Lock

Quote:
What kind of cap do the Nats have? :nerd:
nerd.gif

we've got a ton of money to throw 'round this off-season. front office has said they aren't focused on signing "big names" but i think we are gonna make some major moves. moves that will make us a contender next yr. the nationals are on the come up. :pimp:
pimp.gif

[h3]Miguel Carbera To Drop Weight[/h3]
Miguel Cabrera has spoken to LasMayores.com, the Spanish version of MLB.com. Mike Phillips of the Miami Herald relays the information. Apparently, Cabrera is at least saying that he plans to get into better shape this off-season so that he can "have the best season possible for the team [he ends] up on." He even says that he's been at it for four weeks already.

This would help alleviate universal concerns regarding Cabrera's weight and defensive ability. He'd like to stay with the NL because of his familiarity with it, but AL teams might be more interested, since they can move him to DH in the later years of a potential long-term contract.
"I'd like to stay at third, but if the team feels that it's best for me and everyone that I play somewhere else, that's what I'll do,'' Cabrera said. "I'd have no problem playing first, or even the outfield again, if that's how I can help my team in 2008."

Cabrera ranked third to last for third basemen in Dave Pinto's PMR, ahead of only Ryan Braun and Garrett Atkins, and second to last in Zone Rating, only to Braun. Dropping some weight might help things, but unless he's taking 1,000 ground balls per day like Braun, he could still be a liability at the hot corner.

The Dodgers and the Angels, both with a bevy of young talent, remain the front runners in any potential Miggy trade.

now that A-Rod is off the market, hopefully we can get either one of the Miguels on our team

but I prefer Tejada so he can go into Oakland wearing the right jersey for once
pimp.gif

^halo fan?
ohh its Naija
laugh.gif
i remember the thread u got banned in. welcome back. u can copy and pase the sig if u want.

Tommy Glavine back on the Braves

ATLANTA -- Tom Glavine is coming home.
The 303-game winner returned to the Atlanta Braves on Sunday, agreeing to an $8 million, one-year contract.

The agreement between the two-time NL Cy Young Award winner and the Braves was hammered out during weekend talks, said Glavine's agent, Gregg Clifton. The pitcher already has taken a physical for Atlanta, the final formality in the deal.

[h4]Tom Glavine[/h4]
4122.jpg

Starting Pitcher
New York Mets

[table] 2007 Season Stats [tr][td]GM[/td] [td]W[/td] [td]L[/td] [td]BB[/td] [td]K[/td] [td]ERA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]34[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]64[/td] [td]89[/td] [td]4.45[/td] [/tr][/table]

The Braves needed less than a week to lure Glavine back after an acrimonious split in 2002 that led to him spending five seasons with the New York Mets. His old -- make that new -- team was expected to formally introduce him at a news conference Monday at Turner Field.

"While Tom is disappointed to be leaving New York and all of his friends and teammates there, he has an opportunity to go back to Atlanta to continue his career with the Braves," Clifton told The Associated Press. "Ultimately, as everyone knows, Tom's decision was tremendously influenced by the importance of his family being paramount in his life."

Glavine, who is married and has four children, kept his primary home in suburban Atlanta even after he signed with the Mets, and it was clear the crafty left-hander wanted to finish his career with the Braves when he turned down a $13 million option to return to New York in 2008, taking a $3 million buyout.

He then gave the Braves a bit of a hometown discount, something he wasn't willing to do five years ago. The contract includes no performance bonuses.

Frank Wren, the Braves' new general manager, held his first talks with Clifton on Wednesday in Phoenix. Two days later, the Braves made their initial offer and Clifton reacted positively, a sure sign that a deal wouldn't take long to reach.

The Braves were eager to add depth to a rotation that relied heavily on John Smoltz and Tim Hudson and never settled on reliable options in the fourth and fifth slots. In addition to landing Glavine, they hope for a return to health by Mike Hampton, who missed the last two seasons with injuries. He has started another rehab stint in the Arizona Fall League.

Glavine, who will turn 42 before the start of next season, went 13-8 with a 4.45 ERA in 200 1/3 innings for the Mets this year.

The loss of Glavine to an NL East rival leaves New York looking for another starter to add to its rotation. Free agent Livan Hernandez is a possibility, and the Mets also hope to make a trade pitch for Minnesota ace Johan Santana if the Twins decide they can't re-sign him.

Glavine came up to the Braves in 1987, part of an impressive class of young pitchers that also included Smoltz and Steve Avery. Those three helped the Braves to a remarkable worst-to-first turnaround in 1991, when Atlanta made it all the way to Game 7 of a memorable World Series before losing to Minnesota.

Glavine won the first of his two Cy Young awards with the Braves in '91, which also was the first of five 20-win seasons he had the team. He won a career-best 22 games in 1993, and added another Cy Young award in 1998 when he went 20-6.

The Braves won 11 of their record 14 straight division titles with Glavine on the mound, and he was the MVP of their only World Series championship during that run, a six-game triumph over the Cleveland Indians in 1995.

Glavine won two games in that series, including a 1-0 triumph in Game 6. He allowed only on hit in eight innings before Mark Wohlers got the final three outs.

Getting by with pinpoint control and a devastating changeup, Glavine seemed destined to spend his entire career in Atlanta. But he refused to take an offer with millions in deferred payments and not as much guaranteed money after going 18-11 with a 2.96 ERA in 2002.

Signing a four-year, $42.5 million contract with the Mets, Glavine failed to match the numbers he put up in Atlanta. He went 9-14 in 2003, his first losing season since 1990, and never won more than 15 games with the Mets.

He did get another chance to pitch in the postseason in 2006, going six scoreless innings to win a division series game against Los Angeles and seven scoreless innings for another win in Game 1 of the NL championship series against St. Louis.

Glavine took the loss in Game 5, and the Mets fell to the Cardinals in seven games. Shortly afterward, he re-signed with the Mets, never getting a hoped-for offer from the Braves, who didn't have enough money under their reduced payroll to make a serious bid.

Atlanta is in more of a spending mood this winter after deciding not to re-sign Gold Glove center fielder Andruw Jones and dealing shortstop Edgar Renteria to Detroit for prospects.

Glavine joined the 300-win club on Aug. 5 with a win over the Cubs, but his final start in New York was abysmal: The lefty allowed seven runs in the first inning, getting only one out in the second-shortest start of his career.

The 8-1 loss to Florida in the regular-season finale completed the Mets' historic September collapse, giving the NL East title to Philadelphia.

Glavine decided he didn't want to go out like that, and any thoughts of retirement were abandoned when the Braves called.

Luis Castillo locked up in NY for four years, $25 million.

NEW YORK -- Second baseman Luis Castillo decided to stay with the New York Mets, reaching a preliminary agreement Sunday night on a $25 million, four-year contract.
5676.jpg

Castillo
Castillo must pass a physical for the deal to be finalized, a person with knowledge of the talks said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the team had not made an announcement.
The three-time All-Star hit .296 for the Mets with 10 steals and 20 RBIs for the Mets, who acquired him from Minnesota on July 30. He batted .304 with 18 RBIs for the Twins.

Castillo also won three Gold Gloves and provided steady defense up the middle with shortstop Jose Reyes despite playing on a sore knee that limited his speed. While Castillo struck out for the final out of the season and completed the Mets' collapse from a seven-game NL East lead, the 32-year-old infielder hit .316 in September.

Castillo's preliminary agreement came the same day that two-time Cy Young Award winner Tom Glavine decided to leave the Mets and return to the Atlanta Braves, his original team.

Glavine, who lives in the Atlanta area, was given an $8 million, one-year contract by the Mets' NL East rival after turning down a $13 million option to stay with New York and receiving a $3 million buyout.

On a busy weekend, the Mets also broke off talks with free-agent catcher Yorvit Torrealba, who was set to replace Paul Lo Duca as the team's regular starter. The sides had reached a preliminary agreement last week on a $14.4 million, three-year contract that was subject to a physical.

Glavine's departure leaves the Mets searching for even more starting pitching in a market that is thin. Livan Hernandez, a free agent, is one possibility. If Minnesota can't re-sign Johan Santana, who can become a free agent after next season, the Mets are interested in trying to work out a trade for the two-time AL Cy Young Award winner.

It was fun while it lasted, Glavine, but you choked down the stretch. I'm glad we're keeping Castillo, he really anchored the infield defense. Also,i'm glad the Mets are backing out of signing Torrealba. I don't think he's going to pan out.

Torrealba is trash, and good riddance to Glavine,

Can't wait to see the Mets eat up those soft change ups he can't even get over the corners anymore.
laugh.gif

Good keeping Castillo. I don't see what other major moves Omar could do really, the FA market is weak, the Braves are getting weaker (no Andrew, Renteriais gone, etc), and the Phillies will probably remain the same (Lidge is a great signing for the opposition lol). The offense was not an issue last season, itwas the pitching down the final stretch. I want to see more young arms in the bullpen, and get rid of Mota.

So glad Castillo is staying. That was the biggest offensive/defensive offseason move the Mets needed to make. And yes, Torrealba is trash. He hit ONE clutchhome-run in the postseason for the Rockies, lets not make a dumb mistake.

Anyway, more news:

John Garland (SP - ChiTown White Sox) traded for Orlando Cabrera (SS GG - LA Angels)

CHICAGO -- The White Sox traded right-hander Jon Garland to the Los Angeles Angels on Monday for shortstop Orlando Cabrera.

The 28-year-old Garland, an 18-game winner in 2005 and 2006, was 10-13 with a 4.23 ERA in 32 starts last season. He 92-81 with a 4.41 ERA in 246 games, including 223 starts, over eight major league seasons, all with the White Sox.

Garland was acquired by the White Sox from the Cubs on July 29, 1998, for pitcher Matt Karchner.

Cabrera, 33, batted .301 with 35 doubles, eight home runs, 86 RBIs and a career-high 101 runs with the Angels last year. He had a career-high 192 hits.

He won his second Gold Glove and led AL shortstops in fielding percentage (.983). Cabrera, who has also played with Montreal and Boston during his 11-year career, is a career .273 hitter. He was on the 2004 Red Sox team that won the World Series.

Chicago also receives cash as part of the trade.

Garland had just one magical season. Tons of average-good pitchers have that one great season and fall back to normal form. IMO, the WhiteSox come out on top.

Angels fans...Tell me what you know about Warren Madrigal...The Rangers signed him over the weekend, apparently by some mistake within the Angels front officeinvolving the 40 man...Seems like alot of Angels fans aren't happy about losing him...

Garland will be better in Anaheim than he was in Chicago. Does this mean one of the kids is on their way to a full-time job next year?

Glavine is an excellent pickup for the Braves. Hopefully he'll provide us a need to complement Tim Hudson and John Smoltz as well as be a mentor to ChuckJames and Jo-Jo Reyes.

All I want out of Glavine is 200 IP. If his ERA is decent, that's a bonus.

The Angels traded, Orlandon Cabrera,
eek.gif

I don't know if I agree with the move, Garland is a good pitcher, but Cabrera solidified the Angels middle infield and was a solid hitter. They are in thehunt for Miguel Cabrera, and the Marlins are asking for their prized middle infielders as well, Brandon Wood and Howie Kendrick. Cabrera is 33 and nearing thelast year of his contract, but I don't know if I would trade a gold glove, .300 hitting SS, plus he had good chemistry. Eckstein is a fan favorite, but heis no where near as good as Cabrera. Plus, how many "scrappy" players do the Angels need, I thought Reggie Willitts was David Eckstein II.

White Sox Trade Jon Garland For Orlando Cabrera

According to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox acquired shortstop Orlando Cabrera for starter Jon Garland today.

In a vacuum, this seems like a pretty even swap to me. Just comparing the two players involved, it's fair. Garland is a solid if not spectacular starter, and Cabrera is the same at shortstop. Both players' contracts run through 2008. Garland is at $12MM and Cabrera $9MM, so the Sox save a few bucks here. Plus, they will get some cash from the Angels.

But trades aren't made in a vacuum; you have to look at their effects on the teams involved.

The White Sox will seemingly put Juan Uribe at second base, if they don't trade him. They could potentially have one of the game's finest defensive double play combinations. And Cabrera's .345 OBP last year, while nothing amazing, is good for a shortstop and looks great for an OBP-starved team like the Sox. The question is whether the Sox can sustain the loss of Garland in the rotation. They'll now go with Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Danks, and maybe Gavin Floyd or Gio Gonzalez. That group could work but you could see Contreras and the kids flopping and Buehrle coming back down to Earth.

Kenny Williams has shown some ability to dig up starting pitching, so maybe he's playing to his strength. How about the return of Bartolo Colon?

The Angels now have an embarrassment of starting pitching. They've got Lackey, Escobar, Weaver, Garland, Saunders, and Ervin Santana. Nick Adenhart should be around soon also. The Angels may now be compelled to flip Santana for a bat. Meanwhile they have plenty of solid options at shortstop with Brandon Wood, Erick Aybar, Chone Figgins, and Maicer Izturis. I think the Angels can handle the loss of Cabrera better than the Sox can handle the loss of Garland. U.S.S. Mariner, however, names the White Sox the winner.
frown.gif
embarassed.gif
bittersweet moment. I hate going against Garland but OC was the heart ofthe team
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

The Angels traded, Orlandon Cabrera,
eek.gif

I don't know if I agree with the move, Garland is a good pitcher, but Cabrera solidified the Angels middle infield and was a solid hitter. They are in the hunt for Miguel Cabrera, and the Marlins are asking for their prized middle infielders as well, Brandon Wood and Howie Kendrick. Cabrera is 33 and nearing the last year of his contract, but I don't know if I would trade a gold glove, .300 hitting SS, plus he had good chemistry. Eckstein is a fan favorite, but he is no where near as good as Cabrera. Plus, how many "scrappy" players do the Angels need, I thought Reggie Willitts was David Eckstein II.

I know what u mean but then again, we have Izzy, Aybar, Wood all waiting to get some real playing time and i think Reagins is just setting up some type oftrade involving Santana. Reagins all ready showed more 'guts' than Stoneman with this move so i'll give him that.

All I want out of Glavine is 200 IP. If his ERA is decent, that's a bonus.
He can still pitch 200 innings, but that doesn't mean he is effective doing so.

reagins has some balls for making that trade. hopefully this leads to something bigger cuz we just lost the heart and soul of the team
frown.gif

[h3]Nationals After Dukes,Again[/h3] The Washington Nationals are actively pursuing troubled Devil Rays prospect ElijahDukes. Dukes has been the topic of many trades because he would bring back something in return, and his off the field scuffles are upsetting the team andthe Front Office. Dukes would fit nice in Washington. He would be able to step into a leading role with the team and benefit from Manny Acta's style of play. Not only that, but he is playing in the Dominican Republic with Nats third base coach Tim Tolman, and isbeing scouted by Nats manager Manny Acta. Furthermore, Jim Bowden is known for giving troubled starsanother shot. He signed Dmitri Young and Ronnie Belliard, both who had trouble in the off seasonor the season before. Dmitri Young was released by the Tigers because he was struggling and had some attitude problems while Belliard had some off the field problems. Bringing in Dukes would help the team and could revitalized his troubled start in theMLB. It would also clear his off the field image and a change of scenery, although it is not toa contender, would allow him to start fresh and grow into the ball player he is capable of becoming in a low media environment.

BRING DUKES TO DC! if my dude dukes became a nat he would INSTANTLY become my favorite player. he's got more talent than any young player in baseball(sorry zimmerman). he just desperately needs out of tampa. when he does flee from tampa, i guarantee he flourishes into a star. he's got beast of a bat.i've never seen someone smoke a baseball like he did at yankee stadium this yr. it was a laser!
eek.gif
he could immediately start in center for us.

he's got more talent than any young player in baseball (sorry zimmerman).
Whoa....

He is talented, but not more talented "than any young player". I don't think he has the type of baggage you can leave behind. He needs morethan a change of scenery.

he's got more talent than any young player in baseball (sorry zimmerman).
714c75i.jpg

Hanley Ramirez, Ryan Braun, Alex Gordon, Joey Votto (yes homer)....there are soooooooo many. The young talent in baseball right now is so dumb. The next waveof superstars looks very promising.
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom