Kanye West x Jordan Brand

Crocs weren't taken seriously by the sneakerhead culture in the same way Foamrunners were. Also, Foamrunners were produced with algae, which is pretty revolutionary from a sustainability and manufacturing standpoint.
You think Kanye was in the lab mixing the foam composite?

I'll give you that Kanye made foam shoes cool to some but they weren't ahead of their time. Crocs were big before Kanye released his first album. He just brought them a different demographic.

Crocs weren't taken seriously by the sneakerhead culture in the same way Foamrunners were. Also, Foamrunners were produced with algae, which is pretty revolutionary from a sustainability and manufacturing standpoint.

They could’ve made them from feces for all I care, his designs with adidas are far from revolutionary. Most were just ideas taken from other brands.

Admit it, y’all stans will gush over anything Yeezy touches and defend him till the end.

They could’ve made them from feces for all I care, his designs with adidas are far from revolutionary. Most were just ideas taken from other brands.

Admit it, y’all stans will gush over anything Yeezy touches and defend him till the end.
You don’t think sustainable manufacturing is revolutionary especially given how much waste the clothing and shoe industry generates (that is obviously fueling climate change)? Not saying Yeezy is the best at it but using algae foam (vs EVA foam, etc.) is absolutely an innovation here.

You think Kanye was in the lab mixing the foam composite?

I'll give you that Kanye made foam shoes cool to some but they weren't ahead of their time. Crocs were big before Kanye released his first album. He just brought them a different demographic.
No Kanye is the head of Yeezy, he merely approves or is the catalyst to ideas-do you think Steve Jobs put together the 1st iPhone himself? Lol

My point is that Yeezy (the brand) did this with Kanye at the helm.

The croc resurgence/hype baffles me. I was in middle school back in 06, and anyone wearing Crocs around that time was gettin COOKED. So to see cats fiending for them and Foamrunners now blows my mind.
You ironically answered your own issue with this lol Younger ppl (teens-early 20s) didn’t grow up with Crocs being hated like this so it’s a generational shift in opinion.

You don’t think sustainable manufacturing is revolutionary especially given how much waste the clothing and shoe industry generates (that is obviously fueling climate change)? Not saying Yeezy is the best at it but using algae foam (vs EVA foam, etc.) is absolutely an innovation here.
No Kanye is the head of Yeezy, he merely approves or is the catalyst to ideas-do you think Steve Jobs put together the 1st iPhone himself? Lol

My point is that Yeezy (the brand) did this with Kanye at the helm.
Adidas was doing the Parley before Yeezy did the foam. Parley may pre-date Adidas Yeezy completely. If not, its within a few months. Stop giving that man credit for everything under the sun. Everyone is doing sustainable now. That's not a Kanye thing.

Adidas was doing the Parley before Yeezy did the foam. Parley may pre-date Adidas Yeezy completely. If not, its within a few months. Stop giving that man credit for everything under the sun. Everyone is doing sustainable now. That's not a Kanye thing.
This is misinformation. Parley is re-using materials similar to now Nike used/uses NikeGrind. Foamrunners use a new, biodegradable compound. Totally different manufacturing and uses for both of these.

This is misinformation. Parley is re-using materials similar to now Nike used/uses NikeGrind. Foamrunners use a new, biodegradable compound. Totally different manufacturing and uses for both of these.
And you think that was Kanye's doing?

No offense, I don't know you at all, but you're coming off as a massive homer in giving Kanye credit for this. Adidas and Nike both (and most other companies) were moving towards sustainable resources before Kanye had a sneaker deal. The foamrunner is an extension of that, not something Kanye came up with.

Hell the foamrunner isn't even Adidas' first biodegradable shoe. They did it 5+ years ago. I guess that was Kanye too huh?

And you think that was Kanye's doing?

No offense, I don't know you at all, but you're coming off as a massive homer in giving Kanye credit for this. Adidas and Nike both (and most other companies) were moving towards sustainable resources before Kanye had a sneaker deal. The foamrunner is an extension of that, not something Kanye came up with.

Hell the foamrunner isn't even Adidas' first biodegradable shoe. They did it 5+ years ago. I guess that was Kanye too huh?

I’m 100% not crediting all of this to Kanye. In fact, Kanye isn’t either lol You do realize that Kanye had little to do with the design of the Foamrunners, right? I think you’re conflating Yeezy (the brand) with Kanye, the person. Steven Smith, the head designer at Yeezy and the actual design genius behind the brand’s designs, was the main influence/designer with Kanye signing off on it.

I get you hate Kanye likely because of his politics/attitude/ego/antics, etc., and you’re entitled to your opinion but please don’t discredit facts as a result. Biosteel is not the same as an algae based polymer used in shoe manufacturing for tooling. Even the pic in the article shows a shoe with EVA-based BOOST tooling lol:

“The sneaker prototype was manufactured in Atlanta from a combination of petroleum-based ethylene-vinyl acetate and foam produced from algae. West told the audience that the new Yeezy headquarters in Cody, Wyoming, will include a hydroponic farm where the company can grow its own algae.

The fashion industry pumps millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere every year, while many of the chemicals and dyes used during manufacturing end up polluting Earth’s waterways.”

Source: https://futurism.com/kanye-west-yeezy-sneakers-algae

I’m 100% not crediting all of this to Kanye. In fact, Kanye isn’t either lol You do realize that Kanye had little to do with the design of the Foamrunners, right? I think you’re conflating Yeezy (the brand) with Kanye, the person. Steven Smith, the head designer at Yeezy and the actual design genius behind the brand’s designs, was the main influence/designer with Kanye signing off on it.

I get you hate Kanye likely because of his politics/attitude/ego/antics, etc., and you’re entitled to your opinion but please don’t discredit facts as a result. Biosteel is not the same as an algae based polymer used in shoe manufacturing for tooling. Even the pic in the article shows a shoe with EVA-based BOOST tooling lol:

“The sneaker prototype was manufactured in Atlanta from a combination of petroleum-based ethylene-vinyl acetate and foam produced from algae. West told the audience that the new Yeezy headquarters in Cody, Wyoming, will include a hydroponic farm where the company can grow its own algae.

The fashion industry pumps millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere every year, while many of the chemicals and dyes used during manufacturing end up polluting Earth’s waterways.”

Source: https://futurism.com/kanye-west-yeezy-sneakers-algae
Again, Adidas was already going in that direction. Giving Kanye credit for it is just wild. You've moved the goalposts multiple times. "Foamrunners were ahead of their time!" - Crocs did it 20 years prior. "But Foamrunners are biodegradable!" Yea Adidas been working in that direction way before Kanye. Nobody is saying that Foamrunners are the same thing as biosteel but biosteel shows they were already going in that direction.

Again, Adidas was already going in that direction. Giving Kanye credit for it is just wild. You've moved the goalposts multiple times. "Foamrunners were ahead of their time!" - Crocs did it 20 years prior. "But Foamrunners are biodegradable!" Yea Adidas been working in that direction way before Kanye. Nobody is saying that Foamrunners are the same thing as biosteel but biosteel shows they were already going in that direction.
Again. HOW is biosteel “going in that direction” when no foam was used? As mentioned in the futurism article that you conveniently didn’t read (please feel free to read it before commenting and say you did though), Foamrunners are revolutionary *because* of the algae compound used in the foam tooling. You’re literally talking about a fabric compound vs a foam (from a shoe literally called the FOAMrunner lol).

Again. HOW is biosteel “going in that direction” when no foam was used? As mentioned in the futurism article that you conveniently didn’t read (please feel free to read it before commenting and say you did though), Foamrunners are revolutionary *because* of the algae compound used in the foam tooling. You’re literally talking about a fabric compound vs a foam (from a shoe literally called the FOAMrunner lol).
Biosteel shows they were already going green. Foamrunners are just the next step in that.

Biosteel shows they were already going green. Foamrunners are just the next step in that.
That wasn’t the point I was making though. My initial comments were about the foam compound used, which typically is either an EVA foam-based compound like Boost/React, etc. (which obviously isn’t good for the environment) or a grind/EVA mix like Nike uses in the Space Hippies, etc. to make them more sustainable.

7D3F8ADA-9613-4B12-96AC-5A53DA6E0592.jpeg

697840CA-97A9-4203-A3D9-FBBD37205B36.jpeg

As far as I know nobody has done anything like what Yeezy (again the brand, not Kanye specifically lol) has done with foam compounds like what they did with the Foamrunners and that is exactly what makes them so revolutionary.

Oh yeah I agree about the Foamrunners-those were seemingly ahead of their time, given how popular they are.
No this was your original comment. Then you moved onto the biodegradable algae as if Ye was in the lab growing it. It's cool, you're a Stan that thinks everything he does is revolutionary and he's responsible for Adidas going green. I get it.

BTW New Balance was messing with algae in shoes before the Foamrunners released.

Don't get wrong, it's cool tech. I hope to see more of it. It's just not some revolutionary direction that Adidas went bc Kanye made them.

But yea didn't mean to hijack the thread. If you want to think Foamrunners were some revolutionary design that was ahead of their time and Ye was in the lab growing the algae and got Adidas on board with going green, go for it.

No this was your original comment. Then you moved onto the biodegradable algae as if Ye was in the lab growing it. It's cool, you're a Stan that thinks everything he does is revolutionary and he's responsible for Adidas going green. I get it.

BTW New Balance was messing with algae in shoes before the Foamrunners released.

Don't get wrong, it's cool tech. I hope to see more of it. It's just not some revolutionary direction that Adidas went bc Kanye made them.
This is objectively false. Even Yeezy Mafia posted about them months before this New Balance collab happened lol: https://pagesix.com/2019/09/13/social-media-slams-kanye-wests-new-foam-runner-aka-yeezy-crocs/

Again, you keep conflating what I’m saying Foamrunners are ahead of their time because they were widely hated in mid 2019 when people started seeing them and now they are one of the brand’s most beloved models. That’s literally the definition of “ahead of it’s time” lol They can also have a revolutionary manufacturing process.

Both things can be true.

In any event, I honestly don’t care if you love/hate Kanye/Nike/Adidas, etc. etc. I don’t have any direct vested interest in any of these people/companies and you’re entitled to your opinion and this back and forth is pointless because you haven’t even bothered to do a min of fact checking. You seemed like you wanted to have an objective discussion but I think I was expecting too much since the final conclusion you’ve drawn is that I’m stanning for Ye (despite the fact that I was trashing him earlier in this thread, but you ignored that for some reason). Feel free to prove me right and respond to this since I know you need to have the last word here for some reason.

Peace.

But yea didn't mean to hijack the thread. If you want to think Foamrunners were some revolutionary design that was ahead of their time and Ye was in the lab growing the algae and got Adidas on board with going green, go for it.
Nike is also going green, working on a shoe 100% made of plants. They've already messed with the idea of "trash" shoes, such as the Space Hippie series. (90% of it is recycled materiel)

Lots of brands are working to better the environment, so Adidas/Kanye isn't the first.

Back
Top Bottom