Is "Distant Relatives" Better Than "WTT?"

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Nas fans calling Jay contradictory. Lol.

I'm sayin tho (and I like and respect Nas, he's in my five best rappers ever), it's like this is a Nas celebration/Jay bashing thread to some people. Damn. It's like Ye and Damian don't exist.

Plus add to the fact that most of these dudes wouldn't even go NEAR Distant Relatives if Nas wasn't on the album. People wanna say DR > WTT because of the message in it (and DR is great IMO) but please - most of them are only paying attention because Nas is on it. Damian's been givin you that heat for a long time now, were y'all payin attention then?

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Said this in another thread, but if you think WTT is about the good life and flossing then you really aren't paying attention to the lyrics.
I've heard way too many people say as much. They're definitely not listening.
No ARE YOU listening?

Code:
Basquiat's, Warhol's, servin as my musesMy house like a museum so I see 'em when I'm peein.............CMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by gambit215

Said this in another thread, but if you think WTT is about the good life and flossing then you really aren't paying attention to the lyrics.
No ARE YOU listening?

Code:
Basquiat's, Warhol's, servin as my musesMy house like a museum so I see 'em when I'm peein.............CMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is to the memory of Danroy Henry
Too much enemy fire to catch a friendly

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
All these fools rap about is flossing

No ARE YOU listening?

Code:

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Lol and the sad part is dude missed the whole point of Hov namedropping famous artists whose paintings he own. Just a couple of bars later...

Usually you have this much taste you European
That’s the end of that way of thinking, ni**a never again

Yeah, I'm positive dudes are not listening.

gambit215 wrote:

No ARE YOU listening?

Code:

IMFA is a bonus track...reason being it doesn't really fit in with the overall theme of the album. But we can still look at the end of the verse to see substance and not flash:
"usually you have this much taste you're European, this the end of that way of thinking "king" never again" 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
I just posted the same exact thing...but I said "king" cause the N word isn't in my vocabulary anymore
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
I just posted the same exact thing...but I said "king" cause the N word isn't in my vocabulary anymore
pimp.gif
My fault son, I was a lil slow on the trigger. You got it 
pimp.gif

All good, not even tripping...do find it amusing how the content of WTT is being completely annoyed by some though.

No ARE YOU listening?

Code:

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Lol and the sad part is dude missed the whole point of Hov namedropping famous artists whose paintings he own. Just a couple of bars later...

Guess Rolling Stone wasn't listening either :

More often we hear about "big rocks" and "gold bottles" – which, by the way, rhymes with "scold models." In the midst of an early 21st-century Great Recession, the vicarious experience of opulence may be enough for Jay's and Kanye's millions of fans. But on a record this ambitious, this sonically bold, it's a shame two of music's greatest storytellers don't extend their gaze beyond their own luxe lives.

Rolling Stone wasn't listening. Most these reviews weren't. I can find 5 reviews right now that think Jay is referring to himself in the bar "I'm %+@!##* depressed" and we, simple ol NT folk already discussed it and made it clear he's referring to Eminem

Rolling Stone wasn't listening. Most these reviews weren't. I can find 5 reviews right now that think Jay is referring to himself in the bar "I'm %+@!##* depressed" and we, simple ol NT folk already discussed it and made it clear he's referring to Eminem

Selective listening fam. Some people hear what THEY wanna listen to and take hints out of context.

Even on songs like NIP which is one of the THREE out of 12 tracks that dedicate themselves to swag and stuntin, Jay's saying lines like "Ball this $%+ weird, WE AIN'T SUPPOSED TO BE HERE, ball so hard since we we here, it's only right that we be fair" and "Ball so hard I'm shocked too, I'm supposed to be locked up too, if you escaped what I escaped, you'd be out in Paris gettin' #%#%#% up too"

And yet this album to some people is just about money
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Selective listening fam. Some people hear what THEY wanna listen to and take hints out of context.

Even on songs like NIP which is one of the THREE out of 12 tracks that dedicate themselves to swag and stuntin, Jay's saying lines like "Ball this $%+ weird, WE AIN'T SUPPOSED TO BE HERE, ball so hard since we we here, it's only right that we be fair" and "Ball so hard I'm shocked too, I'm supposed to be locked up too, if you escaped what I escaped, you'd be out in Paris gettin' #%#%#% up too"

30t6p3b.gif
I love this line
pimp.gif

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Guess Rolling Stone wasn't listening either :

More often we hear about "big rocks" and "gold bottles" – which, by the way, rhymes with "scold models." In the midst of an early 21st-century Great Recession, the vicarious experience of opulence may be enough for Jay's and Kanye's millions of fans. But on a record this ambitious, this sonically bold, it's a shame two of music's greatest storytellers don't extend their gaze beyond their own luxe lives.
The same Rolling Stone mag that named Eminem hip hop king? Yeah.
Hip-Hop is by the people and for the people. Most journalists are on the outside looking in on a world that they can NEVER fully understand. And even if they did understand, would they care? No. From a purely lyrical standpoint raps are often so layered that it's just not likely that someone on the outside who doesn't "speak the language" would be able to decipher it and fully appreciate what the artist is trying to convey. It's the same reason that rap awards don't get televised at the Grammy's lol. They don't understand or take us seriously, but they're FORCED to address us because hiphop dominates the charts.

LuketheJediKnight wrote:

30t6p3b.gif

The most important words you hear on this entire album are "we", "us", "our", etc. It's all over the album. "We" made it in America. "We" ain't supposed to be here. Millions of "our" people lost. Those with selective hearing only hear Kanye and Jay talking about themselves when in fact over the span of the entire album they're speaking for black people as a whole.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

apples and oranges.

WTT is lacking when it comes to that "oh S!!! Jay ripped that verse" type way. yea it sounds good, but (i really (dont know how to describe it )Jay/ye actually had a "lot more" meaningful content, but the rhymes were so basic it was pretty sad. Not Jay like at all.

Nas spit a lot of powerful content on DR, but that S!!! is kinda boring. Im sure Damien ripped a bunch of verses, but i honestly cant tell what the F!!! he is saying.

id say theyre equal if i had to vote today but i would rather listen WTT more/often.
I feel you, but if you can actually understand Damien he spits a lot of 
eek.gif
 lines.  Not punchlines of course, but real stuff.
But back to the topic at had, Distant Relatives is better imo.  WTT really didn't really do anything different or impressive in my eyes.  Listening to it was like listening to verses I'd heard before in a way.  DR was a nice change of pace and did something to add a little balance/common man's perspective to music.  

Originally Posted by 757bred

Originally Posted by jthagreat

apples and oranges.

WTT is lacking when it comes to that "oh S!!! Jay ripped that verse" type way. yea it sounds good, but (i really (dont know how to describe it )Jay/ye actually had a "lot more" meaningful content, but the rhymes were so basic it was pretty sad. Not Jay like at all.

Nas spit a lot of powerful content on DR, but that S!!! is kinda boring. Im sure Damien ripped a bunch of verses, but i honestly cant tell what the F!!! he is saying.

id say theyre equal if i had to vote today but i would rather listen WTT more/often.
I feel you, but if you can actually understand Damien he spits a lot of 
eek.gif
 lines.  Not punchlines of course, but real stuff.
But back to the topic at had, Distant Relatives is better imo.  WTT really didn't really do anything different or impressive in my eyes.  Listening to it was like listening to verses I'd heard before in a way.  DR was a nice change of pace and did something to add a little balance/common man's perspective to music.  
word...when the title track for "welcome to jamrock" came out and i actually listened to what he was saying - had me like
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

In y'all's opinion, what are the best songs from WTT?

...DR?
WTT:
Murder to Excellence
No Church In The Wild
New Day

DR:
Patience
Despair
Strong Will Continue

Even though i don't rock with the whole "god"/sprituality thing on this album...I completely understand it because my folks are jamaican. They weren't rastas but I know a bunch so I understand the concepts they speak of...
but...

The Sheer Knowledge Dropped on Distant Relatives dumps all over WTT.
30t6p3b.gif

Damian Marley and Nas hurt feelings with this one if ya'll pay attention.

In terms of content, "Patience" is better than the entire WTT album.

Ya'll need to read the damn lyrics:

[Nas Talking - Intro]
Here we are
here we are
Yeah
This one right here is for the people

[Hook] (Sample -MAMADOU & MARIAM, “SABALI

Back
Top Bottom