Jim Rome vs David Stern - rome beats his wife and the nba lottery was fixed

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

Not a fan of either but Stern is a piece of #%+@ and I can't stand him. Stern had a year full of mistakes and knows it, blocking the LA trade and the "lottery" draft. For him to come out and attack Rome like that is beyond weak.

They ran a poll and in USA Today which is basically as average a paper as you can get. And more than 70 percent of the participants said that they think the nba rigged the draft.

So whether the nba rigs the lottery or not. Stern has a huge perception problem. Therefore the question is fair. I do agree he could have worded is Better.

The lottery should be streaming on the Internet.

laugh.gif
at how butt-hurt Rome got when his career was questioned

Originally Posted by DubA169

They ran a poll and in USA Today which is basically as average a paper as you can get. And more than 70 percent of the participants said that they think the nba rigged the draft.

So whether the nba rigs the lottery or not. Stern has a huge perception problem. Therefore the question is fair. I do agree he could have worded is Better.

The lottery should be streaming on the Internet.

Agreed, whether true or absolutely false, the perception is there

I just learned that the "do you still beat your wife" question is something that all journalists/media people know about and is just a rebuttle to a trap question.

In essence, if you say no then you are admitting that you beat her at some point.

That is why Stern said it, I thought he was just being a douche, which he was, but he meant nothing personal by it. He was still extremely frazzled by the lottery fixing question. So much so that he needed to start hurling insults at Rome's career.

Originally Posted by Hess Side 978

I just learned that the "do you still beat your wife" question is something that all journalists/media people know about and is just a rebuttle to a trap question.

In essence, if you say no then you are admitting that you beat her at some point.

That is why Stern said it, I thought he was just being a douche, which he was, but he meant nothing personal by it. He was still extremely frazzled by the lottery fixing question. So much so that he needed to start hurling insults at Rome's career.
But in this instance it's a rebuttal to an accusatory question. Rome launched a loaded question at Stern. Stern fired back with an equally accusatory question (that can't be proved either way). It evens the score. People just aren't used to such a sharp-tongued response, so they take it at face value. Stern owned him later on when he did provide an appropriate response to questions about the draft lottery and possible rigging scenarios.

This sounded more unreal when I read than when I heard it. He was just being dismissive cuz he's tired of the speculation. Still funny though
laugh.gif

Although I pretty much knew NO would get the #1 pick for a while there was an angle for most teams.

"was the fix in?" in no way says there was a fix if Stern answers it with a "no". He did indeed answer with a no, but before he did, he said he had 2 answers for it. No and Hell effing no. It isnt a loaded question that has any implications by answering it.

If Rome asked "Did you know about the fix?" then that would be different because answering it either way has its implications of a fix being there.

Stern was pissed that Rome brought it up to begin with and sited that it was unprofessional of Rome to even do so. All Stern had to do was say that he was displeased with that type of question but since it was posed, he would answer it. No need take jabs assuming that Stern felt that Rome threw the first punch.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

I can't believe Rome kept his composure after not one, not two, but three Ethers.

Ether 1. Do you still beat your wife
Ether 2. You've made a career off cheap thrills
Ether 3. I have to get going now, I have someone important to talk to, like Stephen A. Smith

eek.gif
eek.gif

Rome was left speechless
eek.gif
61a268f1d299481f66bc7855ce44b991612b6351.gif

LMAO. $tern sounded like he was taking a bubble bath in the penthouse suite with the water bong on deck. "Are you gonna hang up on me?"

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

roll.gif

Did dude really beat his wife?

I know Stern was shooting that question back to prove a point, but makes me wonder if this actually happened?

Im sure Stern knows a few things about those that associate with any sport, not just basketball.

No damns given, thats forsure
laugh.gif

David Stern did go to an Ivy Law School. Probably sharpened his oration skills while there. 

Originally Posted by MaxElite

Originally Posted by drop knee 101

everything was actually ok up to the point where D Stern said that Rome did things for "cheap thrills" and saying "you've been successful of making a career out of it".

Although spurred by a question that Stern didnt like, that response wasnt about the draft question anymore.

Im pretty sure both would re-do this if they could

Yeah but look at it this way.

Stern takes pride in the image and perception of his precious NBA. It's been his career for the past 3 decades almost.

Rome comes out and straight up questions the integrity of it. Stern probably didnt appreciate that.

So Stern comes back and questions Rome's career just as he did to him and Rome gets offended. It was never personal or unprofessional.

So like i said, Rome got owned.

eek.gif
roll.gif
I've never heard David Stern be that much of a **** before.

Rome didn't ask anything that was out of bounds. Maybe could've framed the question better ("what do you say to the allegations..."), but he explained why he didn't, I guess.

And if anything, Stern was the one that baited Rome into asking tougher questions, so I dont get why he just spazzed like that.

jim rome basically asked if stern commited a crime because fixing the lottery would have been crime. ROME POUTING LOLZ hilarious dat new york swag
NY / NJ > CA

Back
Top Bottom