Is respect worth dying for?

DA145F5D-3C7C-4547-B5FB-7E88ACBFB32D.gif

Something you gotta realize too is there’s so many people who will provoke, run their mouths and antagonize a situation. You beat their ***, they’re calling the cops and trying to press charges over something they were the aggressor in.

There’s some people, if you beat their *** even if they deserved it. They’re not taking that L gracefully, and are going to try and catch you slipping at a later point when they have other people with them or when you’re with your family. There’s some who like to start **** but can’t fight but are ready to pull the strap out.

There’s nothing soft about walking away and getting yourself out of any situation you think has the potential to go sideways quick. You got too much going for you to have it all ruined by someone who either doesn’t have anything going for themselves, or even someone who doesn’t give a damn about anything.

Sometimes you need to do that in a work related setting and let them know you’re not the one, because if you let them get away with it once, they’ll keep it up.

Had an old manager try talking to me in a funny manner in front of a few coworkers, pretty much trying to embarrass me and make me look dumb. I just let him know in front of everyone that I don’t think I’m above criticism by any means, but if there’s an issue, come at me correctly, talk to me one on one, and don’t try and show me up in front of coworkers. He never did it again, but he would constantly come at people I worked with in such an professional manner.

Like you work with these people 40 plus hours a week, 5 days a week or so. You gotta set those boundaries from the jump that you’re going to tolerate being talked to in a disrespectful manner. Especially at this point in my life. I got a decent amount saved up and make good money off my side stuff, that I’ll quit over a disrespectful higher up if talking to them 1 on 1 or going the HR route doesn’t yield results.
Every job I've had I had to check a supervisor within the first couple months of working with them. Never had the problem afterwards.

Catching a charge and/or getting fired is another ball game, tho.

Something you gotta realize too is there’s so many people who will provoke, run their mouths and antagonize a situation. You beat their ***, they’re calling the cops and trying to press charges over something they were the aggressor in.

There’s some people, if you beat their *** even if they deserved it. They’re not taking that L gracefully, and are going to try and catch you slipping at a later point when they have other people with them or when you’re with your family. There’s some who like to start **** but can’t fight but are ready to pull the strap out.

There’s nothing soft about walking away and getting yourself out of any situation you think has the potential to go sideways quick. You got too much going for you to have it all ruined by someone who either doesn’t have anything going for themselves, or even someone who doesn’t give a damn about anything.
Wise words. Definitely stuff l think about. People are very immature and petty.
Most things can be avoided. If you are truly in tune with yourself, you can shrug/laugh off many things and not feel the need to entertain the foolishness or "prove yourself". Reading certain material can help with that.

Every job I've had I had to check a supervisor within the first couple months of working with them. Never had the problem afterwards.

That’s how it is. What’s crazy is some of them take you standing up for yourself as disrespect to them. I got that vibe a lot, especially when I was younger.

What’s crazy is some of these supervisors need to learn how to read the room. Especially in todays work climate. So many people are quitting and just getting fed up to where a lot of stuff which employees would tolerate in the past isn’t going to fly anymore. Once I started making decent money off the stuff I do on the side and managed to get a decent amount in my savings. My tolerance level toward any workplace bs became 0. It was already low before that as is lol.

Depends on the context..... At the end of the day, respect is intangible and should be left that way.

That’s how it is. What’s crazy is some of them take you standing up for yourself as disrespect to them. I got that vibe a lot, especially when I was younger.

What’s crazy is some of these supervisors need to learn how to read the room. Especially in todays work climate. So many people are quitting and just getting fed up to where a lot of stuff which employees would tolerate in the past isn’t going to fly anymore. Once I started making decent money off the stuff I do on the side and managed to get a decent amount in my savings. My tolerance level toward any workplace bs became 0. It was already low before that as is lol.
Interpersonal skills need to be considered more when putting people in positions of management.

If you're asking for recommendations on that topic l only have a few, but plenty on my to do list. I've read the 4 agreements and the subtle art of not giving a f, both are pretty decent reads.
Yeah recommendation books on the topic.. Thanks..

Depends on the situation if I'll react really. Definitely not worth dying over some words if thats what we're talking about

Interpersonal skills need to be considered more when putting people in positions of management.

I agree completely. I can only speak from a retail perspective, but I was manager for lids for a while when I was in college years ago. I’m friends with the majority of the employees I hired and worked with to this day. I didn’t do any of that micromanaging stuff, I treated them with respect and as long as they didn’t make me look bad, there was no need to make the job harder than it needed to be. I swear though, a good chunk of other managers stayed kissing that corporate butt and had zero people skills, and the way they acted around district managers and regional managers was laughable knowing how they normally treated their employees as I had a few transfer and work with me. But crappy management is a big reason for employee turnover.

Wise words. Definitely stuff l think about. People are very immature and petty.
Most things can be avoided. If you are truly in tune with yourself, you can shrug/laugh off many things and not feel the need to entertain the foolishness or "prove yourself". Reading certain material can help with that.

Sadly I had to learn a lot of this the hard way. I used to be hot headed as hell, getting into avoidable incidents and dealing with the self inflicted repercussions of that. I mellowed out a lot over the last few years, I just wish it didn’t take me until my 30’s to grow on that level. But I appreciate the growth, because there’s people well into their their 50’s who are set in their ways and habits. Being able to control your anger and emotions, it’ll have you in control of a lot of situations and scenarios and able to diffuse things well.

Verbal disrespect, nah. Not dying over that. I have stuff to lose and life is pretty great right about now. Couldn’t imagine throwing it away over someone whose opinion of me I couldn’t care less about.

Physical disrespect, I’m defending myself. But I do my best to stay away from those sort of situations.

my old Neighbor used to be creepy af, he used to sit outside the crib all drunk and and try to get my wife to come outside. :rofl: like non stop. that was super disrespectful and rapey.

that was years ago, I just shrug stuff off for the most part and couldn't care less what you think of me.

Just a thought I've had for a minute.
I've come across people who value their respect more than anything.
Also, T.I.'s lyric "I don't know what you do for your respect, but I'mma die for mine" is cited a lot in the hood.
Hip hop cats should be nominated for academy awards in acting. Alot of fraudulent dudes playing dress up.

TI snitched for a lighter sentence when he was busted with guns. The hell does he know about respect

Back
Top Bottom