No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson ESPN 30 for 30-- April 13th

laugh.gif
at the jarvis scene
laugh.gif
his face when his tutor told him about the speech
grin.gif
 my dude still with the tall tees and 3x shorts

very good doc, i would love to hear ai talk about the whole sitaution but i know its still prob tough for him

The only time activists should have come into play was after the sentencing. That was way excessive. All involved in the fight should have been charged and sentenced appropriately, and you'd have to be a fool to think 1) the white guy with the prior cocaine charge didn't provoke AI and his friends and 2) AI and friends didn't assault the white guy and his friends.

That Ellenson dude was the biggest character of the film. I think he stole this doc from Iverson himself.

pimp.gif
Doc finished up very strong. Reminded what Iverson meant at one of point of time. Those memories seem to have faded quick, but no athlete connected with black america to that extent since.

To this day I salute A.I for not "wearing the mask" that so many black athletes did in path that Jordan's image redefined...

Originally Posted by 0cks

Much respect to Steve James and his family though. They seem get "it"
I always salute those (white people) who do.

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

pimp.gif
Doc finished up very strong. Reminded what Iverson meant at one of point of time. Those memories seem to have faded quick, but no athlete connected with black america to that extent since.

To this day I salute A.I for not "wearing the mask" that so many black athletes did in path that Jordan's image redefined...

Originally Posted by 0cks

Much respect to Steve James and his family though. They seem get "it"
I always salute those (white people) who do.

Great doc.

A.I. has been my favorite ATHLETE of all-time & i never even realized how big this was. wow...
pimp.gif

It's crazy because all they charged were the ball players.

Maim by mob, might as well charge the whole mob. Singling out those 3-4
smh.gif

It got as big as it was obviously because Allen Iverson was involved.

Also
eek.gif
at the dude who actually threw the chair wanted to come forward because even he knew that mess they were doing weren't right
pimp.gif

It's crazy because all they charged were the ball players.

Maim by mob, might as well charge the whole mob. Singling out those 3-4
smh.gif

It got as big as it was obviously because Allen Iverson was involved.

Also
eek.gif
at the dude who actually threw the chair wanted to come forward because even he knew that mess they were doing weren't right
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Man, I wish we could hear from Big John, one of my all time favorite coaches and just an amazing guy (from what I know)
eyes.gif

He's a baskteball coach...

Doc was great though...Makes you realize why a lot of these guys who make it to the NBA act the way they do...Allen Iverson never (maybe aside from the lady who helped him with the diploma/ged or whatever) had any parental figure who was soley looking out for his best interests and not worried about how they could benefit from him.  How do you expect a kid who had a 15 year mother and essentially raised himself to know how to handle life with millions of dollars.  The worst part is Allen is actually one of the more elequent and intelligent athletes I have ever heard speak.  Just a very smart dude.  It is just so sad to see what is life has become.  It makes you realize how fragile the human pysche mind really is...Allen was never prepared to handle life.  I have enough problems with my own schoolwork, day-to-day !*%!, making smart choices about friends and I was born in as well off a situation as any individual could hope for, I coul only imagine dealing with that when one has faced as much adversity as Allen has.

At this point if Ivo is going to salvage the rest of his life, he is going to have to finally take responsibility for himself.  It isn't an easy thing to do, especially with the grip his "entourage" aka leaches have on him.  James and Simmons had a podcast and they were saying how they really tried hard to reach out to IVO but his handlers were pretty abrasive and just now willing to compromise as well.  It's a shame cause no one makes a better sports documentary then Steve James and it would have made Ivo come out in an even better light.  Sometimes it is hard to realize that the individuals who you grew up with and surround you aren't the people you can hang around or are going to be the people who are going to help you make the right life decisions.  Getting rid of all these leeches is the first step in Ivo getting his life back.

eyes.gif

Yeah, and he has done some great things, from taking in "troubled players" to standing up to the alleged DC drug lord.  He was seemingly a good guy besides just a baskteball coach

I'm not saying John Thompson takes on a kid without Allen's talent in that situation..but.....at that point in Thompson's career he had enough with as he put it 'snot nosed kids' and just flat out didn't recruit.

He doesn't go to jail -- he never ends up at G'Town. It took his mom, meetings with Allen, and consulting with those in the area to have a scholarship offer be put on the table. So it wasn't eyes lighting up at the talent and the wins that could come.

I would say the 2 years at Georgetown were the most stable of his life. And that was 1 person who did have his best interests at heart.

dmx, you should pick up 'Big Man On Campus' sometime. good read.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

eyes.gif

Yeah, and he has done some great things, from taking in "troubled players" to standing up to the alleged DC drug lord.  He was seemingly a good guy besides just a baskteball coach

He recruited kids who can help him win basketball games.  I hate when people make dude out to be some humanitarian.  It seems he really helped troubled players like Victor Page or AI cause those guys are doing great things with their lives.   Even when he helped lower the SAT limits to below 700, was that cause he wanted to help his fellow black youth or recruit some functionally illiterate kid who would help him win games.  I'm not saying JT is a bad guy, I just think he is a basketball coach.

"And Thompsonis not always the academic counselor he portrays himself to be. CraigShelton, who left school after four years to play professionally, triedto reenter Georgetown after his pro career in hopes of finally getting his degree. He called Thompsonfor help and encouragement, he told Shapiro. The calls were neverreturned, leading the former player to conclude that his old coach hadlost interest in his continuing education once his eligibility hadexpired. Another former player remarked anonymously, "He always told usnot to let the white man exploit you, but some of us think it wasn'tthe white man who exploited us, it was John Thompson."

it was a good documentary. i recommend you guys watch Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise And fall of Jack Johnson. You wont believe how evil white people were back then. Talk about a whole world that was racist smh

He gave kids an opportunity. It was up to them what to do with it.

76 out of 78 kids who stayed for four years under him left with a degree.
"The biggest con in education is kids sayingthey were exploited. If the kid doesn't get an education, it's hisfault."

I'm not saying you're wrong AMP..he was just a coach.

But As far as basketball coaches, he did more than anyone else for academic, social and racial issues. Because of that people are going to think of him as being more than what he was.
Even when he helped lower the SAT limits to below 700, was that causehe wanted to help his fellow black youth or recruit some functionallyilliterate kid who would help him win games.
a 'Prop 42' kid could not receive financial aid his freshmen year as a partial qualifier. He protested, got it changed. I would say he was right in his standing on the issue. There were several other coaches and administrators against it, he was the only one to publicly protest it.

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

@ the White reporter mentioning those "offensive" White names.

I literally yelled to the TV "Shut up _."

Sorry.

I'm not saying JT is a bad guy, I just think he is a basketball coach
Fair enough, again why I said 'from what I know'.  I'm not completely educated on him

Originally Posted by Al3xis

He gave kids an opportunity. It was up to them what to do with it.

76 out of 78 kids who stayed for four years under him left with a degree.
"The biggest con in education is kids sayingthey were exploited. If the kid doesn't get an education, it's hisfault."

I'm not saying you're wrong AMP..he was just a coach.

But As far as basketball coaches, he did more than anyone else for academic, social and racial issues. Because of that people are going to think of him as being more than what he was.
Even when he helped lower the SAT limits to below 700, was that causehe wanted to help his fellow black youth or recruit some functionallyilliterate kid who would help him win games.
a 'Prop 42' kid could not receive financial aid his freshmen year as a partial qualifier. He protested, got it changed. I would say he was right in his standing on the issue. There were several other coaches and administrators against it, he was the only one to publicly protest it.

Agreed...Also, he was really the only prominent black NCAA basketball coach for a long time, he paved the way and did fight for social issued that were important.  I just hate when people make him out to be this saint in a profession of sinners.  He was no different then Knight, Coach K or Dean Smith.  Generally good guys, but guys who also had their flaws.

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

pimp.gif

Word.

This was a very good documentary. Its amazing the race issues that exists in America, all of our country...

as a man regardless of what A.I does I'll always have love for him for who he IS. Like it or not but what he does good and bad personifies a lot of us as men, white or black. None of us are perfect. I miss A.I... i wish his baby girl the best and I wish him and his family the best in getting through what he has going on right now.

I liked the old heads speaking. the Duck comment... the shot of the ducks in the water at the end... very well put together.

pretty good documentary.

too bad alot of the people didnt speak, but i understand why they wouldnt want to.

Back
Top Bottom