NT, How Much Do You Tip Your...Bartender?

Paying cash as I go = $1-2 per drink.

Opening up a tab = $20%

If I'm getting hooked up with free drinks/shots I'll go at least a few bucks per. 

Paying cash as I go = $1-2 per drink.

Opening up a tab = $20%

If I'm getting hooked up with free drinks/shots I'll go at least a few bucks per. 

It's gone ham some nights though. Gotta love the seasoned bartenders that take care of you if you take care of them. The young pretty chicks tend to be garbage.

It's gone ham some nights though. Gotta love the seasoned bartenders that take care of you if you take care of them. The young pretty chicks tend to be garbage.
Absolutely. Some nights at my favorite spot I'll wind up straight SMASHED off a $25 tab, and end up leaving like $30 in tip. Trust I never go to their latest new young broad until she knows who I am. 

Edit - The worst though is when you're expecting the hook up and your bill comes out to a T at like $70... At that point, 20% and I'm out. 

Last edited:
man, as little as possible

give em your card & start a tab with your first drink
then at the end of the night when you have to pay - usually less than (everybody) tipping per drink

Last edited:

Absolutely. Some nights at my favorite spot I'll wind up straight SMASHED off a $25 tab, and end up leaving like $30 in tip. Trust I never go to their latest new young broad until she knows who I am. 

Edit - The worst though is when you're expecting the hook up and your bill comes out to a T at like $70... At that point, 20% and I'm out. 

In DC a simple Rum and Coke can easily run $12+. When the drinks are marked up that far I'll put down $1 per drink but that's about it. Really good service or more reasonable drink prices and I might put up a little more depending on how I feel.
don't get me started on POV... $15 for a vodka tonic 
mean.gif
 ... however they used Russian Standard Platinum as their rail (favorite vodka) so at least it had that going for it...

...and the vodka martinis at Russia House, damn good but $16 ... last time i ended up there my tab was way too high...
ohwell.gif

mean.gif

Last edited:
Looking at y'all drink prices...Idk what imma do when I leave Kc. Most expensive Coors Light in town...$5. Whiskey well $5. So many places have $.50 beer nights...most places tax $3 for a pbr. And...we are a drinking state ('baby hold my beer' laws *****!!!) I'm terrified to leave this city, but I gotta grow...and yes when I go to NYC and Cali...I've ordered PBR...dropped $7 and $6 respectively...beer don't taste no better.

Midwest drinking>>> anywhere else

How come I always hear waiters and waitresses and bartender s talk outside of work about getting paid good from tips yet we think they all get paid lowly. I wish I was a bartender pretty easy job compared to some others

I usually do $1 per drink but if I order 5+ shots then I'll probably only leave $3. My only problem is that when I'm wasted I forget how to do math and end up leaving an oversized tip :lol:

Does anyone know why when I pay with a credit card at the bar and add a dollar or two on the tip line they never take my money? Am I doing something wrong? Haha

How come I always hear waiters and waitresses and bartender s talk outside of work about getting paid good from tips yet we think they all get paid lowly. I wish I was a bartender pretty easy job compared to some others
When I was bartender is was easy money. Cash and *** weekends is what we called it.

Dudes that work at country clubs I hear make bank. Old rich people tipping 50 for a 15 dollar shot just because

Last edited:
Y'All opening tabs with your credit and debit cards? I'd suggest to never ever do that.

Last edited:
I usually do $1 per drink but if I order 5+ shots then I'll probably only leave $3. My only problem is that when I'm wasted I forget how to do math and end up leaving an oversized tip :lol:

Does anyone know why when I pay with a credit card at the bar and add a dollar or two on the tip line they never take my money? Am I doing something wrong? Haha

Check your account a week later. I always see the subtotal charged right away or within a day or two, a few days after that it always gets adjusted to the total I paid including the tip.

Last edited:
Ahh I see. Yeah I just checked and the charge changed on my card. Tipped way too much while intoxicated :lol:

$10 tip for two $10 shots..... :smh:

Cash only next time I go out haha.

To all y'all in here that don't tip well in bars....you have NO idea how this game works. And ALWAYS hit hardest on the first tip. You're welcome.

I worked at a club and when someone opened a tab with their card the first thing they did was charge it 100 to see if it'll get declined. Sometimes they "forgot" to refund it and didn't until someone complained or something. A lot of times theyed just throw in 500 if someone didn't cash out and when they complained they'd just say you were drunk and don't remember.

Pretty shady stuff

Hearing about MJ, and "no tippin" Pippen has forever ruined my outlook on leaving big tips, sorry service industry.

Man...it ain't as bad as people think. It sucks because some nights you don't make anything. Swear, people are waiters cuz they can't handle money. Most waiters/bartenders I've worked with spend money like its Monopoly money.
I worked at a club and when someone opened a tab with their card the first thing they did was charge it 100 to see if it'll get declined. Sometimes they "forgot" to refund it and didn't until someone complained or something. A lot of times theyed just throw in 500 if someone didn't cash out and when they complained they'd just say you were drunk and don't remember.

Pretty shady stuff

Thats OD but I do know some people that do that. They all charge at least $50, and always forget to correct it. I know bartenders who will go OD on the tip also, taxing an extra 10-15 on whatever you tipped.

Man...it ain't as bad as people think. It sucks because some nights you don't make anything. Swear, people are waiters cuz they can't handle money. Most waiters/bartenders I've worked with spend money like its Monopoly money.

Pretty shady stuff

Thats OD but I do know some people that do that. They all charge at least $50, and always forget to correct it. I know bartenders who will go OD on the tip also, taxing an extra 10-15 on whatever you tipped.

A simple phone call to your bank fixes all of this almost instantly. Not that I've ever had a problem using debit.

Back
Top Bottom