How Formal (or bohemian) is your job?

My boss was supposed to do a review with me. I told him I didn’t want to and then he said me either. See you in the spring. 👋👋

It’s nice when you can just do your thing.
My boss did this too for 2 years on purpose to avoid giving me a raise. I had to force his hand and he took vacation while we were in the process of shutting down for Covid stay at home. Straight coward.

Work for an international law firm. Business casual but full business when meeting with clients. I don't hug coworkers and don't want them touching me. Very political environment so I stay in my lane. I can turn on my libbie when talking to the young hires but get my MAGA on with Senior Partners. Most of my work on NT is practice for what I say at work. Longest time one of my partners thought I voted for Alan Keyes.

Last edited:
My boss did this too for 2 years on purpose to avoid giving me a raise. I had to force his hand and he took vacation while we were in the process of shutting down for Covid stay at home. Straight coward.

i’d back that mf’er into a corner until he gave me a raise.

my reviews are all bs, I’m union so it doesn’t matter I get a raise when they negotiate a new contract. It’s just the office people being nosey.

my boss knows when I have beef I walk right into his office and tell him and if I’m happy he won’t hear from or see me :lol:

Reactions: ace
Banker checking in. Formal in the culture sense, but dress code isn't too bad. Collar shirt and dress pants is a must. I see some more senior folks wear sneakers sometimes but I always rock the loafers personally.

Last edited:
I work in IT. When our office was open the dress code was very casual. T-shirts and jeans were fine.

I work in IT (eCommerce) in Japan.
Dress code is pretty free for everyone in my section/division. sales and higher ups usually in semi-business/suits.
Environment is pretty good, everything by the book. Free breakfast/lunch/dinner. Afterwork club activities, etc.
Only downside is the work-from-home issue which a lot of IT companies are offering, but our company decided to not offer it to us.

About as informal as it can get. I’m an IT support and web administrator for a company that organizes a kind of group therapy sessions for adult students. Legally we can’t call it therapy though, we use the term ‘talking sessions.’

I can wear whatever I want and there’s a policy of complete openness. If someone shows up to a meeting high on coke (which has happened), that’s fine too as long as you’re willing to admit it and allow the others to try to help.

I was initially a volunteer, as are most of our current employees, but now have a paid position.

The work atmosphere is like a utopia tbh, everyone gets along really well and a lot of us frequently associate outside of work. The ratio of male to female employees is very skewed though, aside from myself there’s only a handful of other guys compared to about 2 dozen women.

Last edited:
At my latest job we come in at 8AM, do 45 mins of work then convene in the break room for a meeting. We go around in a circle and everyone explains what tasks they are handling and we also have an "icebreaker" question of the day. Some of them are pretty goofy like, would you rather be a firefly or a butterfly, but some elicit interesting responses like What's legal that should be illegal which is also good cause it might lengthen the meeting another 10-15 minutes.

Whenever people have a birthday, they put balloons to the ceiling, decorate the person's locker and cater in their Favorite food (when we get hired they have us fill out a questionnaire of our fav stuff) . Usually the food coincides with our lunch break (which gets extended another half hour) but one morning for this old dude we had Biscuits and Gravy brought I'm from Waffle House. Also once or twice a month they'll order a Pizza for the hell of it.

The annoying thing is it's kind of a kum-bye-yah environment for hipster type people. Our boss had a life changing epiphany when he read this book called "Love Languages" that explains you can't just express gratitude verbally you have to express it physically and other forms. So when we clock out on Friday we go around in a circle hugging each co-worker and give them a compliment on a good deed they did that particular week. Most the dudes just do a light chest bump and pat each other on the back, but with the office ladies we do traditional hugs for like five seconds. Our staff is only 15 people total...and on any given day we average 12 cause of them using vacation, PTO etc. The people with the most seniority get like 3-4 weeKs vacation and accrue like .05 PTO per hour worked.

We recently had a dude retire after 35 years...I dont see myself following his footsteps (he seemed kind of lost and didn't know what he was gonna do with all this free time) but want to see where it leads. What is the atmosphere at you guys workplace?

B68CFE65-317D-4B11-8B17-2995F55D41BC.gif

Cole Haan w/ jeans or chino’s and a polo shirt/ sweater/ t-shirt tends to be the standard for me.
AC6555B4-9964-428F-9641-95F383AFA6E6.jpeg

03D8EA32-6022-4A52-A52D-4754C87DAC26.jpeg

Reactions: ace
I work in IT (eCommerce) in Japan.
Dress code is pretty free for everyone in my section/division. sales and higher ups usually in semi-business/suits.
Environment is pretty good, everything by the book. Free breakfast/lunch/dinner. Afterwork club activities, etc.
Only downside is the work-from-home issue which a lot of IT companies are offering, but our company decided to not offer it to us.

How did you land that job?

Are you Japanese? Born in the US?

Had no clue.

I come in Peace.

i work at a children's hospital that's actually really chill and feels like a family environment. love my hospital and i have really good management. been here for 6 years i am not micro managed at all. its great. i take care of my own **** and they leave me be.

but these last 2 years have been hell because all of you stupid google geniuses who think they are too smart for masks and vaccines.
always some idiot who thinks they somehow know more than the people who work here everyday for a living. then they end up here with their kids and they all have covid and act like little *****es. they weren't sure about the vaccine because they heard on facebook that it wasn't safe.
i actually recently had a parent tell me that all vaccines they have a serial number starting with 1 was cancer they were injecting in to people because of population control.

Last edited:
Supply chain analyst in an office at a manufacturing plant.

since covid started we no longer have to wear Shirt + slacks , so I just wear a hoodie/tshirt , jeans and chucks every day .

it’s like maybe 15 of us , I only talk to maybe 5 on average , we never really leave our offices lol. Everybody is decent / cool but I am the only black person here and the youngest , they can get kind of judgmental if I like wear some “cool” shoes Or something (comments like “oh wow those must be a few hundred dollars, I’ve seen lebron wearing those”

first day of the year we get 120 hours pto , don’t have to worry about accruing week by week which is amazing .

i listen to podcast / music for 8 hours , never need overtime and I’d say I work probably 3-4 full hours a day , if that . Rest of the day I’m on my phone or internet.

i have it good but it’s boring and ready to move on

ICU I work in used to be a decent enough environment, but morale has been on the decline since COVID and is currently at an all-time low.

Management is now expecting us to do more with less while putting us in more compromising positions with no added compensation. My manager in particular has almost gone out of her way to be an ******* since the dust started settling after NY's 2 waves of COVID. She's started telling our assistant managers that they help too much and that floor nurses "need to start doing more" despite the fact that we're usually short a nurse every day and sometimes don't even have nursing assistants anymore, whereas we used to have at least 3 on the unit at all times previously. People have been quitting in droves since the spring and it seems like our leadership is just acting salty about it instead of trying to address the reasons why so many people don't want to work there anymore. I find that I'm usually not able to take a break and working a lot of days with minimal food, water, or bathroom breaks. We're told that the solution to this problem is "take a break anyways, especially if you're swamped" which is the absolute worst way to go about it considering that not only would put me even further behind, but it would piss off patients waiting for things from me and shift the responsibility to whoever covers for me who is in a similar position, leading to more resentment and things being backed up even further. Plus I'm not looking to stay an hour late to finish up my charting. 13 hours is enough as is.

I have the next 2 weeks off to burn down vacation time that I wasn't able to use during the year. I will be using this time to look for opportunities elsewhere.

At my latest job we come in at 8AM, do 45 mins of work then convene in the break room for a meeting. We go around in a circle and everyone explains what tasks they are handling and we also have an "icebreaker" question of the day. Some of them are pretty goofy like, would you rather be a firefly or a butterfly, but some elicit interesting responses like What's legal that should be illegal which is also good cause it might lengthen the meeting another 10-15 minutes.

Whenever people have a birthday, they put balloons to the ceiling, decorate the person's locker and cater in their Favorite food (when we get hired they have us fill out a questionnaire of our fav stuff) . Usually the food coincides with our lunch break (which gets extended another half hour) but one morning for this old dude we had Biscuits and Gravy brought I'm from Waffle House. Also once or twice a month they'll order a Pizza for the hell of it.

The annoying thing is it's kind of a kum-bye-yah environment for hipster type people. Our boss had a life changing epiphany when he read this book called "Love Languages" that explains you can't just express gratitude verbally you have to express it physically and other forms. So when we clock out on Friday we go around in a circle hugging each co-worker and give them a compliment on a good deed they did that particular week. Most the dudes just do a light chest bump and pat each other on the back, but with the office ladies we do traditional hugs for like five seconds. Our staff is only 15 people total...and on any given day we average 12 cause of them using vacation, PTO etc. The people with the most seniority get like 3-4 weeKs vacation and accrue like .05 PTO per hour worked.

We recently had a dude retire after 35 years...I dont see myself following his footsteps (he seemed kind of lost and didn't know what he was gonna do with all this free time) but want to see where it leads. What is the atmosphere at you guys workplace?
What a hell hole huh?

I’m in LE, nothing much to say there. I really don’t like a lot of my coworkers, very political, horrible morale, terrible management, and people just simply don’t care there. Also, it’s a hostile working environment. Pays very well, but it’s not worth it anymore. I’m trying my hardest to leave and go into the Feds now. And I’m willing to take a paycut for the better quality of life. I sort of want a “normal” life again.

ICU I work in used to be a decent enough environment, but morale has been on the decline since COVID and is currently at an all-time low.

Management is now expecting us to do more with less while putting us in more compromising positions with no added compensation. My manager in particular has almost gone out of her way to be an ******* since the dust started settling after NY's 2 waves of COVID. She's started telling our assistant managers that they help too much and that floor nurses "need to start doing more" despite the fact that we're usually short a nurse every day and sometimes don't even have nursing assistants anymore, whereas we used to have at least 3 on the unit at all times previously. People have been quitting in droves since the spring and it seems like our leadership is just acting salty about it instead of trying to address the reasons why so many people don't want to work there anymore. I find that I'm usually not able to take a break and working a lot of days with minimal food, water, or bathroom breaks. We're told that the solution to this problem is "take a break anyways, especially if you're swamped" which is the absolute worst way to go about it considering that not only would put me even further behind, but it would piss off patients waiting for things from me and shift the responsibility to whoever covers for me who is in a similar position, leading to more resentment and things being backed up even further. Plus I'm not looking to stay an hour late to finish up my charting. 13 hours is enough as is.

I have the next 2 weeks off to burn down vacation time that I wasn't able to use during the year. I will be using this time to look for opportunities elsewhere.

I don't envy anyone who works in the ICU. The ICU docs sometime try to discuss a case with me in person and I politely remind them they can call. My pager, office line, and cell phone are all listed. I don't need to be unnecessarily exposed to germs.

Out of the two extremes i'd definitely prefer the kumbaya, fake "we're a family" **** to the arrogant maga ****. I swear old white people address the world like it only includes old white people. Ideally it's somewhere in between, stoic, leave me the **** alone and let me do my **** for the most part but wouldn't mind some good events every now and then. I don't want to feel pressured into participating in your dance lip sync thing, but when there's natural fun to be had i'm in. Or get blacklisted for not agreeing with your political views.

The benefit of working for a large medical group is I don't have to be friends with everyone. I have my one or two colleagues I'll occasionally hang out with or go to the gym. No pressure to be social.

I am a real estate construction project manager. Before the pandemic it was business casual. collard shirt with khakis or slacks was the dress code.

I have been working from home since the pandemic hit and dress code has been collard shirt with shorts or sweat pants for zoom meetings :lol:

I go to job sites once or twice a week but otherwise I am at home. I used to go into the office 2-3 times a week before the pandemic but I would always leave around 2pm to beat the traffic.

I do not hang with any of my coworkers outside of work. I have no reason to.

Back
Top Bottom