My Friend Got Punched in the Face by a cop for not wearing a Helmet on his 10 speed (video)

waltthizzney

Banned

Victim in His Own Words : http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/BC/ID/2363221120/

A video posted on Facebook that appears to show a plainclothes officer punching a cyclist in the head during an arrest on Tuesday night "only captures one portion of the incident," Vancouver's police union says.

Andishae Akhavan has insisted he was not resisting arrest, and said there was no reason for the officer to punch him in the face.

But union president Tom Stamatakis disagreed, saying officers had observed Akhavan riding his bicycle in a manner that "put a lot of people in some risk, whether it's accident or injury."

"This was not just a person minding his own business on his way home, abiding by the rules of the road and complying with all the traffic-control devices," Stamatakis told CBC News.

The officers "did exactly what the public would expect them to do. They took enforcement action and this person made a number of decisions that I would argue probably escalated the situation beyond where it needed to go."

Akhavan was "allegedly confrontational with police" after being stopped at Robson and Beatty streets for allegedly running a red light, police said.

Akhavan said he was riding his bike without a helmet through Yaletown at about 10:45 p.m. PT when two officers stopped him. Akhavan said he got off his bike and started questioning the officers as one began writing him a ticket.

"At that point they decided to put cuffs on me," he said. "I was just speaking to them. I didn't raise my voice or anything, and they started putting the cuffs on me."

He says that's when the video showing Akhavan standing at the side of the road being restrained by two plainclothes officers starts.

"What is this for?" he asks.

Akhavan's left arm moves as he turns his body to speak to one of the officers again.

"Relax," the officer orders.

Then Akhavan appears to get punched in the jaw.

"Relax your arm," the officer then says.

The incident was filmed by Mike Schwarz, who says he happened to see his friend surrounded by the officers as he drove by.

"I pull out my phone and literally I arrive on the scene within five seconds and hit record. That's what you see on Facebook," Schwarz told CBC News.

Akhavan did nothing before the camera started recording video to provoke such a reaction, Schwarz said.

"At first I was in complete shock, I couldn't believe it happened," he said. "I wanted to get involved or do something but I realized I wasn't going to help the situation."

Schwarz told the officers the incident would go on TV. He posted it to Facebook, and in just a few hours the video received thousands of comments and shares.

Akhavan was treated at the scene by Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services for a cut lip and released. Police said he could still face charges.

The incident was reported by the officer to his supervisor shortly afterwards. It was also reported to the professional standards section of the Vancouver Police Department, Stamatakis said.

An investigation will be carried out by the Police Complaints Commissioner to determine whether the force used during the arrest was appropriate.

Hope your friend gets a nice little check for that. Police feel like they are "gods" nowadays.

Last edited:
****** up but at least they were polite about the filming

officers in america probably would have made up some ******** about not being allowed to film it and confiscated the camera to keep their job

Last edited:
lol yo true story, I've been to Montreal several times cops in Canada don't play that. I saw a female cop beat someone up for public intoxication then throw her into a cop minivan. :lol:

Your friend is Dave Attell?

First thing I thought when I saw the vid. He looks just like him :wow:

Thats messed up though... Usually I see people do something dumb that puts themselves in the position to get beat u by the cops, but he didnt make ANYthreatening gestures to warrant that punch to the face. Officer has NO self control :smh:

Best of luck to your friend

i mean... i can see where the cop thought he was pulling away, but it looked like the dude was waiting for an opportunity/eager to snuff him.  especially over a bicycle moving violation?? 
laugh.gif

cops start acting funny around the end of the month when quotas are up.  the white cop seemed reasonable, the other one was just there to beat somebody up.

why does it look like it's being filmed from the inside of an astronaut's helmet?

Last edited:
he was resisting when he pulled his arm away, but punching him in the face wouldnt have been the best solution

i mean, it could have escalated to pinning him to the ground to prevent further resistance

with these accents, it sounds like the nicest arrest ever :lol:

All he did was adjust his arm because he NEEDED to. Hes not a ******g double jointed olympic gymnast. But no cops treat people like animals not people with no understanding of this and throw punches in response. And act like they dont understand. A fully cooperative man has to take one on the chin.

And his partner was a good guy? Na hes the ******** dorner talks about. Just sit quiet and let the small wrongs by their brothers in uniform continue.

He shoulda hit the cop then curb stomped him while saying this ones for dorner.

All he did was adjust his arm because he NEEDED to. Hes not a ******g double jointed olympic gymnast. But no cops treat people like animals not people with no understanding of this and throw punches in response. And act like they dont understand. A fully cooperative man has to take one on the chin.

And his partner was a good guy? Na hes the ******** dorner talks about. Just sit quiet and let the small wrongs by their brothers in uniform continue.

No race card?

Is it now cop protocol to escalate every situation into hands on conflict? One more false move and weapons would have been drawn. Scary world we live in with power crazy cops.

Man that was ridiculous. A total over-reaction from the cop. Why was he even cuffing jim in the first place? And then a twitch means you can punch him? That's just stupid.

Back
Top Bottom