Jay Z says 'My presence is charity', compares self to Obama in response to Harry Belafonte's critici

Bruh you have not read through this thread at all.

It's been proven that Jay Z has given back a lot.

He has a scholarship fund.

He set up a trust fund for Sean Bell's daughter and paid his fiancée.

He set up a clean water project in Africa.

He's renovated gyms across the country for the Boys and Girls Club.

That's only some of what he's done.

The fact that you dont think he has given anything back is a belief you have that is false.

And you didn't read my post. I'm speaking specifically to Marcy/Bed-Stuy/Brooklyn. Belafonte's whole point was more about being vocal in social responsibility for the community as well. Something he doesn't do. But Jay ain't that type of guy I guess which is alright.

More over my post was also in relation to the attitude alot foster about him not owing anybody anything. But don't focus on that.

You and Antidope should get a room.

So a drug dealer or ex drug dealer...or person with a criminal past, who grew up in hardship would be wrong....to relate and see inspiration/hope in Jay Z because of the similarities in his past regressions and their current ones?
Yeap, his post went over your head.

He didn't even mentioned or touched on the subject that you are asking him about.

If you want to keep it all the way 100...if anything Obama shouldn't be compared to the crusaders of the civil rights movement either. MLK/Martin etc...despite NOT having the stature or political power of position used their voices, message and fervor to make strides and major/significant changes that improved the quality/treatment and position of AA in America.

Whereas Obama....who IS in the position, has the political power/stature to make significant changes for the betterment and improvement of AA has not made any major/significant strides changes or improvements that specifically bettered the AA community.

Yeap, his post went over your head.

He didn't even mentioned or touched on the subject that you are asking him about.
No I got what he overall said... I just don't see how Jay Z should/can only be seen as inspirational from a business aspect. Considering the dope game/his lifestyle and all that he learned and acquired in terms of business is concerned stemmed from those experiences.

He wasn't talking about appearances, he was saying him just being alive is charity to the world.

Or you can go with what he actually said. "Like Obama the hope he provides is charity"

Hope = encouragement = aid = charity

So a drug dealer or ex drug dealer...or person with a criminal past, who grew up in hardship would be wrong....to relate and see inspiration/hope in Jay Z because of the similarities in his past regressions and their current ones?

If they find inspiration in him so be it...I see nothing wrong with it.

No I got what he overall said... I just don't see how Jay Z should/can only be seen as inspirational from a business aspect. Considering the dope game/his lifestyle and all that he learned and acquired in terms of business is concerned stemmed from those experiences.
Got it!

He wasn't talking about appearances, he was saying him just being alive is charity to the world.

Or you can go with what he actually said. "Like Obama the hope he provides is charity"

Hope = encouragement = aid = charity

Yeah basically because I didn't see Jay Z say being alive is his charity, people want to interpret things their way and get angry about it :lol:

Glla, Keko, Rell, its been time to bow out of this thread.
I was done when dude said that some drug dealers have no other options than to sell drugs.
And told me I was naive if I didnt believe that.

:lol:
I mean what else is there to say after something like that is said.
Sometimes you just have to realize who you are arguing with and say no thanks.

Let them keep believing that Jay-Z belongs in the conversation with MLK. Although the effects of what he did still serve us today,
as we dont have to be second class humans.

Yall have fun with this thread

The biggest thing I take from this post.

A. Black America is leaderless

B. Black America is sensitive

C.Black America hates itself, or at least part of itself.

14 pages and no mention of jay "putting dollars on his, ask Columbine," or when "the twin towers dropped I was first in line" or "the dude who takes his dollars and drops gifts off at the projects"

come on jay stans
:smh:

Last edited:
It's always funny to me how people expect Jay-Z and other celebs to do more for their community than the preacher they go see every Sunday.
That same preacher is probably leading a march through the neighborhood against gun violence. Don't know about your hood, but I see this all the time.
lol Nah . . .

First time I saw any type of march/protest in my life in my town period was the Trayvon Martin situation

Preachers ain't going to no hood lmao

He said just being who he is provides hope whether he does anything or not, but Obama did do things way more things than Jay-Z has, only in a positive way by taking on social and political topics that affect everyone in America. Bruce Springsteen has took on those issues too in his music and activism and is considered the voice of the average working person, which Belafonte thinks Jay-Z should be doing too. 

Obama got to where he is in a way everyone can do, such as studying and going to school and advancing like a normal person.

Jay-Z's hope is getting a lot of money (everyone knows you can do this you don't need Jay-Z). Obama's hope is living a positive lifestyle and climbing up the same ladder the average person does, and then becoming the average citizen's voice. Jay-Z and Obama are not comparable.

Last edited:
Mad at dude cause y'all think he's elevated himself to god status....but you want him to lead everyone to the promised land.....like god.

He said just being who he is provides hope whether he does anything or not, but Obama did do things way more things than Jay-Z has, only in a positive way by taking on social and political topics that affect everyone in America. Bruce Springsteen has took on those issues too in his music and activism and is considered the voice of the average working person, which Belafonte thinks Jay-Z should be doing too. 

Obama got to where he is in a way everyone can do, such as studying and going to school and advancing like a normal person

Jay-Z's hope is getting a lot of money (everyone knows you can do this you don't need Jay-Z). Obama's hope is living a positive lifestyle and climbing up the same ladder the average person does, and then becoming the average citizen's voice. Jay-Z and Obama are not comparable.

He said just being who he is provides hope whether he does anything or not, but Obama did do things way more things than Jay-Z has, only in a positive way by taking on social and political topics that effect everyone in America. Bruce Springsteen has took on those issues too in his music and activism and is considered the voice of the average working person, which Belafonte thinks Jay-Z should be doing too. 

Obama got to where he is in a way everyone can do, such as studying and going to school and advancing like a normal person.

Where he is, is a minority (AA) everyone cant do that hell until him no one in the history of the USA has ever done it. Even if you take it on a smaller scale and say everyone (AA) can be in some sort of fashion obtain a political position....that is even slim to none.

As far the same ladder lol the average AA path to success is nowhere even close to Obama. Plenty of AA study hard and aspire to go to college... and out of those who do damn sure everyone aint getting in no ivy league college. Lets be realistic. His ladder in all actuality, while positive is a pipe dream for most AA.

Even the condition and environment in which he was raised in isn't the same as a majority of AA.

Jay Z, through be it his lyrics and his lifestyle symbolizes that despite coming from a single mother, low/middle class home (in which is the case for 7 outta 10 AA) can overcome and survive and make it out despite having a blemished/checkered past (to which 5.5 outta 10 AA americans have).

While one to many of you path may seem more honorable and more respected....Paths have a beginning, and when comparing the beginnings/upbringing of the two, it is statistically proven an overwhelmingly majority of AA beginnings/paths start of in the way Jay Z did as oppose to Obamas'

I mean if all you can get from Jay Z is make money and be famous then that's the narrow-minded views you choose to take and that's fine. But to say someone is wrong or misguided to see him as a AA male who came from an environment and condition that over 70% of AA come from, who despite not having a higher education in which over 80% of AA also don't have, and through hardwork, due diligence, drive and persistence. Manage to remove himself from those conditions and make himself an success then that's simply your opinion.

Again what I find funny and ironic of it all especially with AA, is you can overlook religion (specifically Christianity) all the wars, the bloodshed, the corruption, the evil and how it was used to control/manipulate and render AA powerless during slavery...and see the (so called yet unproven) good in it. Yet cant do the same in reference of a person.

lol Nah . . .

First time I saw any type of march/protest in my life in my town period was the Trayvon Martin situation

Preachers ain't going to no hood lmao
Except for Wednesday bible study and Sunday service to collect their snaps from their ohs........ I meant to say tithes from the smart and insightful followers who come with the intentions of serving the lord..... and definitely not to justify, avoid having culpability, and defer from personal accountability for all the hypocrisy and ills they committed the other 6 days of the week according to their savior "codename repent"    

Except for Wednesday bible study and Sunday service to collect their snaps from their ohs........ I meant to say tithes from the smart and insightful followers who come with the intentions of serving the lord..... and definitely not to justify, avoid having culpability, and defer from personal accountability for all the hypocrisy and ills they committed the other 6 days of the week according to their savior "codename repent"    

I have lost hope in a lot of religions do to the people that manage it.

Not everyone is the same, but when a lot are doing it, the perception becomes reality.

I have lost hope in a lot of religions do to the people that manage it.

Not everyone is the same, but when a lot are doing it, the perception becomes reality.

religion and to be specific Christianity as it relates to AA is a lot like stealing.... some ppl use it as a means for personal gain and intent is one of selfishness... others use it as its the only viable option and use it to provide for their family, get something they have no other option to get.

End of the day just like stealing, religion in the initial principal and the majority of why it is done/used and has been done/used has been one of the negative. And throughout history has been more of a detriment then an asset.

religion and to be specific Christianity as it relates to AA is a lot like stealing.... some ppl use it as a means for personal gain and intent is one of selfishness... others use it as its the only viable option and use it to provide for their family, get something they have no other option to get.

End of the day just like stealing, religion in the initial principal and the majority of why it is done/used and has been done/used has been one of the negative. And throughout history has been more of a detriment then an asset.
Did you just say what I've been tryna say...but smarter?
pimp.gif

Church is a business, and they sell a product. In a lot of these churches you give a percentage of your paycheck expecting a return......

Did you just say what I've been tryna say...but smarter?
pimp.gif

Church is a business, and they sell a product. In a lot of these churches you give a percentage of your paycheck expecting a return......
funny thing is in the bible...one it says nothing about a percentage certain amount. And the biggest thing it says is to provide for the head of the temple (aka preacher etc) but that the head of the temple should only accept what is in necessity, and sow all abundances into the earth so that all shall prosper.

Im pretty sure a vast majority of preachers live waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then the bare minimum... And a vast majority of them damn sure don't give the money back, nor do they use it to provide for all the community...SHOUTOUTS to 501c3 and expense account write offs.

Yes we know organized religion has been detrimental since integration, but it's also been stated that during the civil rights era it was pivotal in change. Then again during civil rights the was more unity and group think in all facets of the community. I don't see where this enters in when speaking about Jay tho.

The point being missed here isn't where Jay-z is putting his dough.

Belafonte wanted him to be more vocal. Which is where Springsteen comparison came form. If you decipher his lyrics he has gems here and there. But he doesn't speak out on social injustice frequently or on any platform. And as I've said Jay is a quiet cat when it comes to that. That just ain't him. Which is understandable. And I'm sure his contributions on the low are appreciated by many.

Belafonte comes from an era were folks with were vocal (obviously out of necessity) that's what got things done. I see why Jay is miffed with him just putting him out there in the media. It could be construed as an unfair criticism for a guy who was/is shy on stuff. But he is kinda right here.

Back
Top Bottom