the tycoon’s attempts to force its hand and award him a club; Houston has been at the bottom of the list of realistic expansion options ever since.

In the end, Alexander got his payback on Watson, as the Aeros were driven out of town and he was given full control over an arena for his beloved Rockets.”

Peep Game Peep Game

He was a a business man first and foremost, cant hate that. He wasn't trying to be all in the limelight like Tilman. Who's already made more public moves in two years, than Les ever did his whole tenure.

g-time g-time
In 1998, Alexander attempted to purchase and relocate the National Hockey League's Edmonton Oilers franchise, but a grassroots bid by local businessmen successfully prevented the sale.

I'm no hockey fan, but it makes sense that he would rather an NHL team as opposed to an IHL/AHL team. I mean there is a reason the IHL league folded, they weren't making money plain and simple. Are we really gonna hold a hockey team against Les? Honestly Hockey in Houston Texas?.? Been living here almost 34 years and never once had a someone mention hockey to me... well I might have when the Aeros won they're chips. As much as I love my Rockets, we're a football and baseball city first, basketball comes maybe last, even to the Dynamo... As much as I hate to admit it. Les' moves were really just what any business man would have done it was just about money. Was he a bit greedy? Sure but what true business man isn't, and never once was I under the impression, he was by any means bad for the Rockets. But hey if you don't like him, that's your opinion which you're entitled to, no shade towards you, just sounds like you didn't like him because of the Hockey moves, not necessarily his basketball moves.

20191008_210912.jpg

It’s not just about the hockey. That’s just some of it. The aeroes thrived here and were a huge favorite and upset a good amount of ppl when they had to move. Hell, there’s still an ice rink here in jersey village willow brook mall area based off of them called the aerodrome.

The NHL for years was trying to get into the Houston market. It’s a top 5 national market. I can’t find the article but there’s much more behind his bid for Edmonton that would of burned the league and the commissioner. Like he would of bought the franchise, relocated them somewhere other than Houston because they didn’t have an arena at the time, flip them to another buyer to profit and then secure the expansion franchise that would become the Nashville Predators for Houston. It supposedly rubbed the owners and the league wrong, where that got that grassroots group involved to insure that didn’t happen. It was a pretty lengthy article on either probasketballtalk pr prokockeytalk that came out when Tillman purchased the rockets and was discussing bringing a NHL team to Houston.

Yes he did a lot for the Rockets, but a lot of it was done to make sure he was profiting, even if it meantime setting the rockets back teamwise. Which hey, if your successful do you. I have nothing against that. Just don’t think he should be painted a saint because people aren’t thrilled with Tillman. Dude hasn’t even owned the team more than two years yet. He has to be front and center to put his stamp on a franchise his name is tied to.

It’s not like Tillman just got into wanting to own an NBA franchise. Guy was one of the buyers bidding against Les in ‘93.

^He actually does not have to be front and center, the star players are supposed to be front and center. The fans come to see the players play, not Tilman Diddy himself all in the video

Pretty good game til the reserves lost the lead :lol: :lol: liked stuff I saw with Westbrook on the court finally. I just don't want him taking 3s. Just passing, hitting jumpers, slashing, and attacking.

dang. can't even picture yao being pissed off as he's always been so calm and level headed. kinda sucks, but it is what it is. i can see morey being fired. he's cost the team and the league A LOT of money. they'll make up some excuse and say he was fired for other reasons, but i think he's as good as gone by next summer.

pretty cool how yao got rich & famous off the opportunities this country provided him and is now on the opposing end of things

Last edited:
Why exactly are we criticizing Yao, when it was Morey who was in the wrong and costing the rockets and the league money? Lol

dang. can't even picture yao being pissed off as he's always been so calm and level headed. kinda sucks, but it is what it is. i can see morey being fired. he's cost the team and the league A LOT of money. they'll make up some excuse and say he was fired for other reasons, but i think he's as good as gone by next summer.

It's possible, especially if they flop in the playoffs. I'd hate to see it though...
Sounds like Silver's gonna do everything to protect Morey though.

I get the feeling as bad as this is turning out, it's gonna end up blowing over.

Why exactly are we criticizing Yao, when it was Morey who was in the wrong and costing the rockets and the league money? Lol

It’s not wrong to speak up about people wanting basic rights and decency, but I 100% understand the position Yao is in.

It’s also neither one of their faults that China has the US by the nuts on this issue. Look on the inside of your shoes and the tags on your shirts and see where they were made. That’s the problem but that’s been the case probably since any of us were born.

Last edited:
pretty cool how yao got rich & famous off the opportunities this country provided him and is now on the opposing end of things

I mean it's kinda like if Yao made comments like Morey did, you best believe LeBron (I only use Lebron as an example, because I dont see Jordan or Kobe taking any kind of political stance like Lebron) would be taking the same stance Yao is. Plus the culture in China is much different Yao almost has to take a stance, or face the wrath of China. Or China might Wang Zhizhi him...

Just unloaded these cant sell em yet
shopping (1).jpeg
this might be close to what the 5th Rockets Jersey will look like this season.

Bossman thinks November, but maybe earlier just depends on the GMs mood. Most likely if the Astros dont advance, or the season officially starts. I think you can find em online for sale already though. I'm really hoping this is the design for the 5th jersey or at least the Jersey is similar to this. I love it, it's part ketchup & mustard part pinstripe.

Champs and Eastbay have it on the website but it wont let me check out. Wasn't gonna cop from there anyways, I was just checking. I'll wait to use my disco at DSG.

Another one of those roller coaster games where they end up with a big lead, lose it, fall behind, then come back and win :lol: Westbrook shot 11 3s :x he did a good job attacking the basket though and moved around a lot better. Pretty much everybody brought something, and the reserves held on to the lead

That is so damn trash
When I first heard about it, it was a sprain... then broken... and now they need more opinions. Weird situation, it either broken or not, pretty sure that's what X-Rays are for :ohwell:. I'm starting to think we need a new medical team.

When I first heard about it, it was a sprain... then broken... and now they need more opinions. Weird situation, it either broken or not, pretty sure that's what X-Rays are for :ohwell:. I'm starting to think we need a new medical team.

Yeah it seems like they like to keep stuff under wraps, thus angering a lot of people. This injury basically means 2 of Mclemore, Thabo, Blossomgame, and Clark have to level up.

I would wear that

when can they start selling it?

Got a memo today that said no Nike "city" jerseys should be sold until the 8th of November, which this t was included on, its sounding more and more like our city Jersey will be styled a bit like the T shirt. Not sure if that means all NBA or just Rockets. Or if other retailers will abide by this...

Back
Top Bottom