NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

trying the new Dogfish Head...it's pretty good; reminds me a little of Festina Peche which I love but with more ABV
15myeld.jpg

trying the new Dogfish Head...it's pretty good; reminds me a little of Festina Peche which I love but with more ABV
15myeld.jpg

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Yep beer reviews can be hit or miss. I picked up ommegang abbey ale, which has a 92/100 rating and thought it was just flat out terrible. I've had some sours and cidars (and I dislike those) and ordered those by mistake and was able to properly finish off those. But the abbey ale was absolutely terrible. I had it back before I was really into beers but even so, I don't believe my tastes have changed that much.

With so many choices out there, it is simply too hard to take a review strictly at its word and NOT try it. I would have to say, find a place that lets you build your own six packs.
-----------

Guys, if you drink enough and love variety, you gotta get into home brewing. It is essential. I am down to $0.50 cent/pints, and my bar tabs are non existent now.. It's just mind boggling.

From last year:
8d13544e4ae479c145bd186e34746e10ee19e88_r.jpg

Honey Wheat on left, middle is an amber, brown on the right..

b3d25c54bc7104491913368f7a53760d2f2c5a2_r.jpg

This was batch #2 or 3. We didn't add any products or ingredients for clarity. If we did, it may have gotten even clearer.
-------

This year we have a 4.5% honey blonde, a 5.4% amber , and what is still fermenting and doing its thing, a 7.0% brown ale. Almost to an imperial level.

We haven't gotten too technical, and you definitely can feel overwhelmed. So for now, it's strictly for fun as a lower level hobby
Good stuff man. Me and a few friends took a beginners brewing class a week ago and ended up brewing our first batch later that day. Its a 6% hoppy pale ale that is supposed to be comparable to Sierra Nevada pale ale. Its a week in to fermentation and tomorrow we're adding the last of the hops (dry hop), then it'll ferment for another week before its ready to bottle. It seems like the hardest step is going to be carbonation.
Grimey wrote:
tried Sierra Nevada pale ale for the first time last night and i was IMPRESSED

You just opened the door to a world of really good beer.

Scott Frost wrote:
Whole Foods by me just started selling Green Flash IPA, scooped up a case.

As in West Coast IPA or Imperial IPA? You talking about a 12 pack of 12 oz bottles?
RunningFishy wrote:
ELCHAPULINCOLORADO wrote:
RunningFishy wrote:
anybody know any spots in LA/ be specific?

looking for micro breweries and 40z.

go to ramirez liqour in boyle heights.

this place is staked with microbrews.

dont let the size of this liqour store confuse. i go there all the time 
pimp.gif

Do you mean, just in the block? Or some hard to find spot? LOL

What about 40 oz? These are indoor pubs or shops that just sell them?

I wanted on tap and bottles.
Ramirez Liquor is legit.  If you're looking for on tap and bottles then you need to venture out to Stuffed Sandwich in the SGV (You'll need to take your own mug or buy one there, otherwise you'll be served in a paper cup). Also note that you cant buy beer there without buying food (something to do with their permit) so go with an appetite. Its a great place to sit down and enjoy some good food and beer. They have an outdoor patio too.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Yep beer reviews can be hit or miss. I picked up ommegang abbey ale, which has a 92/100 rating and thought it was just flat out terrible. I've had some sours and cidars (and I dislike those) and ordered those by mistake and was able to properly finish off those. But the abbey ale was absolutely terrible. I had it back before I was really into beers but even so, I don't believe my tastes have changed that much.

With so many choices out there, it is simply too hard to take a review strictly at its word and NOT try it. I would have to say, find a place that lets you build your own six packs.
-----------

Guys, if you drink enough and love variety, you gotta get into home brewing. It is essential. I am down to $0.50 cent/pints, and my bar tabs are non existent now.. It's just mind boggling.

From last year:
8d13544e4ae479c145bd186e34746e10ee19e88_r.jpg

Honey Wheat on left, middle is an amber, brown on the right..

b3d25c54bc7104491913368f7a53760d2f2c5a2_r.jpg

This was batch #2 or 3. We didn't add any products or ingredients for clarity. If we did, it may have gotten even clearer.
-------

This year we have a 4.5% honey blonde, a 5.4% amber , and what is still fermenting and doing its thing, a 7.0% brown ale. Almost to an imperial level.

We haven't gotten too technical, and you definitely can feel overwhelmed. So for now, it's strictly for fun as a lower level hobby
Good stuff man. Me and a few friends took a beginners brewing class a week ago and ended up brewing our first batch later that day. Its a 6% hoppy pale ale that is supposed to be comparable to Sierra Nevada pale ale. Its a week in to fermentation and tomorrow we're adding the last of the hops (dry hop), then it'll ferment for another week before its ready to bottle. It seems like the hardest step is going to be carbonation.
Grimey wrote:
tried Sierra Nevada pale ale for the first time last night and i was IMPRESSED

You just opened the door to a world of really good beer.

Scott Frost wrote:
Whole Foods by me just started selling Green Flash IPA, scooped up a case.

As in West Coast IPA or Imperial IPA? You talking about a 12 pack of 12 oz bottles?
RunningFishy wrote:
RunningFishy wrote:
anybody know any spots in LA/ be specific?

looking for micro breweries and 40z.

pimp.gif

Ramirez Liquor is legit.  If you're looking for on tap and bottles then you need to venture out to Stuffed Sandwich in the SGV (You'll need to take your own mug or buy one there, otherwise you'll be served in a paper cup). Also note that you cant buy beer there without buying food (something to do with their permit) so go with an appetite. Its a great place to sit down and enjoy some good food and beer. They have an outdoor patio too.

Originally Posted by ELCHAPULINCOLORADO

c422653636dd4bb403e735593056bf1cb8a1fa7f_r.jpg

anybody knows whats up with this?

all i saw that it was 41% abv

eek.gif
 That doesn't even seem like it would be enjoyable to drink!

I really want to try my hand at home brewing. I know a bunch of cats out here in Asheville that do it on the regular but the starting costs look mad expensive. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ELCHAPULINCOLORADO

c422653636dd4bb403e735593056bf1cb8a1fa7f_r.jpg

anybody knows whats up with this?

all i saw that it was 41% abv

eek.gif
 That doesn't even seem like it would be enjoyable to drink!

I really want to try my hand at home brewing. I know a bunch of cats out here in Asheville that do it on the regular but the starting costs look mad expensive. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by digital022

RunningFishy wrote:

pimp.gif

im a have to see if my gf will be willing to go w me. hahahahaha she hates the fact that i drink all this beer. anyone here have the same problem?

then if she doewsnt want to go then maybe there should be a los angeles beer drinking summit
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by digital022

RunningFishy wrote:

pimp.gif

im a have to see if my gf will be willing to go w me. hahahahaha she hates the fact that i drink all this beer. anyone here have the same problem?

then if she doewsnt want to go then maybe there should be a los angeles beer drinking summit
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

Over the past week or so, got a sixer of Bell's Oarsman Ale (amazing Berliner Weisse), a bottle of Mahr's Brau Mastodon Lager (yes, the metal band), a bottle of New Belgium La Folie 2012 and Jolly Pumpkin La Roja.

My wife got some killer beers sent to her for her birthday from her brother in Pa.: Dogfish Head Fort 2011, Brooklyn Sorachi Ace and Brooklyn Local 2. And we got another bottle of Sorachi Ace and two bottles of homebrew hefeweizen for our anniversary as well.

Super stoked on all of it.

Over the past week or so, got a sixer of Bell's Oarsman Ale (amazing Berliner Weisse), a bottle of Mahr's Brau Mastodon Lager (yes, the metal band), a bottle of New Belgium La Folie 2012 and Jolly Pumpkin La Roja.

My wife got some killer beers sent to her for her birthday from her brother in Pa.: Dogfish Head Fort 2011, Brooklyn Sorachi Ace and Brooklyn Local 2. And we got another bottle of Sorachi Ace and two bottles of homebrew hefeweizen for our anniversary as well.

Super stoked on all of it.

Ordered that Bacon Maple Ale from Rogues site. Had it shipped to my mothers house. Can't wait for that phone call...

Spoiler [+]

Ordered that Bacon Maple Ale from Rogues site. Had it shipped to my mothers house. Can't wait for that phone call...

Spoiler [+]

the "312" chicago beer is pretty good. Very smooth. Drank a lot of these when I was in indiana.

the "312" chicago beer is pretty good. Very smooth. Drank a lot of these when I was in indiana.

Back
Top Bottom