Jim Rome vs David Stern - rome beats his wife and the nba lottery was fixed

I may not like stern in general, but I do like the fact that he doesnt play. Gotta be cold hearted. I mean, go continually ask any ceo of any big business or any business really, and keep asking them if they are cheating or doing things improperly. They will get annoyed too
Plus they have a history too. So its not like he said it to a no named reporter

Rome realllly held his composure after that unnecessary low blow from Stern.. I thought he was gonna bug out more than that.

Props to him. Stern got an issue though

I can't believe Rome kept his composure after not one, not two, but three Ethers.

Ether 1. Do you still beat your wife
Ether 2. You've made a career off cheap thrills
Ether 3. I have to get going now, I have someone important to talk to, like Stephen A. Smith

eek.gif
eek.gif

Rome was left speechless
eek.gif

Hmm... still trying to figure out what's exactly professional about asking a sports commissioner if his league is a rigged farce.

"Listen here, Jim: you come at the king, you best not miss..."

Rome should have worded that entire question differently. Like asking Stern what the exact process is and what the protocol is when selecting the lottery.. like with the ping pong balls and everything back stage.

However, the loaded question certainly didn't warrant Stern's response. Total embarrassment on Stern's part, he should be ashamed of himself.

if carlos boozer would have responded to a jay mariotti question like that, the world would be after the black ice on his head

Originally Posted by MaxElite

The "beat your wife" comment went over some of you guys' heads.

i think most people get it. Its a question so outrageously false, you wouldnt dignify it with an answer. I doubt stern would go that low as to actually air out rome liek that

Not a fan of either but Stern is a piece of #%+@ and I can't stand him. Stern had a year full of mistakes and knows it, blocking the LA trade and the "lottery" draft. For him to come out and attack Rome like that is beyond weak.

Not sure how much more out of bounds you can be than asking "do you still beat your wife?" ...wut? where does that even come from?

$tern got frazzled by Rome, and possibly the question.

Originally Posted by DubA169

It is unprofessional as *%+# for stern to wig out
I agree. I don't care how tired Stern is of answering the question or how ridiculous he thinks it is, the way he responded to it from Rome was arrogant, petulant and unprofessional. He should be way more under control, particularly since he's heard all the same stuff before for years.

And I agree with those who say Rome is not just looking to stir the pot. If you listen to his show regularly, you'll find that is not the case and he is actually a pretty good interviewer. He asks difficult questions at times, but I don't think he's looking to put himself in the middle of controversies. In fact, I've heard Stern on his show on multiple previous occasions and there was never an incident before. Which is an additional reason I found what Stern said today to be disingenuous. If he really thought Rome is just out for "cheap thrills," why repeatedly accept invitations to be on his show? 

So... that Jim Everett video... Jim Rome didn't really scream like that did he?
EDIT: after watching it again, I'm guessing not 
laugh.gif

Stern is wickkkkkedd condescending when he gets a tough question and he turns vicious. Pretty bad move right there.

Until the NBA shows the actual lottery, everyone has reasons to question how New Orleans got that pick.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Stern is wickkkkkedd condescending when he gets a tough question and he turns vicious. Pretty bad move right there.

Until the NBA shows the actual lottery, everyone has reasons to question how New Orleans got that pick.

but as Stern said, if Brooklyn or charlotte wouldve won people would be saying the same thing. 

So wait, are people just mad that it was Jim Rome who asked the question, or do those same people have a problem with the question being asked PERIOD. It's a legitimate question IMO, there just been 1 too many coincidences involving the league owned hornets for it not to be put into question.

Anybody else find it weird when Stern went personal with the "beat your wife" question Rome didn't get angry, but he was PISSED when Stern commented on his career success?

Originally Posted by blakep267

Originally Posted by SCuse7

but as Stern said, if Brooklyn or charlotte wouldve won people would be saying the same thing. 

Why?

Originally Posted by thachosen123

So wait, are people just mad that it was Jim Rome who asked the question, or do those same people have a problem with the question being asked PERIOD. It's a legitimate question IMO, there just been 1 too many coincidences involving the league owned hornets for it not to be put into question.

its not really legitimate. Do you think that David stern would risk his league and career over anthony davis? Thats what people dont realize. The Hornets are not worth the entire league.
SCuse7 wrote:
blakep267 wrote:
SCuse7 wrote:

Why?

Because its easy to create conspiracies. The Nets are moving to a new city. They need a "star", since Williams will likely leave. It would be great marketing wise if Jay Z had a great bball team. It could be Stern and the league trying to appease Jordan because they are "friends" if the Bobcats got the pick. If a bigger market team got the pick over a smaller market, it turn into favoritism. Its easy to grasp at straws

The "do you still beat you wife" comment wasn't a personal attack on Rome. Its a loaded question example that Stern used to compare (which i think he was doing) to the question that Rome asked of him about a supposed fix,. He wasn't specifically saying or implying that Rome ever beat his wife. It's just a logical fallacy he used.

As for the loaded question comparison Stern used, its not comparable to Rome asking IF the fix was in. If Stern just answered with a "no" comment (like he did) it does not implicate any knowledge of any "fix".

Stern then went on to describe Romes show and his style in a negative way. This is what set Rome off, not the "do you still beat your wife" line.

Back
Top Bottom