NEW Player Exclusive/Promo Thread!

Who does not have a Oregon pe? As a UDUB fan I hate seeing all these Duck pe's!Lolblackpeople - I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by the Chicago 45 or your house!Great stuff guys

Originally Posted by onoudidntgf
Damn some Team Motherlovers.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

-Tyler

Jay, thanks for starting a new thread! Nice to see everyone bringing out the big guns. I'll share a few for old time's sake!
(please ignore the annoying tags)

Bkals and 9.5, yall are DOIN IT! 
Hey Brian, I HATE YOU MAN
frown.gif

I might have to make a contribution up in here. 

Visrael- they definitely should have had more of those silver based Dunkman IV's available... lol

As far as I'm concerned these are two pics that really get people into pe's. Before these comps it seemed you could count people into pe's with two hands and as soon as the shoe comps hit everyone wanted a pair!
not my pics!

^
HIGH - Q RICH
LOW - Derek Anderson

Nice Dunkman IV's Visreal, hopefully you can obtain the original sample too! The best IMO...
eek.gif

Anyways, AMAZING pictures everyone! Keep it up!
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

PO

I'd take those Nike Pumps in that case before anything else..Nike needs to retro those asap..

Hey guys, this new PE thread is off to a great start!! Exactly what I was hoping for; plenty of buzz and participation! 

Wow Digital, can you believe it's been over 7 years since the SC Comps? I dug up some additional photos from the Niketown Los Angeles show and also pics of the 1/1 Custom Laser Dunks that Nike made for me after the show. I haven't posted these photos in over 7 years, so hopefully some of the newer NTer's will enjoy...

400618159.jpg

400618127.jpg

400618128.jpg

400618126.jpg

400618125.jpg

400618131.jpg

400618124.jpg

400618121.jpg

400618122.jpg

400618123.jpg

400618130.jpg

400618129.jpg

400618132.jpg

400618134.jpg

400618133.jpg

400618135.jpg

Originally Posted by Jay Jones

Wow Digital, can you believe it's been over 7 years since the SC Comps? 
Crazy how times have changed. The real unbelievable part of it all is how a few guys with some pe's were able to change the whole hobby. Those first few comps really influenced what and how Nike/JB releases stuff to this day (H.O.H anyone?). 
Kids don't realize the effort and the ground work we had to put in 7+ years ago to even have a chance to obtain rare stuff. I have seen so many new guys come and throw around big cash to become one of the players in the p.e game and then just fade out. I don't think I need to start name dropping!
I love seeing the first few pages of this post filled with some of the same guys I use to aim chat with back in 2000-2005 

Back to kicks

Question - what happened to the shoe comps? why did everything die? did everyone get their grails and lose interest?

Originally Posted by lolblackpeople

Question - what happened to the shoe comps? why did everything die? did everyone get their grails and lose interest?
To be real that is a whole other thread. I'm sure most have different opinions on both of your questions but here is mine.
To me the shoe comps turned into one big spending competition. I was a judge in the Seattle shoe comp and I voted for someone to win who many felt just went out and out spent the others. Things really got out of hand after that. When it came time for the finals in Vegas people were just trying to buy up anything they could find to win the comp instead of buying what they like. I was really able to break bread around that time 
laugh.gif

As far as p.e. collectors losing interest I think it was all about money. At it's peak around 2005-2007 the prices of stuff was so high it really drove a lot of people away. People who were Jordan or SB collectors started selling off their collections to fund their new p.e. collections. So many people tried to hop on the bandwagon and the demand was so high people who had access to exclusives around that time were really able to charge what ever they wanted. You see pairs for sale now for $300-$500 that back in 2006 were selling for $1000 all day. I remember people paying $1500 for Oiler Lebron 3 and $800 for some Mike Bibby af1! IBack then I collected Sebastian Telfair exclusives since he was a Trailblazer at the time. I will never forget a seller trying to sell me some Telfair Adidas shelltoe samples. He knew that I was the guy to buy and he offered them up for only $2500
indifferent.gif
 At that point I knew things were out of control.

Bottom line people forgot the #1 rule of collecting sneakers. BUY WHAT YOU LIKE!!

Last edited:
DJ - It would make for an interesting topic to discuss, that's for sure. Everything from how it impacted PE prices, the increase and resulting decline in PE "collectors" over the past decade, to why JB continues to try everything in their power to stop PE's from leaking out. If I'm JB, I'm picking some influential people and handing over product for them to promote because NOTHING creates hype for a shoe like seeing a player exclusive version of it. Even if that colorway may not release. I still believe that to this day.

All I know is after 10 years I STILL get goosebumps when I get out some of my favorite PE's. Always have and probably always will.

Keep the pics coming gents.

I could discuss the state of the hobby and pe's all day. Maybe one day we can all meet up around spurssniperseven pool on Alan Tisch dime! (j.p. Alan 
tongue.gif
)
Nike and JB have been giving out pe's and other smu pairs for years. Only problem is it's usually to d-list celebs who claim to be the kings of the sneaker collecting hobby. 
Unfortunately most of us collectors have a different opinion then they do on who is influential.

Originally Posted by DIGITALJORDAN

Originally Posted by lolblackpeople

To be real that is a whole other thread. I'm sure most have different opinions on both of your questions but here is mine.
To me the shoe comps turned into one big spending competition. I was a judge in the Seattle shoe comp and I voted for someone to win who many felt just went out and out spent the others. Things really got out of hand after that. When it came time for the finals in Vegas people were just trying to buy up anything they could find to win the comp instead of buying what they like. I was really able to break bread around that time 
laugh.gif

As far as p.e. collectors losing interest I think it was all about money. At it's peak around 2005-2007 the prices of stuff was so high it really drove a lot of people away. People who were Jordan or SB collectors started selling off their collections to fund their new p.e. collections. So many people tried to hop on the bandwagon and the demand was so high people who had access to exclusives around that time were really able to charge what ever they wanted. You see pairs for sale now for $300-$500 that back in 2006 were selling for $1000 all day. I remember people paying $1500 for Oiler Lebron 3 and $800 for some Mike Bibby af1! IBack then I collected Sebastian Telfair exclusives since he was a Trailblazer at the time. I will never forget a seller trying to sell me some Telfair Adidas shelltoe samples. He knew that I was the guy to buy and he offered them up for only $2500
indifferent.gif
 At that point I knew things were out of control.

Bottom line people forgot the #1 rule of collecting sneakers. 

BUY WHAT YOU LIKE!!

If you dig kicks, it should have never been about competition, that is where problems begin. Whomever decided to start a comp judging who has a better collection than who, is responsible for destroying something that should have been simply for fun. If you want to showcase your kicks, then fine! But as soon as  you put competition behind what should have been nothing more than a exhibition, people are going to do whatever they need to do in order to win, especially thirsty peeps, people dying for attention.
We all know that there are many Nike lovers out here. If this thing were truly about sneakers then not the hype, someone like this who is really about her passion, http://www.sneakerwatch.com/article/008277/retired-teacher-owns-700-pairs-of-converse-sneakers/  is what it's really all about.

Personally, I play in everything I own. It was never about reselling, then making a buck. I got into Player Exclusives due to me not being able to find kicks in my size in a store as a kid. I wore a size 14, when I was thirteen. A certain former player gave me his kicks when I went to a hoops camp, due to me not having a proper pair of kicks to play in, as he wore my size.  He went into his trunk of his car, gave me a pair of shoes with his name on them, a pair that I was clowned on by friends telling me that they were a pair of rejects, factory variants, due to them not having the swoosh on the back. Those shoes are long gone, but the memory of that cat doing me a kindness, will last forever. That cat was Rory Sparrow, and they were a pair of low cut Nike Blazers. 

So I do not have the same connection as some of you uber collectors, as for me it has always been about function. I love looking at what some of you post, fantastic stuff! But I really don't understand the competitive angle, it just does not make any sense to me. 

What are you competing for?

At any rate, 

Back
Top Bottom