NFL Week 1 In Review...Ya'll Gonna Get This Work...

Lott didn't playmake like Reed? Lol Wtf?

He didn't.....Reed's the best safety ever, sorry.

Reed has hit some people too in his day tho. Not at the level Lott did, but Lott didn't playmake like Reed has either. Like I said, would love a thorough breakdown by somebody trustworthy without an angle to play.

Reed - Yards 1463, INT 57, TD 6, Tackles 461

Lott - Yards 730, INT 63, TD 5, Tackles 1113

looking at that, you can definitively say ed reed is the best ever? without a debate? 652 more tackles. sure reed has double the yards, doesn't that make him a great safety, but an amazing returner?

I amended my statement after thinking about those old 9er games I've watched on espn classic and the nfl network and checking out his stats myself. I knew he was a great DB, but I didn't know he was a ball hawk like that. When analysts talk about him, all they talk about is his hits. RL was the man.

Last edited:
the same thing as last year, the rest of the league :lol:
I was joking, purely to play on Shoes' infamous words and lines.

However, both teams are seriously much improved from last year. Baltimore with the uptempo, no-huddle offense installed by Cam. Flacco's perceived growth. SF with a plethora of weapons in Moss, LaMike, Manningham, Jenkins, and Jacobs. Alex Smith seemingly taking another step under Harbaugh's wing.

AFC: Pats, Texans, Ravens, Steelers, Chargers, Broncos. Only six teams I've giving a legitimate chance at the SB.

NFC: More wide open. Eagles, Cowboys, G-Men, Bears, Packers, Falcons, Saints, 49ers.

Lott didn't playmake like Reed? Lol Wtf?

He didn't.....Reed's the best safety ever, sorry.

Reed has hit some people too in his day tho. Not at the level Lott did, but Lott didn't playmake like Reed has either. Like I said, would love a thorough breakdown by somebody trustworthy without an angle to play.

looking at that, you can definitively say ed reed is the best ever? without a debate? 652 more tackles. sure reed has double the yards, doesn't that make him a great safety, but an amazing returner?

I amended my statement after thinking about those old 9er games I've watched on espn classic and the nfl network. RL was the man.

Being a long time Steeler fan, it pains me to say. While Reed is indeed an all time great, saying Lott wasn't the playmaker that Reed is isn't accurate. Here's how they stack up (stats for Reed through 2011).

Also note, Lott has 4 (that's 4) SB rings. Not going to take away anything from Reed (or Lott for that matter). Both are great.

Edit - LOL - I'd favor Lott more than Reed...Dude asked them to cut off most of his pinky rather than miss a playoff game for surgery needed to fix his broken finger...

Eh, I admit Lott has better numbers than I realized, but of his 5 TD's, 3 were in his rookie year, he scored twice in the next 13 seasons. Little less than playmakerish to me. Ed Reed meanwhile has 7 picks, 2 fumbles, a punt return, and 3 punt block returns. Throw in a safey and he's just showin off now. :lol: Lott does have 2 playoffs TD's and Reed only has 1. And certainly the 4 Super Bowls matter.

Also, Lott played his first few years as a cornerback, is that right? :nerd: And 4 of his pick 6's came as a corner? Anyone confirm this? The greatest safety of all time spent 4-5 years as a corner where he did the majority of his playmaking?

Like I said, there's no way to quantify how fearful receivers were when Lott was roamin back there. Same as there's no quantifying how fearful QB's were of Ed Reed roamin free. No way to know the impacts of both on their respective defenses. It would certainly take a smarter man than myself but I think the discussion is viable and interesting. DoubleJ's, when you need a topic to open up, please do me the honor and bring this to the fore.

A panthers vs eagles superbowl
I'd be one happy man. We're already getting that match-up for MNF.

I'm on record picking the Eagles to represent the NFC this year. That's fine, I'll take the shots after Week 1. We looked miserable against the lowly Browns. Just have to wait and see, and hope.

It wasn't until now that I realized that I'd rather lose any player on the field before I lose my long-snapper :x

Last edited:
He outplayed Brady in last year's AFC Championship game, and he was fitting balls in tight locations all game yesterday. Passes the overused cliche "eye test"... will pass the number test in about 3-4 months.
The Pats defense was awful and Brady was up against the Ravens defense. Pointing out that he outplayed Brady is really pointless.

He's going to have a big year, though.

flacco was a 3rd string rookie away from losing in the division round. QBR of 18.7 against the texans. if tj yates doesn't throw 3 picks, you think the ravens even win that game?

Careful your making too much sense, and Houston was still in it to the very end.

he
Alex before I can believe my 9ers can have me like I was so many years ago vs Junior Seau and the Chargers

Disregard the defense, Brady should never be outplayed by Flacco, ESPECIALLY not in a game of that magnitude.

Listen, all I said was that he's making the transition from a game manager to a guy who can win you games with his arm. Am I saying he's going to be elite? No. Am I even saying that he's made that described transition yet? No.

Folks preach not to jump to conclusions on players yet its hypocritical to blow up statements to more than what they are. That's jumping.

A panthers vs eagles superbowl
I'd be one happy man. We're already getting that match-up for MNF.

I'm on record picking the Eagles to represent the NFC this year. That's fine, I'll take the shots after Week 1. We looked miserable against the lowly Browns. Just have to wait and see, and hope.

Like I said earlier , I believe to cold city , unless Reid changes his play calling and Vick starts playing for the phoenix suns, eagles aint going to the Bowl

:rofl: @ the Chargers being Super Bowl contenders. The Raiders are pathetic, that win means jack-diddly.
So tell me why not.

Antonio Gates revolutionized the TE position before Gronk and Jimmy were even relevant. Paved the way for basketball-type athletes to play TE effectively. I believe in a bounce back campaign for Phil Rivers. He's an elite QB for me, top-tier in the second group after the obvious choices.

Norv is a good play-caller (OC) if nothing else as a HC.

Wait until Ryan Matthews returns, who is arguably on the cusp of making the push into the top-10 for RBs. Can run, catch, block. Speed, power. I like the kid as you can tell.

Eh, I admit Lott has better numbers than I realized, but of his 5 TD's, 3 were in his rookie year, he scored twice in the next 13 seasons. Little less than playmakerish to me.

I hear what your saying but to me and maybe others just getting the interception in itself is making a play, or making the play. Your now getting your offense back on the field and giving them a chance to score. Being able to run the interception back for a touchdown is great of course, but that would be the icing on the cake or a bonus after the interception.

:rofl: @ the Chargers being Super Bowl contenders. The Raiders are pathetic, that win means jack-diddly.
So tell me why not.

Antonio Gates revolutionized the TE position before Gronk and Jimmy were even relevant. Paved the way for basketball-type athletes to play TE effectively. I believe in a bounce back campaign for Phil Rivers. He's an elite QB for me, top-tier in the second group after the obvious choices.

Wait until Ryan Matthews returns, who is arguably on the cusp of making the push into the top-10 for RBs. Can run, catch, block. Speed, power. I like the kid as you can tell.

did you watch the game last night? :x

So tell me why not.

Because it's never been about the talent for SD. They've always had the talent to make a deep postseason run, more in previous years than they do now. The bottom line is that Norv Turner is a terrible leader of men, does a poor job of making in-game adjustments, and Rivers hasn't had the playoff performances (outside of one game) they needed him to. Sure Rivers can turn it around to a degree, but I've seen enough of Norv to know it's not going to be enough for SD to have a legit shot at the SB. No bias.

I like Ryan Mathews alot, and DMC for that matter , issue is their made of gingerbread

Eh, I admit Lott has better numbers than I realized, but of his 5 TD's, 3 were in his rookie year, he scored twice in the next 13 seasons. Little less than playmakerish to me.

I hear what your saying but to me and maybe others just getting the interception in itself is making a play, or making the play. Your now getting your offense back on the field and giving them a chance to score. Being able to run the interception back for a touchdown is great of course, but that would be the icing on the cake or a bonus after the interception.
How is running an INT back for a touchdown "icing on the cake"? The point of football is to have more points than the other team, a defensive player scoring a touchdown is literally a direct effect on the outcome of the game. There is nothing greater a player can do to help his team win than actually scoring a touchdown himself.

Ed Reed is the only defensive player in the league where it's actually a point of emphasis for opposing teams to not let him score. Just think about that for a second.

Last edited:
So tell me why not.

Trust me, I love Phil Rivers....But they didn't spend the past decade being twice as loaded as they are now and doing nothing with it to all of a sudden being contenders. That D isn't great, Ryan Matthews is mediocre, Vincent JAckson is gone, Antonio Gates is injured every week...They ain't going anywhere.

Jets are more realistic than the Chargers. Jets have the best secondary in the league at least and improved line play. If Sanchez can keep the good play up they'll be in the playoffs easily especially with a cupcake schedule.

jets improved line play? LOLwut? Did buffalo even pressure / have a sack ?

Being a long time Steeler fan, it pains me to say. While Reed is indeed an all time great, saying Lott wasn't the playmaker that Reed is isn't accurate. Here's how they stack up (stats for Reed through 2011).

Also note, Lott has 4 (that's 4) SB rings. Not going to take away anything from Reed (or Lott for that matter). Both are great.

Edit - LOL - I'd favor Lott more than Reed...Dude asked them to cut off most of his pinky rather than miss a playoff game for surgery needed to fix his broken finger...

Eh, I admit Lott has better numbers than I realized, but of his 5 TD's, 3 were in his rookie year, he scored twice in the next 13 seasons. Little less than playmakerish to me. Ed Reed meanwhile has 7 picks, 2 fumbles, a punt return, and 3 punt block returns. Throw in a safey and he's just showin off now. :lol: Lott does have 2 playoffs TD's and Reed only has 1. And certainly the 4 Super Bowls matter.

Also, Lott played his first few years as a cornerback, is that right? :nerd: And 4 of his pick 6's came as a corner? Anyone confirm this? The greatest safety of all time spent 4-5 years as a corner where he did the majority of his playmaking?

Like I said, there's no way to quantify how fearful receivers were when Lott was roamin back there. Same as there's no quantifying how fearful QB's were of Ed Reed roamin free. No way to know the impacts of both on their respective defenses. It would certainly take a smarter man than myself but I think the discussion is viable and interesting. DoubleJ's, when you need a topic to open up, please do me the honor and bring this to the fore.

Yes, Lott started his pro career in '81cas a CB & ended up getting 7 INTs as a rookie earning ROY honors while helping to win a SB in his first year. He switched to safety in '85.

The Chargers average starting position in the second half was the Raiders 47 yard line, they received 3 muffed/blocked punts, they had their only TD drive extended by 2 offsides penalties on 3rd downs. They only managed 22 points.

On D they held down a toothless offense and a horrible display of special teams by the Raiders.

When they beat a decent team that isn't beating themselves then the Chargers can be in the talk for the playoffs.

How is running an INT back for a touchdown "icing on the cake"? The point of football is to have more points than the other team, a defensive player scoring a touchdown is literally a direct effect on the outcome of the game. There is nothing greater a player can do to help his team win than actually scoring a touchdown himself.
Ed Reed is the only defensive player in the league where it's actually a point of emphasis for opposing teams to not let him score. Just think about that for a second.

Which is why I started my statement with "BEING ABLE TO", not the touchdown itself which is how you appear to be perceiving it. Yes Ed Reed has the ability to run an interception back for a touchdown or even field a punt and mabye even return a punt for a touchdown. Ronnie Lott was able to make a play by getting a interception, Ed Reed is able to make a play by getting a interception. I was just trying to help clarify things for [COLOR=#red]CP1708[/COLOR] from my perspective.

Back
Top Bottom