how to tie your shoes vol yall doing it wrong :lol

Originally Posted by HOOSIERdaddy282

I never realized I was on shoe forum until right now.
laugh.gif

roll.gif

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

I dont tie my shoes either way like that...

Same here. I make two loops and tie them together instead of making one loop and pulling the other string through. 
Also double knot for the win. 

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

I dont tie my shoes either way like that...

Same here. I make two loops and tie them together instead of making one loop and pulling the other string through. 
Also double knot for the win. 

you guys don't get it

the way he's doing it (one bunny ear) is the same way yall are doing it.

if your bunny ears end up vertical on your shoes, do this

[table][tr][td][size=+3]What Causes a "Granny Knot"?[/size][/td][/tr][tr][td]
OverhandKnotA.gif

BalancedKnot.gif

[size=-1]Right way results in a balanced knot[/size][/td] [td]Shoelace knots are usually tied in two stages: Starting Knot followed by Finishing Bow. Each of these stages "twists" the shoelaces slightly, so it's important that the two stages betied in opposite directions in order to cancel out each other's twists.

This balances the knot both visually (the bow sits straight) and functionally (the knot stays securely tied).[/td][/tr][tr][td]
UnBalancedKnot.gif

[size=-1]Wrong way results in a "Granny Knot"[/size][/td] [td]If both stages are tied in the same direction, those twists compound each other, resulting in an un-balanced knot that sits crooked andcomes undone more easily. This is commonly known as a "Granny Knot" (or "Slip Knot").[/td][/tr][tr][td]While there's only a subtle difference in tying technique, there's a big difference in security. This is notsimply an "Old Wives Tale"; it's based on millennia of established knowledge. In fact, there's even a poem taughtin Scouting, which goes something like:
Right over left, left over right,
Makes a knot both tidy and tight.
The difference is due to the adjacent contact points within the finished knot. In the balanced shoelace knot,tension on the bottom part of the knot (due to foot movement) will actually pull the adjacent top part of theknot tight. In the un-balanced "Granny Knot", the adjacent contact points run in opposite directions, so thesame tension on the bottom part of the knot will actually work the adjacent top part of the knot loose.[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td][size=+3]Spotting a "Granny Knot"[/size][/td][/tr][tr][td][size=+1]Balanced Shoelace Knot[/size][/td] [td][size=+1]Un-balanced "Granny Knot"[/size][/td][/tr][tr][td]
BalancedKnot.jpg

A properly tied shoelace bow should sit sideways across the shoe.[/td] [td]
UnBalancedKnot.jpg

A wrongly tied shoelace bow invariably twists to point "heel-to-toe".[/td][/tr][tr][td]This rule doesn't just apply to shoelaces; crooked bows due to "Granny Knots" also happen on dresses, aprons, hairribbons, wedding invitations, even bow ties, all of which use the same configuration as a Standard Shoelace Knot.

Try tying your shoelace, then shake your shoe a bit and look at how your bow sits. If it's sitting
crooked, I'd betthat your shoelaces are always coming undone![/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td][size=+3]Fixing an Un-balanced "Granny Knot"[/size][/td][/tr][tr][td]Okay, so you've just realised that you've wasted your whole life tying and re-tying what turns out to be a "GrannyKnot". Don't panic, the solution is as easy as the problem!
Simply reverse your Starting Knot!
[table][tr][td][size=+1]Left-over-Right starting knot[/size]
OverhandKnotA.gif
[/td] [td][size=+3]<=>[/size][/td] [td][size=+1]Right-over-Left starting knot[/size]
OverhandKnotB.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]In other words, if you currently tie your starting knot: "Left end over Right end & through", simply change it to:"Right end over Left end & through", or vice versa.

From the above table of variations, if your method is in the right side (red) of the table, the adjacent method in the left side (green) of the table corresponds to the identical method with a reversed starting knot.

You could also choose any of the variations from the left side (green) of the table, such as running around the back instead of around the front or vice versa, or changingleft-handed movements to right-handed movements or vice versa. However, most people will find it easier to re-learnthe starting knot than to re-learn the finishing bow.[/td][/tr][/table]

I can't even count how many times I've seen those crooked bows in the wdywt.
laugh.gif
Although, the number of untied laces is
30t6p3b.gif

you guys don't get it

the way he's doing it (one bunny ear) is the same way yall are doing it.

if your bunny ears end up vertical on your shoes, do this

[table][tr][td][size=+3]What Causes a "Granny Knot"?[/size][/td][/tr][tr][td]
OverhandKnotA.gif

BalancedKnot.gif

[size=-1]Right way results in a balanced knot[/size][/td] [td]Shoelace knots are usually tied in two stages: Starting Knot followed by Finishing Bow. Each of these stages "twists" the shoelaces slightly, so it's important that the two stages betied in opposite directions in order to cancel out each other's twists.

This balances the knot both visually (the bow sits straight) and functionally (the knot stays securely tied).[/td][/tr][tr][td]
UnBalancedKnot.gif

[size=-1]Wrong way results in a "Granny Knot"[/size][/td] [td]If both stages are tied in the same direction, those twists compound each other, resulting in an un-balanced knot that sits crooked andcomes undone more easily. This is commonly known as a "Granny Knot" (or "Slip Knot").[/td][/tr][tr][td]While there's only a subtle difference in tying technique, there's a big difference in security. This is notsimply an "Old Wives Tale"; it's based on millennia of established knowledge. In fact, there's even a poem taughtin Scouting, which goes something like:
Right over left, left over right,
Makes a knot both tidy and tight.
The difference is due to the adjacent contact points within the finished knot. In the balanced shoelace knot,tension on the bottom part of the knot (due to foot movement) will actually pull the adjacent top part of theknot tight. In the un-balanced "Granny Knot", the adjacent contact points run in opposite directions, so thesame tension on the bottom part of the knot will actually work the adjacent top part of the knot loose.[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td][size=+3]Spotting a "Granny Knot"[/size][/td][/tr][tr][td][size=+1]Balanced Shoelace Knot[/size][/td] [td][size=+1]Un-balanced "Granny Knot"[/size][/td][/tr][tr][td]
BalancedKnot.jpg

A properly tied shoelace bow should sit sideways across the shoe.[/td] [td]
UnBalancedKnot.jpg

A wrongly tied shoelace bow invariably twists to point "heel-to-toe".[/td][/tr][tr][td]This rule doesn't just apply to shoelaces; crooked bows due to "Granny Knots" also happen on dresses, aprons, hairribbons, wedding invitations, even bow ties, all of which use the same configuration as a Standard Shoelace Knot.

Try tying your shoelace, then shake your shoe a bit and look at how your bow sits. If it's sitting
crooked, I'd betthat your shoelaces are always coming undone![/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td][size=+3]Fixing an Un-balanced "Granny Knot"[/size][/td][/tr][tr][td]Okay, so you've just realised that you've wasted your whole life tying and re-tying what turns out to be a "GrannyKnot". Don't panic, the solution is as easy as the problem!
Simply reverse your Starting Knot!
[table][tr][td][size=+1]Left-over-Right starting knot[/size]
OverhandKnotA.gif
[/td] [td][size=+3]<=>[/size][/td] [td][size=+1]Right-over-Left starting knot[/size]
OverhandKnotB.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]​
[/td][/tr][tr][td]In other words, if you currently tie your starting knot: "Left end over Right end & through", simply change it to:"Right end over Left end & through", or vice versa.

From the above table of variations, if your method is in the right side (red) of the table, the adjacent method in the left side (green) of the table corresponds to the identical method with a reversed starting knot.

You could also choose any of the variations from the left side (green) of the table, such as running around the back instead of around the front or vice versa, or changingleft-handed movements to right-handed movements or vice versa. However, most people will find it easier to re-learnthe starting knot than to re-learn the finishing bow.[/td][/tr][/table]

I can't even count how many times I've seen those crooked bows in the wdywt.
laugh.gif
Although, the number of untied laces is
30t6p3b.gif

Mind = blown.
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Been doing it wrong ever since. No wonder they keep coming undone. Been doubling the knot (slip x bunny ears combo) to prevent it from loosening up, but it looks fugly.
30t6p3b.gif
Trying this out later.

Mind = blown.
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Been doing it wrong ever since. No wonder they keep coming undone. Been doubling the knot (slip x bunny ears combo) to prevent it from loosening up, but it looks fugly.
30t6p3b.gif
Trying this out later.

Back
Top Bottom