iOS 5 Update

Originally Posted by Streetballer23

A little late, but is there a list of all the changes of iOS 5 particularly the iPhone 4? I only noticed differences with the notifications of texts and missed calls, newstand, and reminders.

Are you serious?
Spoiler [+]
Apple.com

is there anyway to customize the lock screen? or can we lock notifications like reminders onto it?

The percent charged indicator (battery life), is non existent, at least for me. It just shows the battery and how much is left, no % number.

Originally Posted by bkmac

The percent charged indicator (battery life), is non existent, at least for me. It just shows the battery and how much is left, no % number.

Settings> General> Usage

Originally Posted by JayMosEnvied

Originally Posted by bkmac

Settings> General> Usage
Got it. Thanks.

Backed it up before te update, DL'd and everything and all my music, apps, and pictures are gone
frown.gif

[h3] Greenpois0n iOS 5 Untethered Jailbreak is Almost Ready[/h3]
World’s first convention of iOS jailbreakers ‘MyGreatFest‘ was held yesterday in London. Some prominent people from the jailbreak community participated in the event including Jay Freeman aka @Saurik – the creator of Cydia, the key member of Chronic Dev Team Joshua Hill aka @p0sixninja, iFile creator Carstein and others.

The most amazing news at the event was brought by Joshua Hill who announced that Chronic Dev Team had found 5 exploits to jailbreak iOS 5 which is a record number of exploits for any iOS version. All of these are userland exploits which are not affected with any hardware release but can be patched with a software upgrade. These exploits already work on current hardware, have been tested on all iOS 5 betas and found to work perfectly. More importantly these exploits work with the iPad 2 as well.

Chronic Dev Team will be releasing Greenpois0n to untethered jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone 5 once they have the hardware in their hand but the untethered jailbreak is very likely to be released for iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPod Touch and other existing devices as soon as the iOS 5 is released. There are no promises made but having 5 userland xploits in hand, which have not been patched in any iOS 5 beta, is a great success and makes us believe that iOS 5 untethered jailbreak is not too far away.

iOS 5′s latest beta 7 is already available for download and it can be jailbroken tethered with redsn0w or sn0wbreeze. It requires you to give a UDID to activate which is only available to iOS developers but if you jailbreak iOS 5 beta 7 with sn0wbreeze, it will remove the UDID requirement so you can activate without a developer account.
[h1]Siri voice command system ported from iPhone 4S to iPhone 4 (video)[/h1]
Mark Gurman

October 14, 2011 at 8:35 pm
Developer Steven Troughton-Smith has been working with 9to5Mac exclusively to port the iPhone 4S Siri voice command system to the iPhone 4. Troughton-Smith was able to get the beginning steps of a full port rolling after installing the iPhone 4S Siri and Springboard files onto an iPhone 4. As you can see in the video, Siri’s interface loads up with all the features from the iPhone 4S implementation.
Siri on the iPhone 4 can recognize spoken commands in both the standard Siri view and the keyboard Dictation view. The only issue at this point is that Apple is not authenticating (obviously) commands to its servers from iPhone 4 hardware. The Siri port to the iPhone 4, at this point, also has the ability to speak back to the user. You may notice Siri and the iPhone 4 acting very sluggish in the above video. The issue here is not Siri, but is that a special GPU driver for iPhone 4 is needed; and it is obviously not included in the iPhone 4S binary cache – where the Siri files are located.

Perhaps the biggest news here is that we’ve determined that there is no technical reason for Apple not to allow Siri to run on the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 hardware can support the Siri artificial intelligence system, as the A4 processor is said to be powerful enough. We are not entirely sure why Apple is making Siri an iPhone 4S exclusive but it could be due to special microphone support, or because the A5 may allow it to run slightly quicker. After all, Apple is the company who blocked custom wallpapers on the iPhone 3G because the animation is slightly slugger than the animation on newer iOS devices.

Originally Posted by DeNs415

Backed it up before te update, DL'd and everything and all my music, apps, and pictures are gone
frown.gif

same thing happened to me i was so mad then i did the restore again and they all popped up, if you backed up your phone properly all your pics should be in there and can be recovered

Originally Posted by DeNs415

frown.gif
Connect device to iTunes, right click on device, restore from backup, choose which backup date you want to restore to.

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by JordanF1end

when i iMessage a ipad or ipod, the other person sees my phone number. is there anyway to change it so they can only see my apple ID?

yeah i don't like that someone on an ipod/ipad gets my number but all i have is their ID

If you guy's are already messaging them, what's wrong with them having your number?

when i first tried imessage it was w/someone who doesn't have my number...well now they do

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I really hate how there is a seperate icon for watching movies. They should have just had it all under one icon like before. Just seems uncessary.

i agree...

ok im a noob to iphones so dont attack me but in 3 sentences or less whats the best 3 things about ios 5 ? also what exactly does jailbreaking a phone do?

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by JordanF1end

when i iMessage a ipad or ipod, the other person sees my phone number. is there anyway to change it so they can only see my apple ID?

I don't think so. You can call and have your number blocked but I doubt you can call someone and just have a name appear with no number. That actually would be dope.
yes goto settings > messages > receive at......you can add in your apple id address to receive your iMessages, then theres a caller id section and you can switch it to that.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

ok im a noob to iphones so dont attack me but in 3 sentences or less whats the best 3 things about ios 5 ? also what exactly does jailbreaking a phone do?

For me the best three things are Siri (4s only), notifications and the more features on the camera. Safari and music on the iPad. The majority of people jailbreak to customize the appearance and functionality of their device (iPhone, iPod, iPad and even Apple TV).

is there any way to turn off your network (carrier) ?
im in canada and go to the states a lot, so i usually turn it off....

right now, the only way is to put it on airplane mode

Originally Posted by arrjae2

Originally Posted by romedadude

Can you iMessage from iPhone to iPhone?
not sure if serious....
I was...

But, I was trying to use it earlier with someone and they told me different. $$%@* got me lookin stupid
mad.gif

Oh well.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom