KOBE HAS NO RIVAL?????

i remember kobe said one game after losing "hey what i can do? it is dwade we talking bout"

kobe is just too cool with wade tho to see him as a " rival threat"

wade too young tho?...he got a ring on his finger at a "young age" tho
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Lubu1

Lebron has no rival. Wade has no rival. Chris paul has no rival. Deron williams has no rival. Dwight HAS NO rival. What people fail to see is, you don't want anyone to be on your level. When you have no indiviual rival, then the entire league becomes your rivals because you want that damn ring. You don't want or need to like anybody because you will go through EVERYONE to get your rings. And thats what matters. Forget that 1 on 1 basketball because it clearly doesn't work. Its team vs team.

lebron has melo, chris has deron, etc and so forth... what is meant is great players who came into the league at relatively the same era within years of one another. like wall and irving. rose and westbrook. plus factor in like you said having a great team or a team of equal quality on said rival team. sorta how utah and n.o. was when paul/deron was there.

in kobe time even the other players of greatness were at a disadvantage because while they were great individually there teams werent. like bird and magic celts/lakers... it be nice to see that again but with the way drafts are and trade rules etc. it might not ever happen again

don't care if they were on the same team and play different positions, his biggest rival was Shaq then Vanessa

Originally Posted by PMatic

The battles between Kobe and Ray Allen since Allen spoke his mind about the Shaq trade. 
pimp.gif
I'm a HUGE Ray Allen fan, but Kobe has absolutely destroyed Jesus after he put Kobe on blast.  They both have a personal vendetta against each other.  

Right now he doesn't have a clear cut rival, but a few years back (2007-2009) Lebron was undoubtedly Kobe's rival and everyone knew it. Back then the consensus of who was the best in the league was split evenly.

Kobe-vs-Lebron-Widescreen-Wallpaper.jpg

lebron_kobe.jpg

issue-129-lebron-kobe.jpg

Originally Posted by Johndaeyun

Tracy McGrady would have been the rival for kobe if not for the injuries. 

If I recall, Tracy fried Kobe the majority of the time from their meets....

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

different positions but
i would say dirk is the closest "rival" to kobe , both are around the same age group, both play incredibly well against each other, games usually go down to the wire when the teams meet, and they have a lot of respect for each other.
I would agree in terms of individual greatness during the same time frame but Dirk and Kobe never played each other in the playoffs until last year (Dirk and Mavs 
pimp.gif
 btw) so I don't think you could say Dirk is the closest to Kobe as rival. Aside from regular season match-ups (which a lot of us say doesn't mean much) they didn't have enough battles in the playoffs to establish a true rivalry. 
And
30t6p3b.gif
at whoever wrote that article. The part where it says:  

Iverson came closest, battling it out with Bryant in the 2001 NBA Finals; but 
Iverson's shot-happy ways made even the ultra-aggressive Bryant look tame by 
comparison, and his bad off-court habits relegated him to an afterthought as a 
player a few months after Bryant's Lakers topped Iverson's Nuggets in the 2009 
Western Conference finals 

is inaccurate. Iverson had already been shipped to the Pistons for Chauncy Billups when the Nuggets played the Lakers in the West Finals that year 
laugh.gif

Since he's had his own squad, He hasn't played any great SG/SF in the playoffs repeatedly.

I don't count Ray because he let Vujacic and then Fisher guard him in the finals and Ray wasn't the best player not leader of that Celtics team. Ray isn't a 1on1 player anyway

That version of Kobe (00-04) wasn't even that good though... Kobe became a much better player after that, while TMac really never improved. Shaq was so dominant VC, TMac or AI would have three-peated with him in the paint... starting off your career with a three ring cushion damn near off the bat was a nice luxury to have for Kobe...

Kobe has no rivals? Yeah, he would've been able to talk and bark, and walk. It's sad that no matter what he might've done, he was plagued by a few mistakes and these mistakes were enough to taint this guy. Had he not ran into legal problems, gotten a tattoo, and divorced, KOBE would've been able to maintain himself and craft his own name.

It's a shame, because someone like him had everything going. He was the cleanest cut guy, the baddest, the greatest but he messed up and sooner or later, KOBE will realize he is a pushover and this will be very difficult for him to accept.

Originally Posted by 0cks

That version of Kobe (00-04) wasn't even that good though... Kobe became a much better player after that, while TMac really never improved. Shaq was so dominant VC, TMac or AI would have three-peated with him in the paint... starting off your career with a three ring cushion damn near off the bat was a nice luxury to have for Kobe...

Vince Carter was never on Kobes level, all he could do is score points for a sorry team and dunk, he also lacked heart.

Allen Iverson was a more selfish player than even Kobe, he was also a very undisciplined player.

McGrady probably couldve came close but he didnt have Kobes disclipine, therefore him and Shaq wouldve underacheived.

Just like OP has no rival in posting ugly beasts in General, Kobe has no real rival either.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Originally Posted by 0cks

Vince Carter was never on Kobes level, all he could do is score points for a sorry team and dunk, he also lacked heart.

Allen Iverson was a more selfish player than even Kobe, he was also a very undisciplined player.

McGrady probably couldve came close but he didnt have Kobes disclipine, therefore him and Shaq wouldve underacheived.
Vince came in to the league ready to go, he's always been a great passer and physically one of the stronger 2 guards to ever do it... NBA players used to say he was one of the most difficult players in the league to go up against, ya'll try to downplay dudes career so much on here
laugh.gif

AI was the only scoring option in Philly, if he played with Shaq he would have shot much more efficiently...

McGrady was doing what Durant is doing now and passing much better... you gotta be kidding
laugh.gif

Not any one individual is Kobe's rival. It just worked out that way. I'm sure Kobe would tell you the whole NBA is his rival though.

Plenty of greats have have no "direct" rival, its quite rare in fact.

And Vince, t Mac, and A.I. are not on Kobes level....yes it was arguable for a few years but those dudes had too much of a quick falloff.

A.I. is a hall of famer yes, but T Mac and Vince were damn good players.....you can't just plug them in for an all timer and just automatically assume you'd get the same results. Its not that black/white fam.

Never really liked Kobe but he's right. He's been playing at a high level for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom