NT RECOMMEND/SCHOOL ME ON SPEAKERS

I usually don't do this, but I figured who would know more about speakers than my fellow NTers. I'm in the market from some new speakers. I'vehad the stock ones for a lil bit and they're gone
laugh.gif
I'm looking for some good, affordable(not too much more than $100-150 if possible) speakers toreplace them. The fortunate thing is that the speakers in both the front AND the back are the same(6.5" width, 2" depth) so I'll probably justget two pairs of the same one and leave it at that. Keep in mind that I'm not trying to beat down the block, I just need some good speakers that candeliver when I want to turn the volume up.

I do have some questions that I hope you guys can answer for me:

1. What are some good brands to look out for¿
2. How hard is it to install yourself¿
3. Has anyone tried Best Buy to install¿ If so, how are they¿
4. If I can find a speaker with the right width but not the right depth, is that ok¿

Those are all I have for now. I'm sure I'll come up with some more as the questions are answered. Thanks in advance.

do not..and i mean do not go to best buy for an install its better to hit up mom and pop audio shops for work...its easy to install and theres many good brandsbut it all boils down to your budget

Originally Posted by CrunkJuicedUp

Il sell you my alpine type x's, unused, bassicly new in box for 250, there 350+ dollar speakers
smile.gif
2 tweeters, 2 crossovers, 2 speakers bassicly the High def of speakers..... and i wuld get it done at best buy, dont do it yourself you can damage your eletronics, ussaly if it doesnt fit they fix it so it does.

First things first, ignore all that. I assume you meant 100-150 for each set? If thats the case then you can easily get a good set of speakers to replaceto stockers. Get a set of good coaxials, not components, to keep the installation as simple as possible. I would take a look at Diamond Audio orCDT....You'll have to get them on Ebay to stay in your price range, but you can install them yourself without much hassle.

Some good brands to look out for are Alpine & Pioneer or maybe even Kenwood. Check out crutchfield.com for loads of info.

Originally Posted by awash242

Il sell you my alpine type x's, unused, bassicly new in box for 250, there 350+ dollar speakers
smile.gif
2 tweeters, 2 crossovers, 2 speakers bassicly the High def of speakers..... and i wuld get it done at best buy, dont do it yourself you can damage your eletronics, ussaly if it doesnt fit they fix it so it does.

First things first, ignore all that. I assume you meant 100-150 for each set? If thats the case then you can easily get a good set of speakers to replace to stockers. Get a set of good coaxials, not components, to keep the installation as simple as possible. I would take a look at Diamond Audio or CDT....You'll have to get them on Ebay to stay in your price range, but you can install them yourself without much hassle.

if he has a big enough budget he can get some components and a amp to power them..if not coaxails ftw

Originally Posted by Youngdipset20

smile.gif

First things first, ignore all that. I assume you meant 100-150 for each set? If thats the case then you can easily get a good set of speakers to replace to stockers. Get a set of good coaxials, not components, to keep the installation as simple as possible. I would take a look at Diamond Audio or CDT....You'll have to get them on Ebay to stay in your price range, but you can install them yourself without much hassle.

if he has a big enough budget he can get some components and a amp to power them..if not coaxails ftw

He said what his budget was already...
(not too much more than $100-150 if possible)
He's not getting an amp and two sets of comps on that budget.
eyes.gif
So like I said, coaxials *****

and MOM and POP is def not the way to go...... do it rite and get it done at circuit city or best buy, where there professionals, dont listen 2 these fools and wind up ruining your car

sarcasm? i cant tell...

^ uh... i meant 250 for all of that lol. and MOM and POP is def not the way to go...... do it rite and get it done at circuit city or best buy, where there professionals, dont listen 2 these fools and wind up ruining your car, and you get a warrenty, if they break anything or do it wrong they fix it with a life time grant. Alpine and Kenwood are THE best, i know about car audio and those are the way to go, you can find some kenwoods online for like 70-90 and bump 10x better then anything else non name brand.

my man....you know who does installs at best buy and circuit city? 16 and 17 yr olds with very basic knowledge in car audio..its BEST..to hit up mom andpop audio shops where the installers been doin installs for 10+ years..and you do NOT know car audio to even mention kenwood and best in the same sentence ifyou wanna talk best..mention polk audio..rainbow..cdt..etc...

Youngdipset, please handle this dude for me before I really have to roast him.
Everything he is saying is laughable
laugh.gif
Alpine and Kenwood THE best?
laugh.gif

He's not even worth flaming. Son actually called best buy and circuit city installers professionals
tired.gif

Youngdipset, please handle this dude for me before I really have to roast him.
Everything he is saying is laughable
laugh.gif
Alpine and Kenwood THE best?
laugh.gif

He's not even worth flaming. Son actually called best buy and circuit city installers professionals
tired.gif

My dude prolly got some sony xplod subs in the trunk powered by a lanzar 3000 watt amp thinkin he doin it up
roll.gif

Thanks for the help so far. I'm not looking for amps or anything, but I'll definitely keep that info in mind if I decide to go louder.

So leave Kenwood and Alpine alone¿ Are they that bad¿

Oh and I did mean $100-150 per set.

No, Kenwood and Alpine are not bad at all, they are just not the best. Youll be happy with Alpine Type-R speakers.

get some infinity joints from best buy... and let them install them...
i dont know why there getting so much hate if some happens theyll fix them/replace them for free... MOM & POP def will give u the SOL look

Originally Posted by Memphis10aKey

i dont know why there getting so much hate if some happens theyll fix them/replace them for free... MOM & POP def will give u the SOL look

I don't know if you had a bad experience with a "mom and pop" shop, but all the car audio shops I have dealt with are far more knowledgeableabout products, far more experienced, have better prices, excellent warranties, and much cleaner installs. Best Buy has rape prices, sub-par installers and asevere lack of knowledge. I could do better installs than those guys when I was 13. Why not go to a specialized shop if you aren't going to do the workyourself?
Anyways, NCTwin, if you can work a screw driver and have common sense you can install the speakers yourself. Remove the speaker guards, unscrew factoryspeakers, disconnect wires, connect wires to new speakers, screw aftermarket speakers in place, replace speaker gaurd, and enjoy your new sound.
wink.gif

ive had subs blow that were replaced by "mom n pop" stereo shops free of charge....one of my JL amps was acting up and they warrantied it out forme free of charge...again at a "mom n pops" stereo shop...i have friends who were best buy installers at one point tell me they would never recommendgoing to best buy to have stereo equipment installed..
why wouldnt a reputable shop warranty their work?...the couple that ive dealt with all warranty theirwork, if the ones you shop at dont, then you got problems...

plus shopping at the local stereo shop is just a better experience...i met one of my good friends through a stereo shop he works at...i feel 100% comfortableleaving my cars with them... and that peace of mind is something i could never obtain when leaving my cars to 17 year olds at best buy...

Originally Posted by jae oh en

ive had subs blow that were replaced by "mom n pop" stereo shops free of charge....one of my JL amps was acting up and they warrantied it out for me free of charge...again at a "mom n pops" stereo shop...i have friends who were best buy installers at one point tell me they would never recommend going to best buy to have stereo equipment installed..
why wouldnt a reputable shop warranty their work?...the couple that ive dealt with all warranty their work, if the ones you shop at dont, then you got problems...

plus shopping at the local stereo shop is just a better experience...i met one of my good friends through a stereo shop he works at...i feel 100% comfortable leaving my cars with them... and that peace of mind is something i could never obtain when leaving my cars to 17 year olds at best buy...

+1. Pretty much what I was getting at.

You all have given me a LOT of stuff to think about. Maybe I'll check out the mom and pop spot to see what's up...

I don't think anyone answered my question about the depth. I haven't been able to find a speaker yet with the correct depth(2"). I've seenstuff close to it, but nothing yet that's the correct one. Is there a way to make it fit anyway if the depth is a little off¿ is that an ok thing to doanyway¿

Although I tend to stay away from NT audio thread, I think I will chime in on this one.

Mom and Pop shops typically offer a better experience because they usually specialize in one thing, car audio. Both the sales and installation staff should bemuch more knowledgeable than anyone that works car audio at Best Buy or Circuit City. From my experiences, it seems that everyone that works car audio at BestBuy does it just to get a discount for their own ride. They get the job, buy the system, and 6 months later they are gone. Then, BB has to re-train someoneelse. With car audio, you don't learn it over night. Experience is a factor.

To the dude talking about BB is more professional than mom and pops. I'm going to have to disagree. Half those dudes don't even know what they aredoing. At my shop, every installer I have has been in the industry for at least 10 years.

Originally Posted by NCTwin

I don't think anyone answered my question about the depth. I haven't been able to find a speaker yet with the correct depth(2"). I've seen stuff close to it, but nothing yet that's the correct one. Is there a way to make it fit anyway if the depth is a little off¿ is that an ok thing to do anyway¿

Usually, you can go a bit bigger than the stock mounting depth. The 2" is probably referring to your stock speaker size. Most aftermarket speakers areanywhere from 2.5"-3+" It also depends on they type of car you have.

if you cant find the right mounting depth spend a extra 5-8 bucks and get a mdf spacer as far as the speakers go since you are on a budget stick to a 2 wayspeaker..infinity..alpine...pioneer....are all good affordable brands as far as the install...if u cant take the speaker guard off just unscrew off the doorpanel and do it from there..its pretty simple and should take you no more than 40 minutes

Alot of newer cars actually require spacers. For instance, on my G35, I have 6.5" front speakers, but the hole is actually bigger so you cannot mountaftermarket speakers without using a spacer.

On vehicles such as newer Hondas and Toyotas, the factory speaker has an integrated spacer, sometimes as thick as 2 inches. When you put an aftermarketspeaker, you have to use a spacer to make up for it.

Well I have a 92 Prelude(since people wanted to know). I was told about spacers from someone else too, so we'll see what happens. Is Kicker any good¿

Originally Posted by NCTwin

Well I have a 92 Prelude(since people wanted to know). I was told about spacers from someone else too, so we'll see what happens. Is Kicker any good¿

You wont have any issues with mounting depth in your Prelude with most aftermarket coaxial speakers. Kicker is decent, they will get the job done if you arejust looking to upgrade from stock. Just like with every other brand they have their entry level line, all the way up to their flagship line. You can settlefor something in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom