Much Props to Michael Irvin for standing up for marriage equality

foxdawg2000

Supporter
Courtesy of Out MagazineMichael Irvin appears on the latest cover of Out Magazine. He tells the publication that he would support any athlete who comes out.

Irvin publicly acknowledges that the impetus for taking a stand comes from his relationship with his gay brother, Vaughn, who died of stomach cancer in 2006. Irvin had not spoken publicly about his brother previously, according to the magazine.

In the article, Irvin describes how his brother's sexual orientation contributed to his own issues.

He says that he found out his brother was gay in the late 1970s, when he found Vaughn wearing women's clothing. Michael Irvin was rattled by the experience and has figured out since that it contributed to his own womanizing behavior. Working with a Dallas area bishop, T.D. Jakes, Irvin looked at the past.

"And through it all we realized maybe some of the issues I've had with so many women, just bringing women around so everybody can see, maybe that's the residual of the fear I had that if my brother is wearing ladies' clothes, am I going to be doing that? Is it genetic?" Irvin said to Out. "I'm certainly not making excuses for my bad decisions. But I had to dive inside of me to find out why am I making these decisions, and that came up."

Irvin says that his father, Walter, helped him learn a tolerant form of Christianity because the elder Irvin accepted his gay son and encouraged him to love his brother unconditionally.

Irvin now believes the African-American community should support marriage equality.

"I don't see how any African-American, with any inkling of history, can say that you don't have the right to live your life how you want to live your life," he said, according to the magazine. "No one should be telling you who you should love, no one should be telling you who you should be spending the rest of your life with. When we start talking about equality, and everybody being treated equally, I don't want to know an African-American who will say everybody doesn't deserve equality."
The Hall of Fame wide receiver believes that this work matters more than his football career.
"The last thing I want is to go to God and have him ask, 'What did you do?' And I talk about winning Super Bowls and national titles," Irvin said, according to Out. "I didn't do anything to make it a better world before I left? All I got is Super Bowls? That would be scary."

Irvin would support any athlete who wants to come out.

"If anyone comes out in those top four major sports, I will absolutely support him. ... When a guy steps up and says, 'This is who I am,' I guarantee you I'll give him 100 percent support," Irvin said.

And if the player produced on the field, he would have supported a gay teammate as well. Winning was paramount.

"I believe, if a teammate had said he's gay, we would have integrated him and kept moving because of the closeness," Irvin said, according to the magazine.

He believes the team that won three Super Bowls could have integrated an openly gay teammate as well as any team.

"We had a bunch of different characters on that team," Irvin said. "Deion [Sanders] and Emmitt [Smith]. I believe that team would have handled it well."

Courtesy of Out MagazineMichael Irvin appears on the latest cover of Out Magazine. He tells the publication that he would support any athlete who comes out.

Irvin publicly acknowledges that the impetus for taking a stand comes from his relationship with his gay brother, Vaughn, who died of stomach cancer in 2006. Irvin had not spoken publicly about his brother previously, according to the magazine.

In the article, Irvin describes how his brother's sexual orientation contributed to his own issues.

He says that he found out his brother was gay in the late 1970s, when he found Vaughn wearing women's clothing. Michael Irvin was rattled by the experience and has figured out since that it contributed to his own womanizing behavior. Working with a Dallas area bishop, T.D. Jakes, Irvin looked at the past.

"And through it all we realized maybe some of the issues I've had with so many women, just bringing women around so everybody can see, maybe that's the residual of the fear I had that if my brother is wearing ladies' clothes, am I going to be doing that? Is it genetic?" Irvin said to Out. "I'm certainly not making excuses for my bad decisions. But I had to dive inside of me to find out why am I making these decisions, and that came up."

Irvin says that his father, Walter, helped him learn a tolerant form of Christianity because the elder Irvin accepted his gay son and encouraged him to love his brother unconditionally.

Irvin now believes the African-American community should support marriage equality.

"I don't see how any African-American, with any inkling of history, can say that you don't have the right to live your life how you want to live your life," he said, according to the magazine. "No one should be telling you who you should love, no one should be telling you who you should be spending the rest of your life with. When we start talking about equality, and everybody being treated equally, I don't want to know an African-American who will say everybody doesn't deserve equality."
The Hall of Fame wide receiver believes that this work matters more than his football career.
"The last thing I want is to go to God and have him ask, 'What did you do?' And I talk about winning Super Bowls and national titles," Irvin said, according to Out. "I didn't do anything to make it a better world before I left? All I got is Super Bowls? That would be scary."

Irvin would support any athlete who wants to come out.

"If anyone comes out in those top four major sports, I will absolutely support him. ... When a guy steps up and says, 'This is who I am,' I guarantee you I'll give him 100 percent support," Irvin said.

And if the player produced on the field, he would have supported a gay teammate as well. Winning was paramount.

"I believe, if a teammate had said he's gay, we would have integrated him and kept moving because of the closeness," Irvin said, according to the magazine.

He believes the team that won three Super Bowls could have integrated an openly gay teammate as well as any team.

"We had a bunch of different characters on that team," Irvin said. "Deion [Sanders] and Emmitt [Smith]. I believe that team would have handled it well."

As a die hard Steeler fan and as hard as it is to give any cowboy props.. gotta take my hat off to dude for taking a stand for equality..

That quote says it all.. As a former history teacher you have to be pretty ignorant as an african-american to be against same sex marriage and not realize that the same types of discriminatory laws were in place less than a half century ago towards us.. hopefully folks wake up soon and this is a real big step especially for athletes..

As a die hard Steeler fan and as hard as it is to give any cowboy props.. gotta take my hat off to dude for taking a stand for equality..

That quote says it all.. As a former history teacher you have to be pretty ignorant as an african-american to be against same sex marriage and not realize that the same types of discriminatory laws were in place less than a half century ago towards us.. hopefully folks wake up soon and this is a real big step especially for athletes..

5922543e67b91a0e43e26814f2554b0991b3088.jpg

As a former history teacher you have to be pretty ignorant as an african-american to be against same sex marriage and not realize that the same types of discriminatory laws were in place less than a half century ago towards us

With that being said I can see why your a FORMER history teacher.  You might want to brush up on your history a little bit more champ if you believe the two even come close to being the same.

As a former history teacher you have to be pretty ignorant as an african-american to be against same sex marriage and not realize that the same types of discriminatory laws were in place less than a half century ago towards us

With that being said I can see why your a FORMER history teacher.  You might want to brush up on your history a little bit more champ if you believe the two even come close to being the same.

Even though I'm a Cowboys fan, that's not why I am applauding Irvin.
Let them live that life... 
tired.gif

Even though I'm a Cowboys fan, that's not why I am applauding Irvin.
Let them live that life... 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

129015899709989355.jpg

Props to Mr. Irvin. It's more difficult to hate gay people when they're in your family. And what he said about African Americans is the truth as difficult as it is for some to swallow (pause).

129015899709989355.jpg

Props to Mr. Irvin. It's more difficult to hate gay people when they're in your family. And what he said about African Americans is the truth as difficult as it is for some to swallow (pause).

Get em!

Thread/

Get em!

Thread/

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

You and ninjahood should start a club together or something.
I don't understand what the gif is for, so African Americans shouldn't support other struggles for equality?
laugh.gif
He clearly missed the point about history and the hypocrisy of African American's views on homosexuality.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

You and ninjahood should start a club together or something.
I don't understand what the gif is for, so African Americans shouldn't support other struggles for equality?
laugh.gif
He clearly missed the point about history and the hypocrisy of African American's views on homosexuality.

I believe the gif means this man is OUTRAGED that a well-known black man is speaking out in favor of gay marriage.

This dude is so vehemently against equal rights for all. I can only think of this man

eddie-long-kissing.png

I believe the gif means this man is OUTRAGED that a well-known black man is speaking out in favor of gay marriage.

This dude is so vehemently against equal rights for all. I can only think of this man

eddie-long-kissing.png

Hear me out for a second. It is cool Mike did what he did for his brother, but WHY on God's green earth did he agree to take that super sweet looking picture? I swear famous people must have a contract to give up creative control over their own photoshoots. I don't understand the amount of questionable pictures that these dudes allow themselves to be put in. WHY WHY WHY. Those Kobe pics, Rose's pics, and now this. I don't get it man.

Back
Top Bottom