Michael Jordan Calf Sleeve

I'm going to be a jerk and ask you a few questions. If you are able to answer the questions I will facilitate your question and provide you an answer.

Why do you "need one to play"? What purpose will it serve you? Are you wearing it to serve a specific purpose or because MJ wore one?

To answer half your question: Yes, I have several. Yes, I wear one from time to time when I play (to serve a specific purpose, not because MJ wore one). Plus, I have one the man himself wore.

-NF

i had to use a small one when i played back in the day cause i had Osgood Slaughter's (spelling) in my right knee and it helped keep the swelling andirritation down.

I wear one on my right leg because i pulled muscles during my last season
no i don't want one because MJ wore one i need one for my strain

I'm pretty sure it was just a neoprene kneepad that he wore a little lower than on his knee...

Just go to modells or something and buy one...

K20LEE had the right answer:
OsgoodSlaughter Disease is the inflammation of the patellar tendon where the knee meets the top of the tibia (shinbone). The condition is caused by stress on the tendon that attaches the muscle at the front of the thigh to the tibia. It is probably caused by the powerful quadriceps musclepulling on the attachment point of the patellar tendon during running activities such as soccer,basketball, track and other sports and in gymnastics and ballet.

The symptoms associated with Osgood Slaughter Disease is swelling and tenderness in the knee joint. It is most common in activechildren aged 10-15. It is the most common source of knee pain in children. Both males and females areequally vulnerable now, but at one time, the condition was found mainly in boys. It is always characterized by activity-related painthat is located a few inches below the knee cap. Sports that require a lot of running, jumping kneeling and squatting are particularly associated with OsgoodSlaughter Disease.

The three main factors of the disease are:

1. The child is between 10 and 15 years old

2. The child is involved in youth sports

3. The child is in a 'growth spurt'

The disease was named after two physicians who defined the disease in 1903. About 2 million boys and girls in the United States contract Osgood-Slaughter Disease yearly.

The following link will provide you a few options:
Calf Sleeve

The MJ game used sleeve I have is made by Grid. MJ would fold the top of the sleeve down for two reasons:
1) Concealing the brand name, Grid, from public display.
2) Displaying the inner red color creating a trademark image.

thank you very much for this information
is there a website were i can get one of these and were did you get yours
the one that you have is it a black and red on that he actually wore

i play with a couple of them. they ones i have are made by mcdavid. i think the site is mcdavidusa.com. dwade is one of the flagship sponsors for them. theywork but after a while i was relying on them too much so i quit playing with them on.

I wore one for a while when I tore the muscle in my calf. Everybody thought I was trying to be LIKE MIKE

i had Osgood Slaughter's growing up also, those sleeves are helpful

mithu aka the ambassador

Thanks for the info nickfairclough. I was wondering why my knee would swell up after I played 1-2 hours of basketball. Quick question: So if I wear a calfsleeve during basketball games, will my knee be fine after? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by 23AirJacobs23

thank you very much for this information
is there a website were i can get one of these and were did you get yours
the one that you have is it a black and red on that he actually wore
i'm fairly certain GRID has either gone out of business or was purchased by someone else.

i got mine from a charity auction many, many years ago. mine was sold as a Jordan game-worn sleeve, though it looks like it was never used.

I used to wear one cuz MJ did it and it looked awesome with Jordans.
laugh.gif
grin.gif

P.S...... It felt good on my calf though

Originally Posted by Face82

I used to wear one cuz MJ did it and it looked awesome with Jordans.
laugh.gif
grin.gif
Did the same.My pops use to always tell "dont wear that unless you really need it" I didnt stop.

I wore mine cuz I had severe shin splints, kept my legs warm and I no longer get shin splints ne more

it was made by GRID, but i dont think it was a calf sleeve, i believe it was actually just a knee brace.

It wasnt a Calf Sleeve. It was the same kind of knee pad that he wore on his knee early in his career. Later on in his career he just wore it a little belowhis knee..

no. Your knee may not be used to the wear and tear of bball. Ice it after you play and take ibuprofen. A calf sleeve won't help your knee.

i think I have the Osgood Slaughter Disease, but my knee doesn't bother me. I had it checked out like 6 years ago, but now No pain, it just still has thelump, will it ever go away? is it hereditary, my dad seems to have it on his leg too.

Back
Top Bottom