NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

You sort of come out of retirement when your favorite local brewery already know for Ipas decides to do a small production run of cans of their postmodern 'NE Hazy' IPA, El Jugo (Spanish for the juice).

6.5%. 40 ibu
Featuring meridian, centennial, mosaic, Nelson sauvin, and citra.
Easily among the best I've had of the style.

Haven't had a haul post in awhile. Been more of a weekend drinker as of late. Plus it's been in the high 90s, which tends to cut my habits.
For a graduation party-leading up to the 4th of July.

They say ipas are trending up but they just aren't for me in ge 7% range on hot days. It leads to almost all pilsners, lagers, and goses to quench my thirst.

Both goses get my stamp of approval. Pivo and pilsner urquell both reasonably easy to get in other areas. Very very crisp clean thrist quenching ability all of all those.

Last edited:
^ That El Jugo sounds delicious! Glad to see La Cumbre starting to do hazy brews.

Been drinking pretty good this week!

Alien Life Form IPA from Cellarmaker. Brewed mostly with Galaxy hops. Love galaxy hops but expected more fruitiness from this.

Fieldwork's Casa De Citra. Lager dry hopped with citra. It was close to 100 degrees out when I had this. Nice hop aroma and super refreshing for a hot day. Wish I picked up more.

Fieldwork's Pulp IPA single hopped with citra. My favorite FW beer to date. Straight pineapple and mango juice! This batch is tasting really green right now. Getting more pithy bitterness than I remembered. I'll let it mellow out for a bit before drinking again.

Temescal's Birthday Party. Their one year anniversary IPA hopped with vic secret, amarillo and simcoe. Crazy that there is a brewery a few blocks away from my old high school in Oakland. This is my first beer from them and it did not disappoint. Has that bubblegum yeasty note you get with a lot of TH beers (not at that level though). Citrus and tropical notes throughout. Really good brew!

Sipping on this tonight. Cool Runoffs from Alvarado Street. Loving the label on this! Listed as a WC DIPA but surprisingly the beer comes out quite hazy and juicy. Really enjoying this one. Easily top 3 Alvarado beer for me behind Contains No Juice and Hive Mind.

Last edited:
I've been slacking on my check-ins, so I figure I should keep the momentum going in this thread:

Other Half/LIC Still Shinin'.  6.5% wheat and oat IPA brewed with Citra, Mandarina Bavaria, and Cashmere.  This one's pretty good.  Citrus flavors dominate this one with some tropical and stone fruits in the background.  My only gripe is the mouthfeel.  Still kinda thin for an oat/wheat IPA.

Other Half DDH Dream in Green.  6.2% IPA brewed with Citra, Motueka, and Wai-iti with oats and lactose sugar.  This was the first of the oat/lactose sugar beers that really hit the spot for me.  Perfect mix of juicy/creamy.  One of my favorite Other Half beers so far this year.  Can't really think of anything I'd change about this one. 

Other Half DDH Forever Simcoe.  Same as it's always been.  Tastes as good as it looks.

Grimm DDH Forcefield.  6.4% IPA brewed with Azacca and Columbus.  This one has me confused on a lot of levels.  Last year's non-DDH version was much hazier and tasted completely different.  This is a big step down.  Earthy/spice/dirt notes dominate in this with a little fruitiness on the back end.  Not a fan of this one.  I'm about done with Grimm at this point.  When they're good, they're great but when they're bad it makes you question why people make such an active effort to seek these beers out.  Another instance where the juice was not worth the squeeze.  

Westbrook Mexican Cake.  Needs no introduction.  Same as its always been.  Great stuff.  Haven't had an imperial stout in a minute and this was an enjoyable change of pace.

LIC/Other Half Drop a Gem.  DDH Imperial IPA brewed with Galaxy, Motueka, and El-Dorado.  When I had this on the day of the release it tasted exactly like your standard Other Half IPA.  Not a bad thing, but was expecting something different.  It's transformed nicely though.  That Other Half intensity on the front end has mellowed off and it gives way to a nice bready/mellow back-end that I've come to expect with LIC Beer Project beers.  Good stuff.

Other Half DDH Cabbage.  7.9% brewed with Vic Secret, Simcoe, Motueka, and Mosaic.  This one is really nice.  I was expecting this to be super intense on the day of purchase, but it's actually quite light and rounded.  Flavorful without having hop residue stick to your teeth.  Winner winner.  

Other Half DDH Double Mosaic Daydream.  Essentially DDH Double Mosaic Dream with oats and lactose sugar.  This is still really fresh, so the hops are still dominating over the malts, but you definitely get a nice creaminess when it starts to warm up.  Pretty easy to tell that this is gonna be fantastic in a week or two.

Other Half/18th Street DDH Powdered Cheese.  8% IPA brewed 100% with Citra, Simcoe, and Tomahawk lupulin powders.  Very interesting concept that seemed to pay off.  This is drinking like straight juice at the moment.  None of the intensity that I come to expect with Other Half beers. This could have gone either way for me, but they delivered.  

This is the regular version.  Very little difference between the two. Still quite enjoyable.

LIC Beer Project Higher Burnin'.  7% IPA brewed with Belma, El Dorado, and Mosaic.  Nice berry notes in this one.  Has that subdued sweetness and bready backend I've come to appreciate with LIC beers.  Great mouthfeel for 7%.  Definitely a worthy purchase.  

NY's beer scene has been blowing up as of late, and now it's extending into upstate NY.  Equilibrium and Hudson Valley are doing can releases now and have been competing with the best of them.  Hoping to get my hands on some of their stuff so I can post some feedback on here.

Happy Sunday, NT. 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
Good stuff CF. I'll be in NYC for a bachelor party next weekend. Trying to convince the fellas to hitup some beer spots. We'll see how that goes :lol:

Last night.

Also, picked up a Westbrook hazelnut chocolate imperial stout. I'll be cracking that this weekend. [emoji]128064[/emoji] for Focal banger and Sip of Sunshine IPA..

Today's pickups courtesy of the metalheads at TRVE Brewing.

It's their collab with Jester King...named after a damn fine Thin Lizzy song. Brewed using the original recipe for JK's Black Metal, fermented in oak with TRVE's house mixed culture on Texas blueberries and rose hips. Then refermented in stainless on a second batch of Texas blueberries,

To say this will be stellar is sure to be an understatement.

So, apparently I can't upload pics for some reason. Probably my phone. Anyway, I went and got a Hoppin Frog "T.O.R.I.S The Tyrant". Its a triple oatmeal imperial stout at 13.8% abv. I'm drinking it tonight and it's not bad. I don't know if I would get it again, but there are others ones from them I might try. Also, I picked up a "Cloaking Device" from Brooklyn Brewery and I'm stoked to try it.

I have a question for you guys, probably a newb question. How do you guys store and drink your beer?

This is chocolate cake in a can. First time I've had this and I'm impressed.

Last edited:
Cracked open a KBS tonight and it's tasting amazing.

I don't know it it's since I've just been drinking a lot of pales and IPAs or if these bottles are hitting their sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom