Jim Brown Criticizes Tiger/Jordan for lack of participation in social activism

Shuges, you are right that a small voice of theirs could go a long way, but again to me that is a very personal choice. Giv. The suggestion, privately push,but no need to do this

Jim Brown is right on.

I personally could not imagine being as wealthy and as huge a public figure as a professional athlete and NOT be out trying to give back in a major way.

Originally Posted by JStar25

Jim Brown is right on.

I personally could not imagine being as wealthy and as huge a public figure as a professional athlete and NOT be out trying to give back in a major way
that is fine... but you have no obligation to give back to anyone...

if you choose to give back to the community, then that is wonderful...

but where does this idea that they have an obligation to give back come from?

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I completely understand where he's coming from. A person of Tim Wood's statue, if he were to speak out on there things they would be not only heard but felt. But at the same time, he's his own man.

_39163570_woodsap300.jpg
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Well, at least Jim has publically owned up to and admitted his dirt, especially after his last incident. He doesn't use corporate speak to dodge his mess.In Tiger's and MJ's case, it's about ethics as well as social activism. Nike still gets busted over human rights issues. Barely a year ago, Nikewas exposed again for human rights violatons during the Olympics. People have asked Jordan for years about the sweatshops, pricing, & business practicesinvolving JB and all he'll do is start talking about quality and using makes of cars as an analogy in an attempt to deflect criticism/steer the convoelsewhere. Another way to look at this is how it affects the consumer. Since Nike/JB has been sweatshopping for years and hasn't much overhead to thinkabout, why the declining quality and rising prices? A good deal of the threads on NT raise the same question. Tiger looks worse than MJ in a way if you thinkabout since the "caublasian" thing and he's part Asian.

Jim Brown needs to take that ugly hat off and do more work then to make up for these two lost souls.

While I see what Jim is getting at and agree that Mike and Tiger together would be a powerful team, but wouldn't the world just be better off if we allleft people the hell alone? Too many people in this world worried about what everyone else is doing, why not just focus on yourself? If more people didthemselves the right way, problems would be less and less.
As already stated, Jim so worried about what everyone else should take a stand on, yet he seems to have his own problems that maybe he should look at. Maybeif he was a better Jim, and Tiger was a better Tiger, and on and on and on down the line, we'd have a much better world don'cha think?

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Shuges, you are right that a small voice of theirs could go a long way, but again to me that is a very personal choice. Giv. The suggestion, privately push, but no need to do this
I totally agree. Tiger or Mike don't need to be Gandhi or the next MLK. But as you said, I just think it's so easy to make a subtlecomment/suggestion to give ppl something to chew on.

Originally Posted by CP1708

While I see what Jim is getting at and agree that Mike and Tiger together would be a powerful team, but wouldn't the world just be better off if we all left people the hell alone? Too many people in this world worried about what everyone else is doing, why not just focus on yourself? If more people did themselves the right way, problems would be less and less.
As already stated, Jim so worried about what everyone else should take a stand on, yet he seems to have his own problems that maybe he should look at. Maybe if he was a better Jim, and Tiger was a better Tiger, and on and on and on down the line, we'd have a much better world don'cha think?
Because there are a lot of people in the world who NEED direction. Or prodding. Or simply being told what to do. If you break it down in a simpleway like saying children need parents to be taught or shown right from wrong. And that those same children need teachers to learn how to become doctors,lawyers, etc. And that pastors help instill good morals.... If any of those people went by what you said and focused on themselves, the world would REALLY be a%@+$!$ up place.

It's like seeing an old lady having trouble crossing the street. Some ppl will help her. And some others will say "#$%@ it, she'll eventually getacross". Yeah, you don't HAVE to help her. But if you're in a position to do so, why not?

^
I totally agree on the parenting and the teaching parts, but those are kids. Jim Brown is talking about grown men. He's trying to tell grown men tostand on a soap box for somethin. I dunno about that. I wouldn't like some dude tellin me what to do if he ain't my boss or my dad. Somebody tellme what to do I tell em to @#$% off.
laugh.gif

It's a slippery slope. If Tiger stays outta trouble, goes out and works hard, performs hard, doesn't get into trouble, gives good honest interviews,says nothing that will upset anybody, gives away some money to charity, how Ima be mad at that? How is a kid going to screw that up? I'd tell mydaughter, work hard like Tiger, stay outta trouble like Tiger, compete fierce like Tiger, and good things will happen for you. Tiger needs to give me morethen that?
frown.gif

Naw, that should be enough. For all those that are out there and are supposed great leaders and people the world can trust, how many wonderful preachers wehear about doin God awful things?
sick.gif

Now yes, if a little ol lady needs help across a street, or carrying a bag of grocieries, then that is on the parents to teach kids how to be a good humanbeing. That ain't on Tiger or MJ puttin their face on TV. imo.

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

Imagine if Tiger and MJ teamed up and URGED Nike to officially stop child labor and low costs to workers. Nike would *(&^ themselves.

Well said. Not only that, imagine if they put Nike on blast and forced their hand at trying to bring more jobs to the U.S.? Don't know if Nike would dothat based off MJ and Tiger alone, but it would definitiely put some heat on the company and put this issue in the national spotlight, especially in thiseconomy!
mad.gif

Athletes have the ability to ATTEMPT to inspire social change, but as humans they have the right to decide whether to take on social causes or not. I can'tfault anyone for choosing not to partake in such activities because ultimately it is meaningless. You think Tiger woods is going to inspire dead beat dads tostop abandoning kids in the ghetto? Nope. Let people do what they want. The responsibility to change rests on the shoulders of the people, not some millionaireathlete. If people aren't willing to help themselves, then nobody will inspire them.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

Imagine if Tiger and MJ teamed up and URGED Nike to officially stop child labor and low costs to workers. Nike would *(&^ themselves.
precisely.

guys please think before you speak

most sweatshop workers earn wages far exceeding the average in their countries. nobody is forcing them to take these jobs, they take them because they pay sowell compared to the other ones available.

you look at their wages and think how low they sound...well the cost of living in these third-world countries is a tiny fraction of what it is in the us.

taking these jobs away would be devastating.

Originally Posted by DubA169

he's 100 percent right, especially with Tiger. You know Tiger doesn't want anything to do with his black heritage. Especially regarding the sport of golf and the politics that come with it, Tiger should speak more.

and to whoever said "they don't want to be public figures" ummm they are already.... That makes no sense whatsoever. You are already a public figure, do something for your culture.
Qft

then espn go hype up woods like he can run for president???

like what have you done besides put a ball in a hole..and kiss #%*

and jordan....yeah I'm a fan but damn I see people in the hood buying his sneakers when he hasn't done a damn thing for the hood, like little kids lookup to you didn't even see you play still want to "be like mike"

what happen to the Ali's who refused to get drafted in the war???

throwing up a black fist at the olympics to prove a point

those things messed with those guys careers, but they still did it for the people

Originally Posted by Keithdajuiceman

he's 100 percent right, especially with Tiger. You know Tiger doesn't want anything to do with his black heritage. Especially regarding the sport of golf and the politics that come with it, Tiger should speak more.

and to whoever said "they don't want to be public figures" ummm they are already.... That makes no sense whatsoever. You are already a public figure, do something for your culture.
Qft

and jordan....yeah I'm a fan but damn I see people in the hood buying his sneakers when he hasn't done a damn thing for the hood, like little kids look up to you didn't even see you play still want to "be like mike"

those things messed with those guys careers, but they still did it for the people
You're joking, right?

What has Tiger done but put a ball in the hole? What else is he SUPPOSED to do? That's his profession.

Does MJ owe people in the hood something for buying his shoes? No one is forcing any of them to buy his sneakers.

It is not required of athletes to be a voice in social activism. But there is very little few left these days, and there are none that are superstars.

I'm black and Italian, my father is 100% black. He is retired now but has a Law degree from UCLA and a business degree from Bucknell University. Was ableto do all this in the 70's and 80's with 3 kids in a time that mix marriages were not the norm. My point is that men like Mr Brown, Robinson and Ali,made it possible for my father to accomplish these achievements. So the war for equality is over, why do Tiger, Jordan, Kobe or whom ever have to keep beatinga dead horse? Why doesn't the topic of Hollywood ever come up? I do extra work on films that are made in the United States that make millions of dollarsand I get paid peanuts. These same film studios hire extras in third world countries that make even less when they are filming. Why aren't directors likeSpeilberg, Howard, etc, ever brought to trail? Bottom line is take advantage of your education and talents, and you will be able to succeed, stop using raceas an excuse for your failures.

Originally Posted by Roc Boy Jada

Originally Posted by Keithdajuiceman

Qft

and jordan....yeah I'm a fan but damn I see people in the hood buying his sneakers when he hasn't done a damn thing for the hood, like little kids look up to you didn't even see you play still want to "be like mike"

You're joking, right?

What has Tiger done but put a ball in the hole? What else is he SUPPOSED to do? That's his profession.

Does MJ owe people in the hood something for buying his shoes? No one is forcing any of them to buy his sneakers.

Like I said the punk @*$ ninja does not do nothing.....and he gets praised, like his word is law....if these athletes get marketed like role models they shouldget off there @*$ and start doing instead of getting tax write offs from charity

Until they start coming out and saying hey I'm not a role model....and trying not to be held to high standerds in the public eye....then they need to putup or shut up

Mj got big off the hood in the first place, there were no asians, and whites etc buying the shoes in the start of his career....imo he does owe the communitysomething he owes the kids..

Originally Posted by MJDaLegend

they shouldn't participate if they got no heart to it
QFT

they are there own men if they want to raise awareness great but dont start because +!%%$% Jim Brown calls you out

Originally Posted by LB510

Originally Posted by MJDaLegend

they shouldn't participate if they got no heart to it
QFT

they are there own men if they want to raise awareness great but dont start because +!%%$% Jim Brown calls you out
grin.gif
If they had a heart they would feel the inclination toparticipate in social activism, plain and simple.

Lets face it, as a nation we have not achieved total liberty, equality, democracy or justice.
And until we reach that point, it is the duty of the citizens to fight for those goals.
MJ/Tiger are in positions of formidable power and they have the ability to influence the minds of millions of citizen.
They can choose to allow the people they influence to remain heedless, stagnant, ignorant fools, or they can do what's in their power to eradicateignorance, laziness, passiveness and instead prompt the people that they influence to get up and stand up for what's right or what they believe (this couldbe anything, politics, workers rights, poverty etc.)

Just like MLK said in Letter from Birmingham Jail also quoted in Gunnas sig
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere"[/color]

2pac was never scared to speak his mind.(7:40-8:15)

Originally Posted by vctry20

I'm going to go ahead and assume your talking to me. I didn't say he doesn't want to be a public figure, I'm saying he doesn't care to be in the public eye as an activist.

I mean as an individual for social change, Jim is right, Tiger is terrible at being an activist because he isn't an activist and has never pretended to be. but he gives stupid money to charity, he's a humble guy, and a good role moel, I am satisfied with that.
yeah i get what you are saying. I think Jim Browns points have merit as well though. It's just with the history of golf banning minorities I feel like it's more important for Tiger to speak out than Jordan. All in all I always got the idea that Tiger is not too proud of his black side. However obviously I don't know the man on a personal level so I'm basing this on what I've seen through the media.

I've always felt that way about Tiger. I just felt that with him being the first black guy to be a major figure in the sport of golf and thatsport's history against minorities that maybe he would be vocal about it. But some people just aren't the vocal type and he's always seemed to bean introvert to me. This is part of the reason why I'm not a HUGE Tiger fan but I do root for him to do well.

Alot of people have already said what I feel about Michael Jordan so I will digress from saying it again.

Back
Top Bottom