If you had to play 1 on 1 with an NBA "guard", who would you pick to play?

I used to live in NY.  He's from Bklyn. 

My boy actually played Bassy in hs.  There's a reason Bassy made it to the NBA.  He's quick as heeelllll. 

You might be able to give my boy buckets.  If you're who I think you are, from the laguardia thread, you are a big guy.  I still say my boy will win one on one thoough.  I am positive he will be able to make enough stops.

But that's beside the point.  Do you get the point of my original post? 

Yeah I gotta agree with some dudes on here as well.. There are JUCO Players, D1 players, HS dudes, and International players I've played against.. Meh some of em were enh some of em were sick. Some tore me up. Vice versa sometimes.. It happens.. Also, 1 on 1 is not 5 on 5 though. So you never know..
ohwell.gif
.. If your relatively quick or explosive then you can put up buckets at least. I remember Gerald Green gettin ran by dudes at UofH so who knows lol..
What I'm trying to say is, if i'm getting worked by people that haven't or are not going to make it into the league, then my chances are definitely slim taking it to a professional athlete.
Was my original post.
No way did I put anyone on a pedestal, until people started pointing out sizes and stuff saying "He's only 5 blank".  Okay if you have a good 4 or 5 inches on a guy OFCOURSE your going to be scoring buckets.  These guys are not invincible.  The thread should be which guard "Your SIZE" would you pick to play lol..  But, to Kenji thinking it's so simple to stay in front of JJ Barea or DJ Augustin.. Man I don't know lol.  DJ is quick and they say JJ has a deadly first step so I guess it's how u adjust and stuff.  1 on 1 anything can happen I agree.  Sticking it to an NBA player "Your Size" is something that has to be seen haha..

Im kind of in between on this argument
laugh.gif

PS yeah Barea is 5"11 some sites list him at 6"0 enh

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Where do you live? I'll play your boy, or another teammate from "didn't play nowhere" University with however much money you want to on the line,  just gotta score a bucket against the homie's impregnable 5'6 140 5'8 wingspan d. If he blocks a jump hook, I'll double up and give you 2x 
laugh.gif

If you are 6'0, getting shut out by a 5'6 140 guy, quit basketball. Short of flagrant fouling the #!#+ out of you or you just missing on your own or help defense, that should not happen. They're going to lean, and get low and get both arms into your back which is technically a foul, but still if you can't score on that, shame on you for being bigger for nothing. Which brings up a whole 'nother point about the difference between one guy and the next isn't always just talent, but opportunity and who you know plays a huge role. Your boy Bassy, would not have sniffed the league if not for the Marbury connection, and is why even now he is on the fringe.
whattt? the hype for him wasn't just cause of marbury, he was killing back in high school. that was also during the and 1 and iverson/francis era where teams wanted the next flashy new york point guard.
by the way, i beat brian scalabrine 1 on 1 in a game to 3 
laugh.gif
 i know he's not a guard but just thought i'd throw it out there. it was at his basketball camp he was hosting at hoop heaven in new jersey while he was with the nets. at the time he told me the hardest person he ever had to guard was vince carter. he also said he was signing a deal with jordan brand that summer and showed me Michael Jordan's number in his phonebook 
laugh.gif
 dude played dirty as hell every time he played with us too. still got the tim duncan adidas shoes he was ashamed to sign for me and the brian scalabrine basketball camp t-shirt in my closet

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

You could post up and jump hook on JJ Barea all day. Whether or not you can stop him is an argument, but if you have even a menial amount of game and size, nothing T Rex is doing about that. Just bully post up with your shoulder in his chest and throw jump hooks and finger rolls with the opposite hand
He'd push you out of jump-hook range with his body. Maybe if you're very strong and very big, but if you really think you'd work him with "even a menial amount of game and size", you're crazy. 
please. JJ Barea would not push me anywhere. i'm 6'1 190 and strong, i guarantee i would body that dude in the post.

the only reason JJ Barea can play D in the league is because when people blow past him, he has help behind him. in a one-on-one game, there is nothing he could do to stop taller players from shooting over him. if my shot is somewhat on, i could definitely score on him. and i'm pretty sure i would get a good amount of rebounds against him also, giving me more chances to score.

not saying i would win though. theres a good chance he would just keep hitting jumpers in my face and i'd be praying for him to miss.

Where do you live? I'll play your boy, or another teammate from "didn't play nowhere" University with however much money you want to on the line,  just gotta score a bucket against the homie's impregnable 5'6 140 5'8 wingspan d. If he blocks a jump hook, I'll double up and give you 2x 
laugh.gif

If you are 6'0, getting shut out by a 5'6 140 guy, quit basketball. Short of flagrant fouling the #!#+ out of you or you just missing on your own or help defense, that should not happen. They're going to lean, and get low and get both arms into your back which is technically a foul, but still if you can't score on that, shame on you for being bigger for nothing. Which brings up a whole 'nother point about the difference between one guy and the next isn't always just talent, but opportunity and who you know plays a huge role. Your boy Bassy, would not have sniffed the league if not for the Marbury connection, and is why even now he is on the fringe.

DatZNasty coming thru with that immaculate knowledge
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by got shoes

Originally Posted by outkast9984

nobody has any shot in here to beat an NBA player so stop dreaming...there is a reason why they are in the NBA and we are all on here..

are you serious. So say i was 6'10" played college ball but didn't make it to the League. So i got Chris Duhon at my local gym. You really think he can bang with me in the post. And we already got the thread with the worst pg in league going on.
laugh.gif
 Not every pg is that good. 
you dont know wha you are talking about... the dudes are in the NBA for a reason... if they were garbage they wouldnt be there... everyone talks about barea this and that but dude has done a good job....

Kevin Ollie is also another guy to look at. He was never a great athlete to begin with, but he has gotten FFAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT, sitting over on the OKC bench being a "locker room" guy. Dude got an 8 second violation running full speed up court with the ball
laugh.gif
I was like "you fatass!" We need to cut him this off season and bring him back as some sort of special assistant coach so we can have that roster spot available

Originally Posted by amel223

You guys would probably get shut down by a guy like Jeremy Lin
laugh.gif

Size has nothing to do with it.  A guy like JJ Barea may be 5"9 but you gotta consider that he's been playing against bigger guys who are better than any NT player all his life.  He's gunna know how to defend bigger players. 

I have this friend who's 5"6, 140 pounds, played d3.  Not d2.  Not d1.  D3.  Just d3.  And there were so many days where we counted on him to guard the biggest guy on the other team cuz we were just so small in pickups.  And he guarded guys who were 6"2, 6"3, guys who had easily 60-70 pounds on him in the post alll day, and we were still running the courts. 

I asked him one day how he can take the beating, and he was like, "I've been the smallest guy on the court all my life.  Bigger people trying to post me up is nothing new to me." 

Soooooo....if you think about it, JJ Barea will not break a sweat guarding you in the post.  Unless you're like a forward in d1 basketball who couldn't make it into the nba because you were a tweener.  Which I HIGHLY DOUBT ANYONE HERE ON NT FITS THE BILL. 
lmao the 6'2 6'3 dudes your boy played with were probably garbage and soft if they can't post up a 5'6 dude. All of a sudden JJ Barea become Dwight Howard on the low block now ? He won't break a sweat guarding dude who are 4, 5 inches taller than him ? And you have to be a D1 forward in order to even get a shot at playing him ? lol I dont care how good your boy or JJ Barea is. Him and Barea will break sweats if theyre guarding someone who is taller and know how to play ball

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KenJi714

No i won't, you just sucks at bball or just a short scrawny dude if u get work by DJ augustin. Let say if someone is 6'5, has good ball IQ ,has decent handle and good at shooting. You would think he'd lose to dude like DJ Augustin ?
laugh.gif
smh. Don't understand why people think NBA players are god like. There are plenty of good players out there . They're just not fortunate enough nor didn't focus hard enough to make it to the pro

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm going to assume you were kidding

LOL@ this dude emphasizing 6'2 6'3 6'4... well it doesn't really matter when you can't buy a basket.

having said that you're too slow for any NBA guard. JJ can guard your 6'2 6'3 6'4 lanky body. lol he knows how to guard.

i mean whens the last time jj got torched in nba? by who?

Dudes just goin on size and numbers etc.

Thats not all there is to the game of basketball.

Sure there are a few scrub guards in the league, but very few.

Most of yall would get beat on cardio alone, its not as easy as it looks.

Kevin Ollie , seems like the best candidate though.

Originally Posted by HANNSUM

LOL@ this dude emphasizing 6'2 6'3 6'4... well it doesn't really matter when you can't buy a basket.

having said that you're too slow for any NBA guard. JJ can guard your 6'2 6'3 6'4 lanky body. lol he knows how to guard.

i mean whens the last time jj got torched in nba? by who?
When was the last time he got significant minutes? Dude gets lit up by whoever he guards, save for Bassy coincidentally who I saw him straight put on lock, he is good at using his diminutive size to his advantage by flopping though. Refs buy it sometimes. But 5 on 5, team defense, help, hedging, digging down in the post, etc. are all going to help him out. 1 on 1 there would be none of that. You could just back him down all the way under the basket and flip up layups and finger rolls. That's what I did mostly to get on at Open Run when it was "No help defense, mind your business!" I wasn't even going to take chances with a bunch of jumpers.

Good video on basic post moves predicated on simply sealing your defender, especially effective if you have a size advantage; changes some but not a great deal when you're using backdown dribbles, just continue to seal them as they're trying to come around for the steal or contest. There's a reason any form of the hook is the hardest shot to block in basketball

http://www.youtube.com/v/t2dJ6EpQIgk&hl=en_US&fs=1&http://www.youtube.com/v/t2dJ6EpQIgk&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Question:

Are we playing winners or losers out in 1 on 1.

Losers out is much tougher, its harder to get into a flow and you gotta play D.

barea would bust any of your %!+#% either way.

what kind of bum posts ups all game? lol

lulz 9 year olds. yup yup

People do it all the time when they play for money. Game just ends up with tons of fouls being called and eventually a fight breaks out
laugh.gif
But since Barea's defense is so impregnable, that's the only chance anybody might have. You can't shoot over him, his amazing wingspan and quick vertical leap will block you. You can't cross or run passed him, he's too quick, you can't hope for anything but to back him down, and even that is futile unless you are a D1 guard who almost made the NBA.

DatZNasty are you coming back up to lagcc this year?

If so im willing to play you 1 on 1.

Not saying ill bust your *** or something, but i'll give you a good run.

And if i give you a decent game wouldnt it be safe to say u couldnt beat Barea??

Originally Posted by JoeClear

Nobody seems to  want it with Mo Williams, Flip Murray or  Ramon Sessions .

I'd actually like to play Mo Williams

Dude could use some hard fouls

got shoes:
outkast9984:
nobody has any shot in here to beat an NBA player so stop dreaming...there is a reason why they are in the NBA and we are all on here..
are you serious. So say i was 6'10" played college ball but didn't make it to the League. So i got Chris Duhon at my local gym. You really think he can bang with me in the post. And we already got the thread with the worst pg in league going on.
laugh.gif
No. Because... you're not.

Nobody ON HERE is beating an NBA player.

And when we say 'nobody', that doesn't LITERALLY mean 'nobody'. There might be MAYBE 2 or 3 people on here that could beat an NBAer.

You're not one of 'em, though.

Neither am I.

Moving on...

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

got shoes:
outkast9984:
laugh.gif
No. Because... you're not.

Nobody ON HERE is beating an NBA player.

And when we say 'nobody', that doesn't LITERALLY mean 'nobody'. There might be MAYBE 2 or 3 people on here that could beat an NBAer.

You're not one of 'em, though.

Neither am I.

Moving on...

That CEO beat Jordan
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom