NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Heading to New Orleans on a Bachelor Party for Wrestlemania. Planning on stopping at NOLA Brewery for a few hours. Any other places I should check out?

Got a nice porch bomb from a friend today:

unnamed.jpg

Let me get a few beers in me and I'll throw some reviews everyone's way.

572542AD-554D-4A40-AFEA-41EDFB9FA30B.jpeg
Super solid TIPA. I do prefer the recent LAX to JFK though. Wish I would have had this about two weeks ago, but again still an excellent beer.

Did you go to monkish brick and mortar or ordered this online? I'm gonna go visit their brewery next saturday but I don't want to bother if I show up at noon and everything is sold out.

Did you go to monkish brick and mortar or ordered this online? I'm gonna go visit their brewery next saturday but I don't want to bother if I show up at noon and everything is sold out.

Got this in a beer trade. I have no idea how Monkish works but I’m actually visiting in 4 weeks. First time hitting that place up too and I’m wondering the same ha

Monkish doesn't sell beer online. Can releases are announced about an hour and half before they open. Random days. No set schedule.
In the first 20 or so releases, in 2016, they were almost always on Saturdays. In the last year (almost 80 releases) there has been 6 on a saturday. I'm not saying they won't, but it's not likely. They always have hoppy stuff on for growler fills.
Check their website before you go. They list how many releases they anticipate for the week. If it says one can release and they've already done that week, they won't do another. This week for example. Website says one release. It was yesterday. They pretty much aren't doing another.
And they have never had a release last more than 3 hours.
If you luck out and they do one while you are in town, follow their twitter and get there a few hours before they open. They give line and beer count updates throughout the release.

Down in Winston Salem/Greensboro for work. Not much NC beer I care about but wow, the beer selection they have in their grocery stores and total wine blows PA selection out of the water.

Trying really really hard to not stock up on Bruery. Also came across Grimm bottles. And for the price, I might just grab a couple of the pop! beers

Down in Winston Salem/Greensboro for work. Not much NC beer I care about but wow, the beer selection they have in their grocery stores and total wine blows PA selection out of the water.

Trying really really hard to not stock up on Bruery. Also came across Grimm bottles. And for the price, I might just grab a couple of the pop! beers
get some Burial cans, they're solid

Been slacking hard on the reviews. Allow me to hog up some of your computer screen for a minute:

unnamed.jpg

Hudson Valley Incandenza w/ Galaxy. Basically a stripped-down version of a lot of their crazier sour IPAs. Just oats, wheat, lactose, and Galaxy hops. Enjoyed this one over OG Incandenza. The Galaxy gave it a nice additional bite. Another crusher.

unnamed-1.jpg

Tree House Hurricane. Basically an Imperial IPA version of their pale ale Tornado. Citra and Simcoe hops in this. Really nice mix of citrus/grassy/earthy. Mouthfeel on par with other Tree House offerings. Not my favorite from them, but still worthy of trying.

unnamed-2.jpg

Tree House Present Moment. Pale ale, not sure what it's brewed with. Really soft and fruity. Easy-drinking. Definitely a contender with favorite pale ale ever alongside Lights On. Wish they would brew this more often.

unnamed-3.jpg

Grimm DDH Pulse Wave. They didn't disclose what the hop bill on this is this time around. I believe last batch was Simcoe and Columbus? Either way, this one is weird. Very bitter/earthy. Fresh cut grass on this. Fruity components are there, but take a backseat. Not one of the better Grimms out there.

unnamed-4.jpg

Sand City Best Seat in the House. Brewed with Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, and Mosaic. This one was really nice. Fuller mouthfeel than you get on a lot of Sand City beers. Big notes of melon and peach. Almost reminiscent of a Tree House beer? One of their better offerings.

unnamed-5.jpg

Grimm Dreamweapon. I wanna say this one is all El Dorado, but I'm probably wrong. Either way, this made up for Pulse Wave. This one had that signature "strawberry gummy" flavor that Grimm is known for. Another one with nice notes of melon and tropical fruits. Super drinkable. Awesome beer.

unnamed-6.jpg

Sand City x Interboro This Is How We Chill From 2018 'Til. This one has Citra, Galaxy, Simcoe, and Falconer's Flight. Based off of the hop bill and the two breweriew I was excited for this one. I found myself underwhelmed. Not the worst beer Sand City or Interboro has done, just very middle of the road. Glad I didn't buy more than a 4-pack of this.

unnamed-7.jpg

Interboro x Sand City Mad Fat Mofo. Hopped with Equinox, Centennial, Mosaic, and Mosaic lupulin powder. This one was really nice. Big pineapple and berry notes on this one. ABV not detectable. Best collab I've had from Interboro since the Mumford collab (Mad Fat Method).

houston finally getting on the haze craze...seems to be just 1 brewery though (spindletap)...not my pics

7a2e9fef8e2de444fdc1d0fb9533541d.jpg

i have only tried this 1 because i can't find any of the others around my way...looks like the stuff y'all post in here

SpindleTap_Juiceton_photo-by-Larry-Koestler-copy.jpeg

DW16FbkVQAAj8Xv.jpg

Round 2:
unnamed-8.jpg

Interboro x Civil Society Mad Fat Fresh. This one was hopped with Citra, Centennial, Mosaic, and Mosaic lupulin powder. This one was honestly a little too malty for my liking. Maybe you can chalk that up to it being only 6.4% whereas Mad Fat Mofo was 8.5%, but this one was the inferior collab between the two. Drinkable, just not something I'd purchase again.

unnamed-9.jpg

Interboro DDH Mad Fat Fluid. Hopped with Mosaic, Centennial, Equinox, and Mosaic lupulin powder. I don't know what went wrong between this and Mad Fat Mofo considering they have an almost identical hop bill, but this one tasted way earthier/bitter. Also way more malty. Wasn't a fan of this batch. Probably gonna drive up to the train station by my apartment and drop these off as a care package to one of the homeless dudes that post up there. :lol:

unnamed-10.jpg

Other Half x The Answer Last Week, ****ed Around and Got a Triple Double. Hopped with Galaxy, Wai-Iti, Mosaic, and Vic Secret. Other Half's collabs with The Answer have a reputation for being some of the best beers they brew and this one is no exception. This one is a tropical fruit juice bomb. Just enough grassy dankness to balance it out, but incredibly easy drinking with only a few days on it. I can only imagine how well this will mellow out in a week or two.

unnamed-11.jpg

Grimm DDH Tesseract. This one was great. Huge notes of strawberry, pineapple, peach, and mango. This drank like straight juice and I was digging it. I've been critical of a lot of Grimm IPAs as of late, but this one was even better than Dreamweapon. If this is the trajectory they're moving in when they have their own space I'm all about it. Superb.

unnamed-12.jpg

Other Half x Barrier Rake it Up. Hopped with Mosaic, Citra, and Denali. This one was much better than I thought it would be. Another juice bomb, but the Denali adds some nice notes of fresh herbs into this to make it unique. Barrier is a slept on brewery and all of their collabs with Other Half are pretty great.

unnamed-13.jpg

Other Half x Hoof Hearted Yeah, From the Chairlift! Brewed with Vermont yeast, Golden Promise, oats, and hopped with Motueka, Mosaic, and El Dorado. I was expecting not to like this as much as I did. The Golden Promise and Vermont yeast bring this beer somewhere I'm not used to with a lot of the IPAs I drink. Hard to put my finger on some of the flavors, but definitely a fruity and sweet IPA. Good stuff.

unnamed-14.jpg

Other Half x Monkish Universal on All Planes. Hopped with Vic Secret, Galaxy, Kohatu, Denali, and Chinook. Honestly? I found this one to taste earthy to a fault. Approaching dirt. I've heard this is starting to mellow out nicely, but my first can was pretty off-putting. Sucks to have that experience from a beer brewed by two amazing breweries. Either way, I still have 3 cans left. I'll keep you guys posted if my opinion changes.

Cheers, NT! :nthat:

Just booked a place for when I go to DC in May

1F08CBA5-00A3-476C-9960-494CD0C2F60D.png

In the description the host says they usually disconnect the beer taps but can be flexible

aviary-image-1521590972270.jpeg

Mirrorshield by Hudson Valley

First beer from HV. I must say, it certainly lives up to the hype. Never really had a beer with such a complex flavor profile. Ultra smooth with an extremely tart front end. Chamomille on the back end with a dry finish. Ultra smooth and soothing. Excellent beer

aviary-image-1521680072233.jpeg

Star Chamber by Hudson Valley

Another great one. This one had the perfect amount of sour. I tend to find that the sour outweighs the hops/bitterness in most sour IPAs. I found that this was perfectly balanced. Coconut comes through up front very subtely, almost like coconut water. Green tea finish ever so slightly. Never had such complex beers as Ive had with Hudson Valley

EDIT: also some getting minor saltiness ad this beer warms up. The sour aspect almost acts like a lime. Paired with the coconut, it reminds me of a margarita. Wow.

Hudson Valley really is the truth. I'd like to think of myself as being pretty spoiled with my beer options/availability, but Hudson Valley cans are the only ones I'll go out of my way to acquire without exceptions. They're truly in a league of their own.

Hudson Valley really is the truth. I'd like to think of myself as being pretty spoiled with my beer options/availability, but Hudson Valley cans are the only ones I'll go out of my way to acquire without exceptions. They're truly in a league of their own.
The thing I love about the beers I've had is that everyone has their own interpretation on what these beers are/supposed to be according to Untappd Checkins

The flavor profiles just have so much depth, especially as it's exposed to air and warms up. Incredible.

The thing I love about the beers I've had is that everyone has their own interpretation on what these beers are/supposed to be according to Untappd Checkins

The flavor profiles just have so much depth, especially as it's exposed to air and warms up. Incredible.
Yeah...I feel like "complex" is a term that's thrown around way too much when describing beer, but Hudson Valley's sour IPAs definitely earn that description.

Also love how approachable they are. I split a can of Multichorus with my mom on Thanksgiving and she pretty much hogged the whole thing. :rofl:

Took a weekend trip to Richmond with my girl. Was able to hit up the following:

-The Answer: cool place with a cult following. Honestly, no idea what the hype is about. The Joose's are legit juice. At 3.5% what can you expect (but I would never pay $20 for a crowler). Their IPAs we're not good and one of them was borderline offensive. On the other hand, the stouts I had from their Andall we're fantastic. Guest tap list is where the answer and Mekon really shined

-The Veil: only got to have one beer here but I got cans of all their other stuff that released so reviews to come. I like the vibe here (and Scott's Addition as a whole) and really wish I got to spend more time here. I got to try the Dogfish Head Collab. Not the best fan of lemon/peppercorn in IPAs but this is the first one that was halfway decent. Solid effort and I can't wait to try the cans I got

-Triple Crossing: got to hit up both locations as well as grab a four pack of the Falcon Heavy DIPA. I had their Waxing Poetic series on tap and they blew the Answer Jooses out of the water. The Galaxy So Mosaic is also one of my favorite IPAs I've had in a while, especially since it combines two of my favorite hops. Great beers all around and a brewery that often gets overlooked due to the hype surround the Veil and the Answer

Heading to New Orleans on a Bachelor Party for Wrestlemania. Planning on stopping at NOLA Brewery for a few hours. Any other places I should check out?
Their Rebirth Pale Ale is my favorite beer in NOLA. Had the Hopitoulas from NOLA Brewing Company also, but was less crazy about that one.

You gotta eat at Napoleon House. Best restaurant in the French Quarter IMO. Authentic feel and decor. Had the quarter muffuletta to go with boudin sausage and jambalaya. Washed down with a Sazerac.

Back
Top Bottom