Military officers?

I know NT has a good # of military folks but was wondering if there are any officers. If so, speak about your experiences (OCS or commissioning post if you went, a day in the life of an officer, etc.) if you can. I've been thinking about going the Naval officer route now that I have my degree.

I know NT has a good # of military folks but was wondering if there are any officers. If so, speak about your experiences (OCS or commissioning post if you went, a day in the life of an officer, etc.) if you can. I've been thinking about going the Naval officer route now that I have my degree.

i commissioned in may from air force academy, ive taken dumb courses and been tasked with meaningless jobs since then while i wait for pilot training to start. pay is good but other than that it kinda sucks right now

i commissioned in may from air force academy, ive taken dumb courses and been tasked with meaningless jobs since then while i wait for pilot training to start. pay is good but other than that it kinda sucks right now

Not an Occifer
tongue.gif
, but I do have some key nuggets for you. There are three major ways to become an Officer and I'll go through them briefly.

You have the ROTC route...basically you are a college student that is enrolled into a commissioned officer curriculum if you will. Basically during the summers you go away to various leadership courses and if you are really High Speed you can even go to the Ranger course. As a matter of fact I met a ROTC cadet that was lucky enough to attend and complete the Special Forces Combat Divers Course...that course is one of the hardest in the Army and is not much different than what SEALS do. At the end of ROTC you get commissioned as a Second Lieutenant at your graduation Ceremony. Officers who came via the ROTC route are hit or miss as officers because some schools have slack ROTC programs...while others are top notch. NCO's (basically E5 Sergeants or above) sometimes hate when some cocky young ROTC-made Officer comes in as a Platoon leader and thinks he knows everything. Technically a Sergeant of 10-20 years of experience still has to salute an officer and call him Sir...no matter if the Officer just came from college or was a 3-Star General.

You have the Green to Gold program...that is when an Enlisted soldier, usually a Sergeant or above goes to college for 4 years and joins the ROTC program and becomes a commissioned Officer. These guys are thoroughly respected...because they were once soldiers with at least 4-5 years experience as enlisted personnel. So basically they usually have a more down to earth perspective and leadership experience by the time they are commissioned as officers.

Then you have OCS (Officer Candidate School). These guys are very well respected in the community because they are the only Officers that go through a dedicated and compressed training regiment in order to obtain their commission. OCS is held at Fort Benning and it is pretty challenging. Unlike ROTC where training is spread out over 2-3 school years and the summers between them, OCS is a straight through non-stop course. Also before you even start OCS you must complete Basic Training first before going to OCS. The academic portion is as challenging or even moreso than the physical portion.

The other ways include attending a Service Academy like West Point, the Citadel, Texas A&M and so forth. Also a way that hasn't been used much is a direct battlefield commission where an enlisted person is promoted on the spot so to speak to an Officer due to circumstances that require it. This was used more back in the days though.

An Officer is a leader from day ONE. They are the strategic planners, the big picture guys, the commanders. In comparison Enlisted Non Commissioned Officers are more of the tactical day to day leaders/motivators. Enlisted personnel aren't leaders from the beginning so to speak, but they progress into that role if they so choose.

Officer's in different branches have different experiences. It is said that the most exciting Officer opportunities lie in the Army and the Marines. They are the most respected of the Officer ranks. Air Force Officers hodl rank of course, but unless they are pilots or CCT's or Pararescuse then their careers can be blah. Navy Officers can be cool...if you eventually go onto to command your own ship as a Captain (equivalent to a Colonel in the other armed forces).

Male Army Officers who branch Infantry and attend and pass Ranger School  usually have pretty good career paths and great promotion opportunities.

Not an Occifer
tongue.gif
, but I do have some key nuggets for you. There are three major ways to become an Officer and I'll go through them briefly.

You have the ROTC route...basically you are a college student that is enrolled into a commissioned officer curriculum if you will. Basically during the summers you go away to various leadership courses and if you are really High Speed you can even go to the Ranger course. As a matter of fact I met a ROTC cadet that was lucky enough to attend and complete the Special Forces Combat Divers Course...that course is one of the hardest in the Army and is not much different than what SEALS do. At the end of ROTC you get commissioned as a Second Lieutenant at your graduation Ceremony. Officers who came via the ROTC route are hit or miss as officers because some schools have slack ROTC programs...while others are top notch. NCO's (basically E5 Sergeants or above) sometimes hate when some cocky young ROTC-made Officer comes in as a Platoon leader and thinks he knows everything. Technically a Sergeant of 10-20 years of experience still has to salute an officer and call him Sir...no matter if the Officer just came from college or was a 3-Star General.

You have the Green to Gold program...that is when an Enlisted soldier, usually a Sergeant or above goes to college for 4 years and joins the ROTC program and becomes a commissioned Officer. These guys are thoroughly respected...because they were once soldiers with at least 4-5 years experience as enlisted personnel. So basically they usually have a more down to earth perspective and leadership experience by the time they are commissioned as officers.

Then you have OCS (Officer Candidate School). These guys are very well respected in the community because they are the only Officers that go through a dedicated and compressed training regiment in order to obtain their commission. OCS is held at Fort Benning and it is pretty challenging. Unlike ROTC where training is spread out over 2-3 school years and the summers between them, OCS is a straight through non-stop course. Also before you even start OCS you must complete Basic Training first before going to OCS. The academic portion is as challenging or even moreso than the physical portion.

The other ways include attending a Service Academy like West Point, the Citadel, Texas A&M and so forth. Also a way that hasn't been used much is a direct battlefield commission where an enlisted person is promoted on the spot so to speak to an Officer due to circumstances that require it. This was used more back in the days though.

An Officer is a leader from day ONE. They are the strategic planners, the big picture guys, the commanders. In comparison Enlisted Non Commissioned Officers are more of the tactical day to day leaders/motivators. Enlisted personnel aren't leaders from the beginning so to speak, but they progress into that role if they so choose.

Officer's in different branches have different experiences. It is said that the most exciting Officer opportunities lie in the Army and the Marines. They are the most respected of the Officer ranks. Air Force Officers hodl rank of course, but unless they are pilots or CCT's or Pararescuse then their careers can be blah. Navy Officers can be cool...if you eventually go onto to command your own ship as a Captain (equivalent to a Colonel in the other armed forces).

Male Army Officers who branch Infantry and attend and pass Ranger School  usually have pretty good career paths and great promotion opportunities.

As far as the day in the life of an Officer...well you'll attend a lot of meetings, briefings, plannings, and special events. In the Navy you'll more than likely do some sea duty...hopefully you get to be on a sexy boat. Don't piss anyone off, or you might get a small crappy boat to be on 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. If you are an Officer in the warzone than you will have more responsibility and direct leadership roles. 

As far as the day in the life of an Officer...well you'll attend a lot of meetings, briefings, plannings, and special events. In the Navy you'll more than likely do some sea duty...hopefully you get to be on a sexy boat. Don't piss anyone off, or you might get a small crappy boat to be on 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. If you are an Officer in the warzone than you will have more responsibility and direct leadership roles. 

Going to grave dig this thread. 

I just completed my masters degree and I'm considering joining the armed forces as a social worker. I would like to hear from any officers on NT. I have a small family and I'm worried about being bounced all around the globe and such. I'm also looking for info about the different branches and up's and downs of each service. 

Should have put your question in the military thread famb. They give pretty good info in there and reply to inquires pretty quickly.

Going to grave dig this thread. 

I just completed my masters degree and I'm considering joining the armed forces as a social worker. I would like to hear from any officers on NT. I have a small family and I'm worried about being bounced all around the globe and such. I'm also looking for info about the different branches and up's and downs of each service. 

Why the military if you're not looking forward to moving?

Back
Top Bottom