I'M IN EXCRUCIATING PAIN IN MY LOWER BACK (SQUATS)...WHAT TO DO?

Yesterday I was doing back squats, and everything was going well, just my normal routine, etc. On my last set, I went down, and when I started to come back up,a stinging pain shot through my lower back and I just dropped down. Now it hurts to do just about anything, especially getting up and walking. What could havepossibly happened? Herniated disc? Pinched nerve? I've never had an injury like this and so I'm wondering what I have and what to do about it. Any helpor advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Go out for a nice lobster dinner and you should be fine.

I would definitely hit up student health and get it checked out. If its a pinched nerve they can give you some anti inflamatories and recommend rest. If youdecide not to do this, just rest up, ice it, heat it and see if it heals.

Chances are you've done something to the muscles in your back - either like Joka said a sprain or you've torn something.

Probably sensibly to get it checked out though.

i had that pain too when doing squats, caught myself with the wrong form, sounds like u did too

When doing squats make sure you include dead lifts in your exercises.

Dead lifts can save your back.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to start doing dead-lifts and RDL's more frequently now. The thing that gets me is that, I had just done the same reps withthe same weight just 4 days earlier, so I assumed that I could do it again, if not more. So when I bottomed out and messed up my back yesterday, I was prettyangry because I should've been able to do it. I also didn't wear a belt, but I didn't wear a belt 4 daysbefore either. So while I'm mad that I didn't get the weight back up (I'm guessing bad form...
ohwell.gif
), I'm more concerned with just rehabilitating my back and getting back on.

Here is where I'm feeling the pain:
igvhmt.jpg

Notice, it's more to the right than directly in the middle.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Go see a doctor bro

word
sounds like you overloaded on the weight you were trying to move and sacrificed form in order to do so

smh.gif

I don't understand why people go to the gym to try and kill themselves

smh.gif

Take lots of Advil and then ice-down then heat pad your back. I get back pain that comes and goes. Once I bent over to wash my hands and BAM...I couldnt standstraight for a day. I dont have insurance yet thought, but you should def. go see a doctor. back pain is the worst

Originally Posted by SWOBOYdeHTEEZY

Yeah, I'm definitely going to start doing dead-lifts and RDL's more frequently now. The thing that gets me is that, I had just done the same reps with the same weight just 4 days earlier, so I assumed that I could do it again, if not more. So when I bottomed out and messed up my back yesterday, I was pretty angry because I should've been able to do it. I also didn't wear a belt, but I didn't wear a belt 4 days before either. So while I'm mad that I didn't get the weight back up (I'm guessing bad form...
ohwell.gif
), I'm more concerned with just rehabilitating my back and getting back on.

Here is where I'm feeling the pain:
igvhmt.jpg

Notice, it's more to the right than directly in the middle.
Dude, I have pain in the SAME EXACT SPOT!!

I got hurt on that spot a few times already. I described the pain to a physical therapist from the hospital I work in and she said I should definitely see adoctor. If this is the first time you felt this way, it might not be that serious. Since mine is reoccuring, I'm going to go see a doctor....Butmaybe you should see a doctor anyway.

*The physical therapist I talked to said that if the pain shoots down to your leg, there's a good chance that it's a herniated disk.

How much were you doin???? And you should def. watch your form, Because the purpose of weights is not for you to look good, it is basically a way to to improvemovement, decrease injuries, and improve strength and agility. And you won't gain muscle in the right places if you don't lift with the right techniqueso you should be careful.

1. Check the weight you were trying to lift. Drastic change from your normal routine?

2. Check your form. (can't stress this enough)

3. Lay off working out and see a doctor for the pain.

My workout went like this:

Front squat warm-ups (I've found front squats to be a good warm-up for back squats):

-135 x 8
-185 x 8
-225 x 8

Then I got into the actual back squats:

-275 x 8
-315 x 8
-365 x 8
-405 x 6 (This was the set that I hurt my back on, on the 4th rep...didn't finish the set, obviously)

I didn't wear a belt on any of these sets, because when I did the same workout 4 days earlier, I didn't wear one and was fine. About it being a drasticchange from my normal routine: not at all.

About my form, I'm not denying that it could be "bad" form, but in my honest opinion, I think my problem was that I went down too slowly and low.I also think I should've worn a belt.

But yeah, it's not like I don't do this weight frequently; that's what really gets me about this.

Damn, why do people try to deadlift, squat so much weight? (not trying to hate)

The strength gains you make are not worth destroying your knees, joints, tendons, back in the long run.

SWOBOYdeHTEEZY wrote:
My workout went like this:

Front squat warm-ups (I've found front squats to be a good warm-up for back squats):

-135 x 8
-185 x 8
-225 x 8

Then I got into the actual back squats:

-275 x 8
-315 x 8
-365 x 8
-405 x 6 (This was the set that I hurt my back on, on the 4th rep...didn't finish the set, obviously)

I didn't wear a belt on any of these sets, because when I did the same workout 4 days earlier, I didn't wear one and was fine. About it being a drastic change from my normal routine: not at all.

About my form, I'm not denying that it could be "bad" form, but in my honest opinion, I think my problem was that I went down too slowly and low. I also think I should've worn a belt.

But yeah, it's not like I don't do this weight frequently; that's what really gets me about this.

Chances are that your form is off (no offense) it's not really your fault cause I would say about 95% (that work out and squat regularly) doit wrong and their squats aren't low enough to count, so it would be hard for you to learn proper technique. In my main gym i've seen about about 2people do a squat that would count in about 6yrs (of course when I go to train at Defranco's in NJ it's a different story). My advice would be see adoctor get healthy and then learn to squat right, buy this book to help learn http://www.startingstrength.com/.It's a great learning tool. Sure your ego might take a hit when you find out you can only properly squat 275 for 3 reps or so if that, but if you want toget strong and stay injury free it's your only choice.

BTW... there is no such thing as squatting "too low"
tongue.gif
@%% toground squats all day baby. I know someone on this board has to know what I'm talking about. Buy the book, you wont regret it. WSBB forlife lol.

Back
Top Bottom