Houston Texans Thread 2018 Vol. Destroy & Rebuild - Preseason

feel for you bros, Watson was off to a hell of a start. |l

Mcgloin is only good in preseason games

^McGloin sucks smh

The Houston Texans were not done with adding to their quarterback room after signing free agent Matt McGloin. The Texans will also sign free agent quarterback T.J. Yates to give the offense a familiar face to Bill O’Brien and the organization.

The story of Yates is well known around the Houston area with the veteran quarterback being a draft pick of the Texans in 2011. Yates is now entering his 3rd stint with the Texans after spending time with Atlanta and Buffalo.

For his career, Yates has thrown for 1,534 yards with 6 touchdowns and 8 interceptions and also has come up with some of the biggest wins in franchise history especially leading the Texans to their 1st ever playoff win in 2011 over the Cincinnati Bengals as a rookie. - SCOUT

Tom Savage, Matt McGloin, and TJ Yates. This is a complete joke.

What a disgusting loss. It's 100% official Savage sucks. We can't just blame it on the line, cause there were times he had plenty of time and simply didn't put the ball where it needed to be. I also won't be fooled by how well he played down the stretch either. Those closing moments of the 4th quarter were basically Texans/Colts from SNF last year. Savage just isn't good, and thankfully this experiment ends after this year, but hopefully, it ended today, especially if they want to salvage the rest of this season. They don't have any 1st or 2nd round picks, so there's no incentive to tank. Unfortunately, with the QB play we have currently, this may just be a sorry *** team that finishes with no more than 5 wins and have no picks. The optimist in me says the Texans can scrap by and finish 8-8 or 9-7 with some decent non-Savage QB play, and hope that the Jags and Titans slip and and we catch them. The more realistic part of me says this season ended with Watson's injury, the defense is missing too many parts to overcome the current offenses' inability to make plays, and the Jags and Titans will win just enough game to stay in front of the Texans.

As far as this stand-alone game today, Bill O'Brien, Kareem Jackson, Andre Hal, and Chris Clark all should be ashamed of themselves. BOB had his usual clock management botches down the stretch with that fake comeback. Chris Clark (for some reason) stepped in for Julien Davenport (who had been more than adequate up to that point) and gets bulldozed through allowing Savage to get stripped and fumble. Kareem Jackson missed SO many tackles, including the very costly one leading to TY Hilton's TD, and Hal aided in that TD as well by not touching Hilton down. Those 4 plus Savage are all to blame for this loss. This will be referred to as the off-season thread unless I feel management are actually trying make moves to win games.

Wish they would, but they ain’t signing Kap... McNair is just as bad as JJones, especially after that comment he made

Season is over.

The Houston backup quarterback carousel keeps spinning.

The Texans have released Matt McGloin and signed veteran journeyman Josh Johnson, the team announced. Houston also released defensive end Kendall Langford on Tuesday.

Texans head coach Bill O'Brien has tossed aside his Penn State connection with McGloin in favor of the more mobile Johnson, who spent the preseason with the New York Giants but hasn't thrown a regular-season pass since 2011, when he started one game for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Since then, the 31-year-old Johnson has spent time with the Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, San Francisco 49ers, Indianapolis Colts, Buffalo Bills and Giants. He's also been a practice squad member of the Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets.

Johnson came out on the short end of a preseason battle with Geno Smith to back up Eli Manning in New York. In that four-game tryout, he completed 22 of 34 passes for 239 yards and one touchdown, but was noticeably worse than Smith, resulting in his release on final cut-down day. - NFL . COM

This management is trash, and someone else needs to pry this team from McNair's dirty hands

First Texans game in a long time where I'm going in 100% expecting them to lose, and I don't feel much about it. Management already told the fanbase how they feel by starting Savage again and signing a guy who hasn't been in a live NFL game in years. So my investment just isn't there.

Glad everybody elevated their play to not lay an egg on Andre Johnson Day. It was disrespectful enough to still even start Savage, but at least they won. They're not gonna fool me with this win though as far as Savage going forward. The line still stinks, and he still stinks.

Savage sucks. McNair sucks. Smith sucks. O'Brien sucks without Watson. This line sucks. Vrabel sucks. Will be glad when a chunk of this roster and possibly staff aren't here anymore.

When the Texans decided to shift Ufomba Kamalu from defensive end, the position change made him the biggest outside linebacker in the NFL.
A former undrafted free agent from the University of Miami, Kamalu is listed on the roster at 6-6, 300 pounds.

"That's funny that I'm the biggest," Kamalu said. "I thought I was too big a first, but I had no choice. It's whatever the coaches say. They thought it would be good for me and I ended up breaking out."

Kamalu has made the most of his limited opportunities. In six games and one start this season, he has two sacks and six tackles. As a rookie last year, Kamalu had one sack and two tackles for losses in four games and one start.

He may start or play a significant amount of snaps Sunday against the Tennessee Titans with starter Brennan Scarlett out indefinitely with a foot injury. - CHRON

Return to the Volunteer State for VFL could come with 1st regular-season NFL action

LaTroy Lewis is in position to make his NFL debut.

The Houston Texans signed the 6-foot-3, 255-pound defensive end/outside linebacker to their active roster from their practice squad.

The Texans travel to play the Tennessee Titans in Nashville on Sunday at noon Central. So Lewis could take his first regular-season snap in familiar territory back in the Volunteer State.

Lewis, who's a native of Akron, Ohio, played in four preseason games with the Oakland Raiders, totaling 13 tackles (8 solo) and 3.0 sacks. Many expected that production to secure him a spot on the Raiders' 53-man roster, but it didn't happen.

In college, Lewis played in 44 games for the Tennessee Volunteers, totaling 77 tackles with 12.0 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks.

Savage looks to limit mistakes as Texans host 49ers

HOUSTON (AP) — Tom Savage threw for a career-high 365 yards last week before the Houston Texans were once again done in by one of his turnovers in a loss to the Tennessee Titans.

The latest error left Savage searching for a way to limit his mistakes as the Texans (4-8) prepare to host the San Francisco 49ers (2-10) on Sunday.

"Now I'm being labeled as a fumbler and a turnover machine, which I know I'm not," Savage said.

"It comes down to just executing and doing it and then just proving to yourself you're not a turnover guy."

Savage gained that label by losing seven fumbles and throwing six interceptions in just six starts this season. Ten of those turnovers, including all of his interceptions, have come in the past four games where the Texans have gone 1-3.

While acknowledging that he has to cut down on his turnovers, the Texans are also quick to point out the improvement that he's made in other areas of his game since taking over when Deshaun Watson was injured in November.

"He does a great job of understanding it's about winning and it's about putting the ball in the end zone," quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan said.

"We still didn't get that done. So, for as good as the performance was, as much as it can help him individually ... he realizes that ultimately we didn't get done what we needed to get done, so there's certainly a lot of room for improvement."

While Savage is only filling in for the season as Watson recovers from a knee injury, the 49ers may have found their quarterback of the future in Jimmy Garoppolo.

Acquired before the trade deadline from New England, Garoppolo shined in his first start on Sunday, throwing for 293 yards to help the 49ers to a 15-14 win at Chicago.

San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan was asked if it's too early to get excited about what Garoppolo could do for the team.

"To come in there in that situation and to make some of the plays that he did, when he is in that situation, definitely excites everybody," Shanahan said. "I think everyone knows the potential and the possibilities. It's not that you have to temper, you just have to be realistic. It was one game."

Here are some things to know about the 49ers-Texans game.

STAYING FRESH: The 49ers defense got a needed break last week in the win over Chicago. San Francisco came into the game having faced the second-most plays in the league with 761.

But the defense was on the field for only 36 plays last week, the fewest for any team in a game this season. Much of the credit goes to the offense, which converted 10 of 18 third downs and was on the field for 38:47.

"It got us a lot of rest," defensive lineman DeForest Buckner said. "We almost felt like we were spectators at the game just watching and stuff. It was very motivating to see the offense drive the length of the field to give the defense the rest we need to perform at a high level."

INJURIES PILE UP: Houston's already long list of injuries got even longer when several more players were injured against the Titans.

Receiver Bruce Ellington sustained a season-ending hamstring injury and tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz also went on the injured reserve after receiving his third concussion of the season. The Texans are also likely to be without Braxton Miller on Sunday after he also sustained a concussion in last week's game.

Those injuries have left Houston thin at receiver and tight end, but the group could get a boost against the 49ers if Will Fuller can return. Fuller, who returned to practice this week after missing three games with a rib injury, is second on the team with seven touchdown receptions.

TOP TARGET: Speedster Marquise Goodwin is developing into San Francisco's top receiver after Pierre Garcon went down with a season-ending neck injury.

Goodwin has been able to use his blazing speed to create cushions by the defense that have allowed him to catch more short and intermediate routes instead of just deep throws.

Goodwin already has career highs with 35 catches for 677 yards. He set a personal best last week with eight catches against the Bears.

"He scares people with his speed," Garoppolo said. "No doubt about it. The guy's a legit, I don't know what his 100 is but it's fast. It takes the top off defenses and makes them think about that. It allows him to run some different types of routes. But, he's an all-around good receiver for us."

CLOWNEY'S CONTRIBUTIONS: Defensive end Jadeveon Clowney has led the Texans this season with J.J. Watt and Whitney Mercilus out with injuries. The top overall pick in the 2014 draft has a career-high nine sacks and his 18 tackles for losses are also the most in his career and rank second in the NFL.

"I hadn't seen him on tape for a while and just watching him Monday ... it wasn't very fun to watch him, to tell you the truth," Shanahan said. "You get excited hearing that J.J.'s not in there, which thank goodness he's not, but Clowney is, I think he's really come through and he's lived up to the expectations that everybody's wanted him to. - USA TODAY

Yea whatever you bum

Simone Biles is just days away from making her debut as a Houston Texans cheerleader -- and TMZ Sports has the first shots of the Team USA star in action!

Here's the deal ... a couple weeks ago, Simone (an H-town native) tweeted outta the blue -- "honestly how fun would it be to be an NFL cheerleader?"

The Texans cheer squad immediately stepped up -- offering her a spot as their very first "honorary" cheerleader.

The two sides hooked up -- and Biles will make her NFL debut on Sunday when the Texans play the 49ers in Houston.

1208-simone-biles-practice-texans-cheerleaders-4.jpg

Figured I'd come in here exactly a month after this disastrous season ended.

The Houston Texans have a new man in charge -- and it is one with significant New Jersey ties.

Former Don Bosco Prep standout Brian Gaine, a Class of 1991 product, is reportedly set to be named the next general manager of the Texans, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Gaine's hiring comes shortly after Rick Smith, the team's GM since 2006, took a leave of absence last week due to his wife's battle with cancer.

Gaine's familiarity with Houston helped him land the job after spending 2014-16 with the team as the director of player personnel, in charge of supervising all pro player evaluations, scouting processes and transactional movement across the league.

Gaine is finally getting his shot at running an NFL franchise after his eighth interview for an opening. He interviewed for the same position with the Rams (2012), Jets (2013), Dolphins (2014), Eagles (2015), Bears (2015), Bills (2017) and 49ers (2017) prior to landing the gig with the Texans.

Gaine worked under Bill Parcells with the Dallas Cowboys as the Assistant Director of Pro Scouting in 2005-07 and inside the scouting department with the Jets when Parcells was head coach in 1999 and GM in 2000.

After graduating from Maine in 1995, where he played for then-coach Kirk Ferentz, Gaine has worked in the NFL for the past 18 years, beginning in the Jets' scouting department in 1999. He held scouting and personnel positions with the Bills, Cowboys, Jets and Dolphins and, most recently, served as the Bills' vice president of player personnel in 2017 after being hired away from the Texans in May of last year.

Gaine, a star tight end, was a member of Don Bosco's state championship team in 1990 his senior year. It was the program's last state title until the Ironmen's run of dominance began in the early 2000s under coach Greg Toal.

Gaine will now take over a team that finished 4-12 last season, largely due to season-ending injuries to the team's stars on both sides of the ball: QB Deshaun Watson and DE J.J. Watt. Former Bergen Catholic star LB Brian Cushing was also suspended 10 games for a PED violation.

Gaine will be without the team's first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft after the Texans traded it to the Cleveland Browns to move up last spring to select Watson with the 12th overall selection. The Browns will select fourth overall in place of the Texans.

Back
Top Bottom