If you had to play 1 on 1 with an NBA "guard", who would you pick to play?

Originally Posted by kidoopz

Yeah I gotta agree with some dudes on here as well.. There are JUCO Players, D1 players, HS dudes, and International players I've played against.. Meh some of em were enh some of em were sick. Some tore me up. Vice versa sometimes.. It happens.. Also, 1 on 1 is not 5 on 5 though. So you never know..
ohwell.gif
.. If your relatively quick or explosive then you can put up buckets at least. I remember Gerald Green gettin ran by dudes at UofH so who knows lol..
What I'm trying to say is, if i'm getting worked by people that haven't or are not going to make it into the league, then my chances are definitely slim taking it to a professional athlete.

Oh.. and I've also played against a few Former Pros.. Dude, the disparity of strength between regular ballers and Pro ballers don't even COMPARE! When someone now says NBA strength, I know what they are talking about to some extent lol.
As small as DJ Augustin may look, I know that dude has strength, b/c they are constantly hitting the weights, training and etc. It's their LIFE. You are getting Worked by any Guard Point blank period.
No i won't, you just sucks at bball or just a short scrawny dude if u get work by DJ augustin. Let say if someone is 6'5, has good ball IQ ,has decent handle and good at shooting. You would think he'd lose to dude like DJ Augustin ?
laugh.gif
smh. Don't understand why people think NBA players are god like. There are plenty of good players out there . They're just not fortunate enough nor didn't focus hard enough to make it to the pro

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

You could post up and jump hook on JJ Barea all day. Whether or not you can stop him is an argument, but if you have even a menial amount of game and size, nothing T Rex is doing about that. Just bully post up with your shoulder in his chest and throw jump hooks and finger rolls with the opposite hand
He'd push you out of jump-hook range with his body. Maybe if you're very strong and very big, but if you really think you'd work him with "even a menial amount of game and size", you're crazy. 
indifferent.gif
dude you sucks at bball if you have no confident in believing that you could beat JJ Barea
laugh.gif
.  He'd push me out of the jump hook range ? smh That's where my speed and lateral quickness come in. I'd go around him and find another post up spot. Also my shot is deadly if im open. I'd shoot over this ****** if he doesn't foul me (no ref). JJ Barea is 5'9 on a good day. If someone is around 6'3 , 6'4 , has good ball IQ and good at shooting man he'd would give dude like Barea a hard time.

Originally Posted by KenJi714

You could post up and jump hook on JJ Barea all day. Whether or not you can stop him is an argument, but if you have even a menial amount of game and size, nothing T Rex is doing about that. Just bully post up with your shoulder in his chest and throw jump hooks and finger rolls with the opposite hand
He'd push you out of jump-hook range with his body. Maybe if you're very strong and very big, but if you really think you'd work him with "even a menial amount of game and size", you're crazy. 
indifferent.gif
dude you sucks at bball if you have no confident in believing that you could beat JJ Barea
laugh.gif
.  He'd push me out of the jump hook range ? smh That's where my speed and lateral quickness come in. I'd go around him and find another post up spot. Also my shot is deadly if im open. I'd shoot over this ****** if he doesn't foul me (no ref). JJ Barea is 5'9 on a good day. If someone is around 6'3 , 6'4 , has good ball IQ and good at shooting man he'd would give dude like Barea a hard time.
Yeah, I "sucks at bball" because I realize that NBA players are on a whole different stratosphere as far as skill/strength/speed is concerned. It's pointless to argue the point though. You see these dudes on TV, playing against other world-class basketball players, and you think you could work them. Barrea would be in your grill the whole time if he was playing hard. You might be able to throw up some shots over him, but you're not gonna have the time to square up against him. And he'd murder you on offense, you would have no chance of stopping him. But carry on thinking you'd hang with DJ Augustin and Barrea because you're "6'3 with a good ball IQ and a good shot". 

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You're saying you're that guy?  You're probably one of those guys who rides pine in a d2 or d3 college, thinking that you're better than the guy who's starting over you. 

If you're not even on a team....   
alien.gif
  than you shouldn't be talking at allll. 

Takin about taking Barea.  Chances are the best player from wherever you're from wouldn't be able to ride pine in Northeastern lol.

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
Yeah, I "sucks at bball" because I realize that NBA players are on a whole different stratosphere as far as skill/strength/speed is concerned. It's pointless to argue the point though. You see these dudes on TV, playing against other world-class basketball players, and you think you could work them. Barrea would be in your grill the whole time if he was playing hard. You might be able to throw up some shots over him, but you're not gonna have the time to square up against him. And he'd murder you on offense, you would have no chance of stopping him. But carry on thinking you'd hang with DJ Augustin and Barrea because you're "6'3 with a good ball IQ and a good shot". 
no offense but i could tell you have zero basketball skills/IQ. If you're 6'3, 6'4 you actually don't even need to square up to shoot over someone who's 5'10 like Barea , providing that you need to have at least some game and some lateral quickness. If you're fat, slow, weak, short or simply sucks then of course you would be less likely to score anything. He play hard D on me ? lol so easy I just get fouls. And no chance of stopping him on offense ? lol . Please. But im done though.

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
no offense but i could tell you have zero basketball skills/IQ. If you're 6'3, 6'4 you actually don't even need to square up to shoot over someone who's 5'10 like Barea , providing that you need to have at least some game and some lateral quickness. If you're fat, slow, weak, short or simply sucks then of course you would be less likely to score anything. He play hard D on me ? lol so easy I just get fouls. And no chance of stopping him on offense ? lol . Please. But im done though.
you sucks at bball

Originally Posted by Buc Em

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
you sucks at bball
laugh.gif
.. Your staying in front of Barea and Augustin with ease eh?? The same Barea that torched the USA Team and Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo and others before even in the league.  And you expect to stay in front of him and lock him up now that he has NBA years of experience.  Your kidding yourself.  Unless you yourself are playing professionally and doing this for a living.  Even those that do play professionally still have trouble guarding Barea so I definitely can't expect hearsay from a person not in the league or a league.

PS Barea is 6"0
happy.gif

i'd play kobe! i don't care if he kills me! i'd just be happy to meet the guy haha i think fisher or kevin olie is doable haha both are just slow..

Barea is like 5'11, 175 with a 5'8 wingspan, are you serious? You guys are putting the *+*+@ on a pedestal now. You know how easy it is to get a jump hook off, especially over someone shorter than you? Unless you're $@+!$%% Dirk Nowitzki, it's easy as #+$%. Obviously they're great, but they are still not invincible. Yall remind me of those non-athletic dudes at the Dallas Mavs board who don't believe anybody can dunk who isn't in the NBA.

Have played with much better athletes than him, Taj Gray (OU, never signed with a team but was in a few camps), Tony Crocker (OU), Harvey Hale (NM), Chris Alexander (Southern), and they are still human. While they weren't getting bested by outright bums, if you are good enough to have been on a college team, you could get the better of them on occassion. It's not like they can't possibly be scored on, or ripped, or dunked on, or rebounded over, etc.

I should bring a camera to my gym this summer when all our college kids come back. We have quite a few D1s in school right now, couple of whom are getting overseas looks and Josh Young (Drake) has an outside shot at making it on a team via summer league/undrafted pickup.

Barea is like 5'11, 175 with a 5'8 wingspan, are you serious? You guys are putting the *+*+@ on a pedestal now. You know how easy it is to get a jump hook off, especially over someone shorter than you? Unless you're $@+!$%% Dirk Nowitzki, it's easy as #+$%. Obviously they're great, but they are still not invincible. Yall remind me of those non-athletic dudes at the Dallas Mavs board who don't believe anybody can dunk who isn't in the NBA.

Have played with much better athletes than him, Taj Gray (OU, never signed with a team but was in a few camps), Tony Crocker (OU), Harvey Hale (NM), Chris Alexander (Southern), and they are still human. While they weren't getting bested by outright bums, if you are good enough to have been on a college team, you could get the better of them on occassion. It's not like they can't possibly be scored on, or ripped, or dunked on, or rebounded over, etc.

I should bring a camera to my gym this summer when all our college kids come back. We have quite a few D1s in school right now, couple of whom are getting overseas looks and Josh Young (Drake) has an outside shot at making it on a team via summer league/undrafted pickup.
Preach.....there are plenty of people that are not in the league that will body a few pg's in the league. After high school basketball is all about politics, trust me. A lot of shady %@*@, especially overseas. Too much favoritism

Not saying no one in here couldn't beat an nba player, but no matter how garbage you think they are, they would wreck shop in your local Y/ Church league.

nobody has any shot in here to beat an NBA player so stop dreaming...there is a reason why they are in the NBA and we are all on here..

Originally Posted by outkast9984

nobody has any shot in here to beat an NBA player so stop dreaming...there is a reason why they are in the NBA and we are all on here..

are you serious. So say i was 6'10" played college ball but didn't make it to the League. So i got Chris Duhon at my local gym. You really think he can bang with me in the post. And we already got the thread with the worst pg in league going on.
laugh.gif
 Not every pg is that good. 

Originally Posted by kidoopz

Originally Posted by Buc Em

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
you sucks at bball
laugh.gif
.. Your staying in front of Barea and Augustin with ease eh?? The same Barea that torched the USA Team and Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo and others before even in the league.  And you expect to stay in front of him and lock him up now that he has NBA years of experience.  Your kidding yourself.  Unless you yourself are playing professionally and doing this for a living.  Even those that do play professionally still have trouble guarding Barea so I definitely can't expect hearsay from a person not in the league or a league.

PS Barea is 6"0
happy.gif
Being in the league has nothing to do with playing 1 on 1. It's all about how size, your skill and how much ball IQ you have. I swear people on here think NBA players are untouchable. And Barea is not 6'0

man ill play billups. i swear dude is a bum. ill beat on andre miller too lol.

:-l im serious tho

I agree with you to an extent. Only to an extent because I'm only 5'6 and I'm not posting Barea up 
laugh.gif
. He also has a 5'11 wingspan, he's proportioned.

And I don't think DatZNasty is saying the average NTer is gonna beat JJ, but if you have height, ball first, and know how to post him up, you can get a decent of buckets through.

You guys would probably get shut down by a guy like Jeremy Lin
laugh.gif

Size has nothing to do with it.  A guy like JJ Barea may be 5"9 but you gotta consider that he's been playing against bigger guys who are better than any NT player all his life.  He's gunna know how to defend bigger players. 

I have this friend who's 5"6, 140 pounds, played d3.  Not d2.  Not d1.  D3.  Just d3.  And there were so many days where we counted on him to guard the biggest guy on the other team cuz we were just so small in pickups.  And he guarded guys who were 6"2, 6"3, guys who had easily 60-70 pounds on him in the post alll day, and we were still running the courts. 

I asked him one day how he can take the beating, and he was like, "I've been the smallest guy on the court all my life.  Bigger people trying to post me up is nothing new to me." 

Soooooo....if you think about it, JJ Barea will not break a sweat guarding you in the post.  Unless you're like a forward in d1 basketball who couldn't make it into the nba because you were a tweener.  Which I HIGHLY DOUBT ANYONE HERE ON NT FITS THE BILL. 

Where do you live? I'll play your boy, or another teammate from "didn't play nowhere" University with however much money you want to on the line,  just gotta score a bucket against the homie's impregnable 5'6 140 5'8 wingspan d. If he blocks a jump hook, I'll double up and give you 2x 
laugh.gif

If you are 6'0, getting shut out by a 5'6 140 guy, quit basketball. Short of flagrant fouling the #!#+ out of you or you just missing on your own or help defense, that should not happen. They're going to lean, and get low and get both arms into your back which is technically a foul, but still if you can't score on that, shame on you for being bigger for nothing. Which brings up a whole 'nother point about the difference between one guy and the next isn't always just talent, but opportunity and who you know plays a huge role. Your boy Bassy, would not have sniffed the league if not for the Marbury connection, and is why even now he is on the fringe.

Back
Top Bottom