'National Geographic' Reckons With Its Past: 'For Decades, Our Coverage Was Racist'

Discussion in 'General' started by hand2handking, Mar 13, 2018.

1. hand2handking

hand2handking

'National Geographic' Reckons With Its Past: 'For Decades, Our Coverage Was Racist'
    [​IMG]
    In a full-issue article on Australia that ran in National Geographic in 1916, aboriginal Australians were called "savages" who "rank lowest in intelligence of all human beings." The magazine examines its history of racist coverage in its April issue.
    C.P. Scott (L) and H.E. Gregory (R)/National Geographic

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180312

thoughts? :nerd:

2. enlightenedespot

enlightenedespot

Man the first time I saw australian aborigines at a sports authority, **** threw me for a loop. Theyre dark but not black. Had me confused then a mfer.

3. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford

Newscorp owns them. So they gonna be back on that racist steez real heavy, real soon

harlemtothebronx likes this.
  4. jthagreat

jthagreat

I think its a good step in the right direction.

'One good step would be to invite the diverse contributors to the April issue to become part of the magazine's regular pool of writers and photographers, Mason suggests."
    to be seen...

harlemtothebronx likes this.
  5. harlemtothebronx

harlemtothebronx

I think this is respectable if they’re doing it of their own volition. Would be an interesting and infuriating read, I’d imagine.