Lock

I don't understand why the Mets have not even OFFERED Lo Duca any sort of a contract, even a 1 or 2 yr deal or SOMETHING. The FA market for catchers isjust pathetic...Torrealba, Miguel Olivo? Yeah right.

^ I have a feeling he's going to be offered a 2-year contract sometime next month. The FA crop for catchers is hideous.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I don't understand why the Mets have not even OFFERED Lo Duca any sort of a contract, even a 1 or 2 yr deal or SOMETHING. The FA market for catchers is just pathetic...Torrealba, Miguel Olivo? Yeah right.
Trade for Gerald Laird...
smile.gif

There are also rumors around Rangers boards that Saltalamacchia could be available for the right price. I think I said earlier in this thread they didn'tfeel very confident he will be a catcher 2-3 years from now, and with Taylor Teagarden emerging a bit in AA this past year, Salty could be supplanted anyways.If they can land a top-flight OF prospect, I think they'd move Salty no question.

And I'm hoping like hell the Rangers lose out on Torii Hunter. He's a good player, but he's going to be overpaid and having 30+ million locked upin him and Michael Young 3-4 years from now is a terrible look...If the Rangers are really rebuilding, leave Hunter alone. Let Mike get out to a big start in2008, and move him at the break to a contender. Pay some of the contract if necessary, but just make the move.

[h3]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/11/miguel-cabrera.html[/h3]
[h3]Miguel Cabrera Rumors[/h3]
I think it's about time to dissect the Miguel Cabrera situation, don't you? The Angels, Dodgers, Giants, White Sox, and maybe the Rangers are battling to acquire him.

Five days ago, the Angels were the frontrunners. It was even suggested a trade could be completed by Thanksgiving. But according to Ken Rosenthal, the Dodgers now have the lead. It may require Matt Kemp, Andy LaRoche, and Clayton Kershaw. Now that's quality.

Rosenthal has a source saying the Halos may counter with Ervin Santana, Howie Kendrick, Chris Bootcheck, and Nick Adenhart. It's thought that the Angels' acquisition of Jon Garland frees them up to trade a starter or two. Many other Angels interest the Marlins - Joe Saunders, Brandon Wood, Mike Napoli, Jeff Mathis, or Reggie Willits could enter the picture. Miguel Tejada is said to be the Angels' fallback option.

The proposed White Sox package of Josh Fields, Ryan Sweeney, and Gio Gonzalez just doesn't seem comparable to the above.
Should the Dodgers give up Kemp to snag Cabrera, they'll then sign a free agent center fielder. Aaron Rowand is the flavor of the week.

Whoever pays for Aaron Rowand is a fool...

Contract year + that ballpark he was in = Career Year

Mets acquire catcher Johnny Estrada

The New York Mets announced today that they have acquired catcher Johnny Estrada from the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for righthanded pitcher Guillermo Mota. "Johnny adds depth to our catching situation," said Mets General Manager Omar Minaya. "He's a former All-Star who switch-hits and has hit over .300 three times in his career." Estrada, 31, hit .278 (123-for-442) with 40 runs scored, 25 doubles, 10 home runs and 54 RBI in 120 games with the Brewers last year. The 5-11, 209-pounder batted .313 (42-for-134) vs. lefthanded pitchers and hit .297 (60-202) with runners in scoring position last season. Johnny also constructed .313 (31-for-99) mark with four home runs and eight RBI against National League East opponents in 2007.

He underwent arthroscopic surgery on October 4th to repair the torn medial meniscus in his left knee and also had a bone spur removed from his right elbow. The surgeries were performed by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, AL. Estrada has batted .280 (567-for-2,026) with 198 runs scored, 129 doubles, 42 home runs, 281 RBI in 589 major league games with Philadelphia, Atlanta, Arizona and Milwaukee. Johnny was named to the 2004 National League All-Star team. In addition, he has hit .333 (7-for-21) with two home runs and five RBI in six postseason games in 2004-2005 while with Atlanta. Estrada has compiled a .297 (272-for-915) batting average during his career with runners on base and has hit .353 (18-51) with the bases loaded. Mota, 34, went 2-2 with a 5.76 ERA in 52 games with New York last season. In 59.1 innings, he allowed 63 hits, 39 runs, 38 earned, with 18 walks and 47 strikeouts.

- Omar gets rid of Mota......plus 1

- Omar gets younger at the catcher position and fills a void....plus 2

- Omar gets rid of Mota.....plus 3

-Did I mention Omar got rid of Mota? .....plus 4

Other notes:

- Mets have 2b and catcher locked up, getting A-Rod would have been nice just for the fact that Delgado and Alou are in their last years, so we would need apower bat in the lineup eventually, but the young guys will have much more playing time.Locking up Marlon Anderson for 2 years really solidifies our bench,which has been one of the best in the NL the past two seasons.

- Carlos Gomez is tearing it up in Winter Ball, he's had a couple of multi-hit games so far, and they even intentionally walked dude.
laugh.gif

- Duaner Sanchez is scheduled to start pitching winter baseball next month,if he is half the pitcher he was the pen would already be upgraded (since he'sbasically replacing Mota). Mets would have won the chip in 06' if he didn't get in that cab, and that's the truth.

That is all, good day.

PS: Sticky this thread already, whats with the hold up?

COLETTI PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE DO NOT GIVE UP KEMP OR LONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smh.gif

PS: Sticky this thread already, whats with the hold up?

told you guys, if its not NFL or NBA the "other sports" dont get any shine on NT

Mez 0ne: Don't expect big things from Johnny Estrada he hasn't been the same player since the day he leftthe Braves the reason why he isn't the same player is because of Erstad of the Angels ruined Estrada's career when he tackled him at the plate hard andhe hasn't been the same that was why the Braves traded him because he was damaged goods. I think Estrada is an upgrade from any catcher the Mets werelooking at, but his best years are behind him Estrada's last all star year was 2004 with the Braves. That was a stupid trade that the Brewers did who wantsa steroid user in Mota and he isn't even good. Brewers took the L

Estrada had a .300+ hitting average in 2006, and a .280 avg during an injury plagued 2007 season.

Hes basically a younger Lo Duca, who the Mets got for FREE by getting rid of Mota. Its a great signing and an upgrade.

As for the rest of the winter talks, Mets are far from done in revamping the team.I don't expect huge, franchise-type player trades..... buttrades/signings that will make the team more deep.

Thank god Estrada is gone, the only thing he can do is hit. He's the slowest runner ever and can't throw any base runners out. He is good at blockingpitches in the dirt though I'll give him that. Glad he's gone.

The New York Mets announced today that they have acquired catcher Johnny Estrada from the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for righthanded pitcher Guillermo Mota.

TigerWoods.jpg
img.40938_t.jpg

334864.jpg

Messier_celeb.jpg

110604_gaaa_a.jpg

8_484HR.jpg

_42279028_shiawoman_ap.jpg

0,,1862374_4,00.jpg

57162692.jpg

We got rid of by far the WORST relief pitcher in the league for a STARTING CATCHER who is far batter than ANY free agent catcher in the market. Yeah, i'mkinda happy.

COLETTI PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE DO NOT GIVE UP KEMP OR LONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rest assured that Loney isn't going anywhere.

Kemp will be gone in any deal involving a big name (Bedard/Cabrera). I like the package for Cabrera that is on the table, although it would suck to give upKershaw. Eventually, I think the Angels are going to get Cabrera. Rumor has it that they are raising the stakes with a package of 4 players (Santana,Adenhart, Napoli/Mathis, Kendrick).

I don't know who won in the Estrada-Mota trade. Mota is done, IMO. Estrada is a good hitter, slow on the basepaths and a defensive liability. Hedoesn't have an arm and his game calling skills have been questioned.

I read on SI.com that the mets are open to trading young guys like Milledge, Pelfrey and Gomez for some pitching. I hope this isnt true. Anyone else hear this?

kendrick is untouchable.
Kendrick is like Matt Kemp. The teams don't want to part with them, but they know in order to get the big bat they need, they will have to beshipped out.

Kemp is a centerpiece to the Cabrera/Bedard deal.
Kendrick is a centerpiece to the Cabrera/Tejada deal.

Unless the Angels and Dodgers stand pat, these guys are gone.

Sources: Cabrera could be traded soon

Miguel Cabrera could be traded by Thanksgiving if one of the Los Angeles-based teams jumps.
The Angels continued pushing for a deal Tuesday, major-league sources say, and the Dodgers continued balking at the Marlins' price.
Both teams are one player away from completing a trade, the sources say, and the White Sox and Indians remain on the fringes of the Cabrera sweepstakes.

The Marlins want both outfielder Matt Kemp and Class AA left-hander Clayton Kershaw included in a four-player package from the Dodgers.

From the Angels, the Marlins are insisting upon second baseman Howie Kendrick and possibly Class AA right-hander Nick Adenhart in a similar four-player return.

The Dodgers, according to a source, are wary of giving up both Kemp, a potential 30-homer, 30-stolen base man, and Kershaw, a potential No. 1 or 2 starter, for Cabrera, whose weight and lifestyle concerns many clubs.

The Angels, under new general manager Tony Reagins, appear more inclined to make a deal, believing that Cabrera would respond favorably to manager Mike Scioscia and show more accountability in the team's highly professional environment.

The Angels, according to a rival executive, have offered a strong package - Kendrick, right-hander Ervin Santana, right-handed reliever Chris Bootcheck and another player, possibly Adenhart.

Two other sources, however, say the Angels did not offer that combination of names. And the Marlins probably would not want Santana, who is only a year away from arbitration and 7-16 with a 7.06 ERA on the road the past two seasons.

The Angels created a surplus of pitching Monday by acquiring right-hander Jon Garland from the White Sox for shortstop Orlando Cabrera. The move was widely interpreted as a step toward landing Miguel Cabrera, who is no relation to Orlando.

The Dodgers have long resisted trading their premium young talent. But after hiring Joe Torre as manager, it would stand to reason that they are more interested in swinging a blockbuster to improve their immediate chances.

The Marlins first showed heavy interest in Kemp last spring, but at that time the Dodgers deemed him untouchable. It remains to be seen whether the availability of Cabrera - combined with questions about Kemp's attitude - will lead the Dodgers to alter their stance.

If the Dodgers traded Kemp, it would increase the likelihood that they would sign a free-agent center fielder and move Juan Pierre to left field. The club, however, is concerned that the prices for Torii Hunter, Aaron Rowand and Andruw Jones could grow exorbitant, and might prefer a more affordable option such as Mike Cameron, sources say.

The additions of any of those players plus Cabrera would give Torre a far more potent lineup than the Dodgers had last season, when they finished 10th in the National League in runs scored under Grady Little.

The failure to land Cabrera, on the other hand, would amount to another failed quest by the Dodgers for a big bat - and become all the more embarrassing if Cabrera landed with the Angels.

The White Sox remain in the mix for Cabrera, but probably can not offer the same quality of prospects as the Dodgers and Angels. The Marlins likely would demand the cream of the White Sox's system - third baseman Josh Fields, outfielder Ryan Sweeney and left-hander Gio Gonzalez.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

The Indians signed that hot-dog eating dude to come out of the bullpen.
[h1]Indians agree to two-year contract with Japanese closer Masahide Kobayashi

CLEVELAND - Not to be confused with his hot-dog chomping countryman, this Kobayashi might make late innings easier to stomach for the Cleveland Indians.[/h1]
laugh.gif

its a nervous time rightnow being a dodger fan. i dont wanna see a Pedro or Konerko part II unfold in front of my eyes once again
smh.gif

i dont wanna see a Pedro or Konerko part II unfold in front of my eyes once again
They are not trading Kemp for a Delino Deshields.

Konerko? That was a good deal, Konerko for Jeff Shaw.

I hope the Dodgers pull the trigger for Cabrera...

Kemp, Laroche, and Kershaw seems good.

Kershaw may be a stud but you got to give up something to get something....

^^^
I'm actually hoping they don't, the Marlins are fleecing the Dodgers and the Angels in any deal.

All I hear on the three (plus they want one more.), is that they are going to be very special. Kemp played in almost 100 games last year and was nearly a .350hitter (.342) with pop.

La Roche will be good if he gets a chance next year, he was injured when he was brought up, which might have hurt his value. He has been on a tear this winter.

All I keep hearing on Kershaw is that he is going to be something special, as soon as 2009.

I think the Dodgers should sign a CF, preferably Andruw Jones, move Pierre to LF and trade Kemp (I don't want to see him go either, but in order to get aquality pitcher he will have to be a part of the deal). If the Dodgers whiff on Cabrera, I could see them working out a deal for D-Train. You are looking ata good lineup.

1. Furcal - SS
2. Pierre - LF
3. Jones - CF
4. Kent - 2B
5. Loney - 1B
6. Martin - C
7. Ethier - RF
8. Garciaparra/La Roche - 3B

Rotation
1 . Penny
2. Bedard/D-Train (Bedard might sign an extension with the O's)
3. Lowe
4. Billingsley
5. Schmidt/Loaiza/Wolf?

Back
Top Bottom