How much $$$ do you guys save a month?

im a saver by nature i like to see things stack and multiply and just grow... gettin my college degree in two terms, and im looking to put a down payment on a home by the end of 2012.

Back when I had a job, I saved 100% of it. No lie, every time I got a paycheck I'd go to the ATM, throw it into my savings account and never withdraw it, for the entire duration of my employment (about a year, minus a couple months). I didn't put it into my checking account because that meant I could've used my ATM card places and use money, I basically left it there untouched.

Looking back, it was a dumb move, I made like 0.05% interest and I should have invested it.

Turning 26 this year and debt free other than my mortgage.

I used to work in sales and the commission helped me save up for the down payment to my house, paid off my car, paid off student loans and everything else.

Still saving about $500 - $1000 depending on what I want to do that month.

I'm really focusing on traveling right now so I can't save as much as I want to.

I'd rather enjoy my money now while I'm still young than when I retire.

Originally Posted by 2SeatPort

I'm fortunate enough to have a job where I can live  comfortably off of one of my two paychecks a month, so I'm saving ~ $2000 a month ...I have a well-paying job but my whole first year of savings is going into student loans, including the midyear bonus i just got 
ohwell.gif
.  My girl says that I can be cheap sometimes
laugh.gif
but in the sense that I don't ever buy new clothes and such for myself, even if I'll still pay for her meals/tickets.  She got mad cause I went to look at Sperrys, saw that they were cose to $100 and instead got some GBX shoes from sears to wear to work instead
laugh.gif
.  Oh well, my goal is to be debt-free by 25.  Unless there's an easily liquidable investment that returns 5% or better, I just wanna get rid of my student debt asap...

Anyone have any tips on stacking? My tip is to set a hard budget and save half of any unexpected money you come across- but the rest is for your to spend on anything you want.  That way you're still able to enjoy yourself-guilt free when some $$ comes your way while still saving more than you think you are.

What do you need advice on? #humblebragGood job though. I'm the same way.

Before I ramp up to buy an investment, I can save anywhere from 2k to 3k a month.

Right now, to start a business, I save 2k a month.

10% off the top into my 401k.

Of the remainder:
40% into my savings invested in bonds quarterly
60% into checking to cover expenses and entertainment

Debt free. ING takes out 100 a week, an extra 50 bi weekly and I have 20% of my check going to my IRA.. I still buy lavish items, eat out and live life. I act as if my ING doesn't exist. Been doing that same saving method since 18. I don't even notice the money going out and the account is looking pretty nice.

Originally Posted by Mr 100

Debt free. ING takes out 100 a week, an extra 50 bi weekly and I have 20% of my check going to my IRA.. I still buy lavish items, eat out and live life. I act as if my ING doesn't exist. Been doing that same saving method since 18. I don't even notice the money going out and the account is looking pretty nice.
If you dont mind me asking how old are you and how much is in your account? I'm 26 and I feel like I'm SUPER behind in building a savings.
frown.gif
I guess I want to get some inspiration.

The 10% method doesn't apply anymore. It used to when the purchasing power relative to the median wage was relatively high but it's absurdly low now.

save most of my paycheck now dont make much though. however, i got to a UC and am already like 40k in debt from 2 years its expensive as hell

Originally Posted by trunks206

If you dont mind me asking how old are you and how much is in your account? I'm 26 and I feel like I'm SUPER behind in building a savings.
frown.gif

This can vary wildly. What age did you start working? What have been your cumulative after tax earnings thus far? Kids? Married? What do your fixed costs look like? 

I'd say that if you started at 21, single with no kids, reasonable college debt load, and have earned within 15% of median (which is around 40k) or above, one should have at least 35-40k easily now. That's on the low side as well. 

There's just too many factors.  Most people get done in by their college debt load. 

Originally Posted by scshift

Back when I had a job, I saved 100% of it. No lie, every time I got a paycheck I'd go to the ATM, throw it into my savings account and never withdraw it, for the entire duration of my employment (about a year, minus a couple months). I didn't put it into my checking account because that meant I could've used my ATM card places and use money, I basically left it there untouched.

Looking back, it was a dumb move, I made like 0.05% interest and I should have invested it.
homie, aren't you like 16 or 17? Not that it matters (I'm 16) But you seem so damn smart
laugh.gif

you gonna be a billionaire.

F saving, im not even joking either.

saving 20% blah blah of paycheck isnt the way to financial freedom anyways unless youre cakin anyways an even if you are caking, cost of living an uncle sam.............dependin on how you live. goodbye

"income property"

generate guaranteed monthly income, imagine matching your currently salary thats the goal to start with..............ive met regular ppl who in a couple years are now millionaires, so far along with my mother she is my partner we have a property in buffalo ny an birmingham alabama

im already goin on my second trip to vegas in september, an i dont believe i even had a vay cay last year.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by trunks206

frown.gif

This can vary wildly. What age did you start working? What have been your cumulative after tax earnings thus far? Kids? Married? What do your fixed costs look like? 

I'd say that if you started at 21, single with no kids, reasonable college debt load, and have earned within 15% of median (which is around 40k) or above, one should have at least 35-40k easily now. That's on the low side as well. 

There's just too many factors.  Most people get done in by their college debt load. 

26 still in school and paying for the whole thing. (no debt) Ive taken time off of school to make enough to pay for tuition so I'm still like a year away from getting my degree. So I have next to no money each quarter. It sucks.
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom