NT, help me get a credit card...

i have a great job... relatively speaking... and yes, i am looking to build my credit, but that is a secondary concern... my issue is that my ex randomly decided to marry another dude, and leave in in the apartment with all the bills....

That's horrible. But I don't think a credit card is what you should be looking for at the moment. Adding debt to your expenses is just going to be a hassle in the future..trust me.

I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but if money is a REAL tight stretch, you might be better off asking for a loan from your parents or friends just to hold you up for a little while.

Hell, I'd even go as far as not paying some of the utility bills before I consider opening a credit card. Missing payments on a utility will probably hurt you a lot less compared to missing credit card payments. If you call them and let them know if the situation, they are more than likely to help you out and even lower your payments.

A credit card is very hard to pay off if you're living paycheck to paycheck. I have a "decent" salary, with 6k in credit card loans. I have been working for almost 3 years and still have 1.5k left to pay off. It is not as easy as "i'm going to use this paycheck to pay off my whole CC" once you have other bills/priorities.

Wait until you're back on your feet with disposable income before opening a credit card.

sounds like a credit card is a bad idea.

That's horrible. But I don't think a credit card is what you should be looking for at the moment. Adding debt to your expenses is just going to be a hassle in the future..trust me.

I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but if money is a REAL tight stretch, you might be better off asking for a loan from your parents or friends just to hold you up for a little while.

Hell, I'd even go as far as not paying some of the utility bills before I consider opening a credit card. Missing payments on a utility will probably hurt you a lot less compared to missing credit card payments. If you call them and let them know if the situation, they are more than likely to help you out and even lower your payments.

A credit card is very hard to pay off if you're living paycheck to paycheck. I have a "decent" salary, with 6k in credit card loans. I have been working for almost 3 years and still have 1.5k left to pay off. It is not as easy as "i'm going to use this paycheck to pay off my whole CC" once you have other bills/priorities.

Wait until you're back on your feet with disposable income before opening a credit card.

Read the entire thread and this person gave the best advice.

It sounds like to me you do NOT need a credit card at the moment. You need to first financially get your self acclimated to independently paying off bills. You were used to have some kind of support from your ex, but with her out the picture--you need to readjust to how you'll support yourself financial and pay the bills.

I would cut out some of the stuff that you don't really need. You need to compare your necessities vs luxuries and try to distinguish between those two. My advice would be to lay out all the bills in the table and separate which ones you need to pay off to survive and which ones you need to pay off to have fun.

Then I would figure out a proper way to budget your money without drowning. You'll have to start saving a lot more and eventually you'll get back on your feet.

Taking out a loan would be another option, but depending on who you get the loan from--interest would play a factor as well. If you're fortunate enough, I would go to your parents first.

Getting a credit card and not being able to pay back the debt would be crippling to your credit score and would deter you from any kind of financial success in the future. You wouldn't be able to get a house, car or in some cases a better job. Only get the credit card when you are financially stable and can pay off those debts on a consistent monthly basis.

Best of luck

Last edited:
i have a great job... relatively speaking... and yes, i am looking to build my credit, but that is a secondary concern... my issue is that my ex randomly decided to marry another dude, and leave in in the apartment with all the bills....

Break your lease and move into a smaller place. Get rid of your cable, Netflix or whatever you have. Stop spending your money on drugs. Drugs are a luxury for those who are financially sound.

My real issue is rent... its $1200... the electric bill is low, heat isn't needed right now, hot water is included..... I don't have Netflix/Hulu/cable/ect.... I had a Virgin Mobile phone, which i do need, but it decided to kill itself last night... I Haven't paid for herb since she left... I completely understand that I need to get out of this apartment, but I can't even get anything saved up at the moment... And people, I'm not searching for a CC to have fun with it...

My real issue is rent... its $1200... the electric bill is low, heat isn't needed right now, hot water is included..... I don't have Netflix/Hulu/cable/ect.... I had a Virgin Mobile phone, which i do need, but it decided to kill itself last night... I Haven't paid for herb since she left... I completely understand that I need to get out of this apartment, but I can't even get anything saved up at the moment... And people, I'm not searching for a CC to have fun with it...

What good is a CC going to do then? It seems that you're already living out of your means, a credit card is just another option for you to go over your budget.

Last edited:
What good is a CC going to do then? It seems that you're already living out of your means, a credit card is just another option for you to go over your budget.

But he needs to build credit. You can't make big purchases without having a good credit score anyway.

OP, apply for a small credit card limit like $500-1000 and spend it on small items like gas, groceries, etc. This will help teach you how to budget your money with low risk accordingly and pay on time.

in your current situation, a credit card will give you temporary immediate relief, but will be a larger burden long term and I promise you that you'll end up regretting it.

But he needs to build credit. You can't make big purchases without having a good credit score anyway.

OP, apply for a small credit card limit like $500-1000 and spend it on small items like gas, groceries, etc. This will help teach you how to budget your money with low risk accordingly and pay on time.

this is all i'm seeking..i honestly don't want a limit over $500...

this is all i'm seeking..i honestly don't want a limit over $500...

Best bet would be to go to your bank and apply there. Tell them that you're looking for a $500 limit, looking to start your credit score/history. You'll need to show that you're currently employed and making $x amount monthly. After all that, you'll are all set.

Back
Top Bottom