Jim Brown Criticizes Tiger/Jordan for lack of participation in social activism

What do you guys think about this???
I agree w/ brown on this, not enough athletes use their status to bring about social change the way jim brown does/has done.
[h2]Jim Brown Rips Tiger Woods for Failure to Speak Out on Social Issues[/h2]
Posted Jun 20th 2009 1:55PM by Michael David Smith

Filed under: Browns

jimbrown150.jpg
Jim Brown was one of the greatest athletes of the 20th Century, a Hall of Fame running back for the Cleveland Browns who dominated his sport in the 1950s and 1960s. But Brown wasn't content just to succeed on the field.

Brown always said he had a social responsibility that went far beyond football, and after retiring he started the Amer-I-Can Program and has worked tirelessly to promote education and curtail gang violence, efforts that he says other professional athletes should emulate. And in an interview scheduled to air Tuesday on HBO, Brown singled out Tiger Woods as the one athlete whose failure to work for social change most disappoints him.

In a profile of Brown and Bill Russell that will air on HBO's Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel, Brown ripped Woods, expressing disappointment that Woods shows such passion on the golf course but doesn't seem passionate about making a difference in society.

"You know what's so interesting about Tiger to me?" Brown said. "He is a killer, he will run over you, he will kick your #!%. But as an individual for social change? Terrible. Terrible. Because he can get away with teaching kids to play golf, and that's his contribution. In the real world, I can't teach kids to play golf and that's my contribution, if I've got that kind of power."

This isn't the first time Brown has criticized Woods; last year Brown said he thinks Woods is too politically correct. And in fairness to Woods, it should be pointed out that his Tiger Woods Foundation has spent millions of dollars on educational programs, so it isn't accurate to say that teaching kids to play golf is his only contribution to society.

But it's certainly also true that Woods usually tiptoes around controversial issues. That obviously irks Brown, a great athlete who never backed away from controversy.
Tags: Jim Brown, JimBrown, Tiger Woods, TigerWoods

Back to articles

http://i.fanhouse.com
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2...-speak-out-on-social-is/

I completely understand where he's coming from. A person of Tim Wood's statue, if he were to speak out on there things they would be not only heard butfelt. But at the same time, he's his own man.

Jim Brown is correct, Athletes have a forum to insight change. yea they "doin them" but it takes a greater human being to be more concerned withHuman issues than just their wallets.

and it aint just a :black" thing, this goes for everyone

Brown's not talkin about his charitable donations, he's talkin about social change.

Its the easiest thing in the world to give ur money.

sheeeeeiddd, its a tax write off...

make a stand somewhere

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I completely understand where he's coming from. A person of Tim Wood's statue, if he were to speak out on there things they would be not only heard but felt. But at the same time, he's his own man.

_39163570_woodsap300.jpg

Was Jim Brown as "active" as he is now during his career? I mean, that's not really possible, but was he at all even? I'm asking bc Idon't know.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Brown's not talkin about his charitable donations, he's talkin about social change.

Its the easiest thing in the world to give ur money.

sheeeeeiddd, its a tax write off...

make a stand somewhere
word
image.jpg

I thought the reason why Brown retired was so he could dedicate more time to political activism??? fact or fiction?

The same Jim Brown that was accused of raping an 18 yr old in 1965, accused of throwing his fiance off of a balcony in 1968, accused of beating up a man aftera traffic accident in 1969, accused of rape in 1985, domestic violence in 1986, sending death threats in 1999 and vandalism in 1999?

Yea thats exactly the guy that needs to be saying something about activism.

I don't think you can criticize someone for not speaking up. he doesn't want to be in the public eye like that, he wants to be known as a golfer....lethim be

thats always interesting, because dude had troubles with the law, he cant be an activist. or even better, it negates all the other great works he's done...

rape accusation tho? ive never heard of that

Haze
pimp.gif
and that s why Muhammed Ali is as Beloved as he is across the world like he is.

pimp.gif
30+ yrs past his Athletic prime yet Ali is prolly the top 3 recognizeable sports figure across the globe

Back
Top Bottom