NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Happy stout day!

I did have a Xocoveza last night for stout day and a good friend came over and we cracked a KBS.

I did have a Xocoveza last night for stout day and a good friend came over and we cracked a KBS.
Xocoveza came and went too fast even here in socal. It was amazing. Got one bottle and it was gone. Here with my blizzcon friends in anahiem and it's strange. Picked up a few bottles of thunderbrew.

Falling leaf is awesome. Bourbon and vanilla and cinnamon on the nose and taste as well as some brown sugar. The sweetness is not overpowering and goes down smooth.

Soo much chocolate and coffee. Nice bitterness at the end. Very good.

Nice box came it today from a BA member. The trade was only for a growler of MBC Lunch (filled on 11/1). The rest were extras :wow:. Very generous folks overthere!

Nice!

Have you had Lunch before? I hope a week in a growler did not mess with it. I haven't had good experiences with anything past 3 days in my growler.

Nice!

Have you had Lunch before? I hope a week in a growler did not mess with it. I haven't had good experiences with anything past 3 days in my growler.

Never had Lunch before. Only MO and Peeper Ale. Just poured a glass, very tasty! Reminds me of Pliny with some dankness.

Damn dude. Nice come up. Pay it forward (to me)

Next person I trade with will be very lucky haha.

Last edited:
Did I hear trade? How the heck do you bubble wrap a growler? Seems sketchy on a couple of different levels.

I hit up La Cumbre yesterday. Some of the same o'l. A few new tries.. I swear I'm getting stuck in my ways with true "go tos". I guess every place around can have their go to customers. I just dont feel a need to try too many other places

Malpais Stout
d01511da8b375ca7936c2c96a6a74569_640x640.jpg

Coffee, roasted malt flavors.. Tastes lighter on the pallet since it is so "dry". A touch more coffee and creaminess, and it could be that FBS replacment. It has the standard flavors down

Red Ryeout
3af32feed9e2ffc5e52108c3deaf9d90_640x640.jpg

They bottled this up a few months back for special release. It's a 7.5% hoppy red ale with hints of rye.. This may have been the showstopper for me.. Right off the assembly line. I think this was tapped a couple days ago. Still a bit cloudy. That should clear up as time passes. Fruity and tropical hops creating an amazing sweetness factor. The rye added some smoothness in the mouthfeel. It was tasting better than dare I say, Elevated IPA... They announced they'd be canning this one next for regular rotation. I was hesitant at first because I don't recall the bottled version a few months back being this tasty. But this time around, I am have been won over.

Pilsner
33a59d73f2bc8b6bade56118cec1b300_640x640.jpg

Crisp, a touch hoppy with a bite. Pretty standard quality pilsner offering. I dont think out of the three main local options, I have a true favorite..

I brought home a growler of Helles Lager. This one was a touch less hop, more crispness, some sweetness you can taste, as well as a growler of Elevated IPA.. NFL today will be quite the treat.

I totally forgot. I didnt even get to have a stout on International Stout day. A bomber of Project Dank and a older bottle of Full Nelson by La Cumbre did me in.

Xocoveza looks to be almost out around my way.. I swear all it takes is one person or a couple to then tell their friends. I thought it would be sitting awhile.. I may check out one more place if anyone has immediate interest in the next two hours, hit me up

Last edited:
Hopefully this'll help Alpine with production & distribution. Bottles are impossible to find even in SD.

That seems to be the thinking:
"In a “handshake agreement,” Green Flash began brewing Alpine beer in November 2013 at their San Diego facility with the goal of helping longtime friends at Alpine raise capital to expand their production capacity. Green Flash has been producing three of Alpine’s brews (Nelson, Hoppy Birthday and Duet), increasing Alpine annual production from 1500 to 3000 BBLs."
&
"In 2015, Green Flash will begin bottling select Alpine brews in 22oz bottles adding to the three current draft offerings."
Seems like a win-win. Alpine recipes with the ability to make more of them and Green Flash has a nice little toy to play with...

Hopefully this'll help Alpine with production & distribution. Bottles are impossible to find even in SD.

That seems to be the thinking:
"In a “handshake agreement,” Green Flash began brewing Alpine beer in November 2013 at their San Diego facility with the goal of helping longtime friends at Alpine raise capital to expand their production capacity. Green Flash has been producing three of Alpine’s brews (Nelson, Hoppy Birthday and Duet), increasing Alpine annual production from 1500 to 3000 BBLs."
&
"In 2015, Green Flash will begin bottling select Alpine brews in 22oz bottles adding to the three current draft offerings."
Seems like a win-win. Alpine recipes with the ability to make more of them and Green Flash has a nice little toy to play with...

As long as they don't touch the recipe for Nelson :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

AB seems to be doing a good job with Goose Island and distro'ing BCBS, so I don't mind the bigger companies gobbling up the smaller breweries

Last edited:
GF doesnt really seem too relevant around my way. They can barely get stuff that isn't already 3 months old to my area. I hope they can fix that issue and also provide a wider footprint for Alpine.. Seems like a challenge

Grabbed some goodies today:

Barrel-aged Narwhal sold out before I could get my hands on it, but I'm not exactly losing sleep over it.

My bottle shop guy talked me out of the barrell aged Narwahl saying it wasn't worth it. Anyone here try it yet? Ended up leaving with a bottle of Speedway Stout and a 4-pack of Molotov Cocktail. So looks like I'm turning up anyway.

Last edited:
Speedways the same price, right? I'm still sitting on the two BA narwhal I bought last week. Price seemed okay. OVerall, trusting a Bottle shop guy is a life lesson ,either for the better or worst.. Speedway is a known competitor. Great stuff. BA Narwhal is still rather new to the whole USA consumer base.

CF, I was impressed with the SN Fall pack. That Vienna lager and oktoberfest should be staples.. Just crisp malty beasts imho. What's in the snowpack?

Avery brewing just hit my area. I BAed all of them. Nothing above 88. I wonder if I should give any of them a try.

RE: BA Narwhal. I swear this was sitting at a 93 BA a week or two back before it officially hit all of the USA.. Now its sitting at 97. It's gaining some momentum.

I just may give it a go tonight. Wish me luck fellas

Last edited:
Speedways the same price, right? I'm still sitting on the two BA narwhal I bought last week. Price seemed okay.

CF, I was impressed with the SN Fall pack. That Vienna lager and oktoberfest should be staples.. Just crisp malty beasts imho. What's in the snowpack?

Avery brewing just hit my area. I BAed all of them. Nothing above 88. I wonder if I should give any of them a try.

RE: BA Narwhal. I swear this was sitting at a 93 BA a week or two back before it officially hit all of the USA.. Now its sitting at 97. It's gaining some momentum.

I just may give it a go tonight. Wish me luck fellas
Snow Pack has two regulars (Pale Ale and Porter) and two special releases (Boomerang IPA and Coffee Stout).

Gonna keep an eye on my regular spot for the BA Narwhal.  Also got a tip from a classmate that a distributor by our school had two bottles today.  They're probably gone by now though.

My shop had it at $21, speedway is $15 for me.

For the most part, my guy hasnt let me down as far as recommendations go. Wally, and everyone else let me know what you guys think of it though. I mean in all honesty, I havent had a Barrell Aged Stout that I truly hated anyway.

Back
Top Bottom